• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virtualdub - cutting out commercials/joining avi's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Virtualdub seems to do everything, except apparently, these. I've had it with tv dvd recorders, so I'm just recording via capture card to mpeg1 (haven't had any luck with divx recording realtime, problems with the audio sync). However in some cases, I have to cut out commercials. Can virtualdub or something else, preferably free, do this?

Virtualdub can do this, but isn't particularly good when you're working with audio streams. There is an alternative, virtualdubmod, which has more features for audio handling. By the way, Xvid > Divx :p

However, I'm looking at this from an encoding standpoint. I don't have any experience with video capture, but I've heard that virtualdub is better than vdubmod for capping. You may want to just play around with these programs and see which one ends up being better.

Edit: If you're working with MPEG videos in virtualdub(mod), you'll most likely have to process the video through Avisynth, which adds a layer of difficulty, but works quite well if you know what you're doing. Virtualdub itself was designed for AVI video.

Last edited:
Back