• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 PRELOADING Aug 17TH!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shawn123456 said:
ok i know i sound like a totaly n00b here but...when u guys are talking about preloading this stuff...what is it that u are d/ling NOW?..what is it that u WILL BE d/ling on the 17? what do u need to have b4 u can d/l this stuff...does it have to do with HL2? or is this just some new CS version? who is Gabe? :bang head

1) What i was talking about downloading NOW is Counter Strike: Source. Its CS on the Source Engine.
2) On the 17th we will be downloading HL2. You can buy it off valve, or if you have an ATi Coupon, you can download it with that.
3) You need STEAM to download this stuff.
4) Refer to #1 and #2.
5) Gabe Newell is the Owner/Founder of VALVe Software.

Sorry to spoil your fun, but HL2 is not coming in August. It will be September hopefully, this was stated at Gephoria on T.V. by a HL2 marketing guy. They said August is the last stage. September will hopefully be on store shelves. Exactly what he said.

Jarlaxe said:
Sorry to spoil your fun, but HL2 is not coming in August. It will be September hopefully, this was stated at Gephoria on T.V. by a HL2 marketing guy. They said August is the last stage. September will hopefully be on store shelves. Exactly what he said.

Did someone claim it would be out in August? I must be losing my memory... what was I saying???

Oh yeah, I know someone refered to HL2 sarcastic as vaporware, but for anyone who doesn't know, it was sarcasm. If anyone truely believes its all fake and the game has never been in developement or will never come out I'll cover your bet and give you decent odds.

It may take 5 or 6 years (total), but I think we all know its for real.

Now if you want to get in on the Dawn beta testing, I can hook you up. I was accepted!!!

Agent_Mull said:
OK, and when it does come out, ill say i told you so.
LOL!!

Jarlaxe said:
Nobody said it was coming out in August, they said some stuff would be preloaded to Steam, we all know HL2 is not going to happen in August, I'd say it may go gold toward the end of August but that would be it.

For anyone who says that its vaporware, i know about 20 people who have a 1.4gb file that says otherwise.....

And no one has ever said it was coming out in august.

And for you people who dont think that hl2 will be better than farcry or d3, might i direct your attention to this years E3 video where someone thru a grenade at gordon and he pulled out his manipulator gun and tossed it back at the guys. Ive never heard about anyone doing that in farcry or d3 :-/ .

I'm too lazy to look it up but there is a quote by one of the VALVe guys that HL2 will pre-load a while before release. All it is pre-loading is sound and files that can't/won't be changed.

So it probably isn't BS but it dosen't really mean anything worthwhile. I'm still banking (and hopeing ;)) on a Sept. 30th release date.

I want a sep 30th release too. By then the football season will be almost over, so i will have more time to play it.

OC Noob said:
Superbowl is early January, so you must be a Cardinals fan, lol.
No, im talkin bout highschool football. Im playing again this year, so i have practices everyday after school and on some saturdays.

Agent_Mull said:
No, im talkin bout highschool football. Im playing again this year, so i have practices everyday after school and on some saturdays.
Oh man, football is so not worth it. 2 adays, 4 days aweek during the summer was cuttin into my video game time. I am trying not to get off topic but I have to ask these; what position? what state? and what school?

Back on track, I think it might be released before late september and I beleive valve will be on time for the pre loading. When they are this close to completion, it is not hard to give a realistic date.

bojangles said:
Oh man, football is so not worth it. 2 adays, 4 days aweek during the summer was cuttin into my video game time. I am trying not to get off topic but I have to ask these; what position? what state? and what school?

Back on track, I think it might be released before late september and I beleive valve will be on time for the pre loading. When they are this close to completion, it is not hard to give a realistic date.

D/O Tackle, Kansas, Shawnee Mission East Lancers.

Really im doing this more to get in shape and loose weight.

Yeah, you might as well play while you can. My friends and I still have good laughs about stupid stuff that happened during football. Good times.

Plus, you can always play games all night and sleep during class.

But luckily this year the weather might be a little bit cooler. Its supposed to be 82!!! the first day of practice. Last year it was like 104.

Agent_Mull said:
D/O Tackle, Kansas, Shawnee Mission East Lancers.
Really im doing this more to get in shape and loose weight.
WRESTLING!! You lose more weight than football and the 1vs1 part is awesome. It is by far my new favorite sport. But like OC noob(i will steal that beaver) said, the memories are by far the best part. Most of mine are big hits, but some are really funny ones. Anyway, HL2 get out soon! I need a new clan like I wish I was a ninja :sn:

If they want really get the fever up for the game, how about a playable demo? If it's that far along that should be an easy order to fill. I don't think it'll show this year, if it does, more around Christmas.
And lest we forget, the most impressive factor in FarCry was the non linear gameplay, something not experienced since the original Deus EX. Doom3 is fun, but linear tracking is what it's all about. HL2 has got a big hurdle to leap and I don't think they're making it. That's why the constant delays. The unfortunate side effect is that as they delay, the hurdle keeps rising with new releases. I sincerely hope it lives up to all of your expectations, but for me, when i see it, I'll believe it. Does anyone remember Diakatana? (sp?) Hyped to death and tanked upon release.

well, i guess we will wait till the 17th to find out. not that big of a deal to me personally.

i'm still running a GeForce 3 TI200. i could barly run doom 3 right now. so maybe the delay in HL2 will allow me to be able to get a new card here eventually.

Oh, and i once dated a girl, who's last name was ferguson.....she was crazy! i broke up with her after a month of dating, and she called my house every day for a month.

funny thing is, i'm getting a new job at systemax, and while being walked through the place, low and behold who did i see working there? my Ex. this could be interesting.....

Back