• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency! failed flashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phoenix87

Tried flashing my fx5900se to a 5950 but getting artifacts horribly and cant boot into windows now. I tried flashing it back to the stock bios but nvflash says that the card IDs dont match(0333 compared to 0331). Ive tried going into xbios and changing both of the IDs to 0333 so I could flash but xbios has no option for 0333. I also see that nvflash has a command to ignore the card ID and flash anyways but I cant seem to get it to work. Anyone know the exact command?

Please help!

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Phoenix87 said:
Tried flashing my fx5900se to a 5950 but getting artifacts horribly and cant boot into windows now. I tried flashing it back to the stock bios but nvflash says that the card IDs dont match(0333 compared to 0331). Ive tried going into xbios and changing both of the IDs to 0333 so I could flash but xbios has no option for 0333. I also see that nvflash has a command to ignore the card ID and flash anyways but I cant seem to get it to work. Anyone know the exact command?

Please help!

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

did you check to see if your card can handle those speeds? especially the ram

Nebulous said:
Use WFFLASH instead of the nvflash. Also rename the original bios file to FX5900SE.ROM. Follow This guide

wfflash says no nvhardware/nvpath found :( .

edit; more bad news. when trying to flash to the original bios(was unable to, same problem with board ID) I hit the wrong key and nvflash did something to the soft straps. Now the card wont even post. The fan spins but no video. Both now wfflash/nvflash say there is no NV hardware connected. Did I just make a really expensive paperweight? :cry:

Dont know how I screwed something so simple like this up so bad. :temper:

Last edited:
Phoenix87 said:

edit; more bad news. when trying to flash to the original bios(was unable to, same problem with board ID) I hit the wrong key and nvflash did something to the soft straps. Now the card wont even post. The fan spins but no video. Both now wfflash/nvflash say there is no NV hardware connected. Did I just make a really expensive paperweight? :cry:

oh oh, looks like you did :( Your best bet at this point is an RMA. Where did you get the info of flashing your 5900SE to an ultra @ first? I'm sure it's posted everywhere that the SE version of the 5900 cannot be flashed to a higher end card. It's suicide. The XT has a better chance to be flashed than the SE.

oh oh, looks like you did Your best bet at this point is an RMA.

I hate it when people suggest to rma something that they broke by trying to do something the product was never intended to do.

I own a 5900XT by MSI. I flashed it to a 5950U using the Gainward BIOS and the NVFLASH. Works like a charm set at 425/900.

Phoenix87 said:

This happened with my 5900XT.

Firstly, I fitted a PCI VGA card so I could see what was going on (leaving the AGP card fitted)

Secondly I booted into nvflash 4.41
At the prompt I typed;
A:\NVFlash -e

This erased the bios fully.

Lastly I flashed the BIOS successfully.

A:\nvflash -p -u -r -j ROMNAME.xxx

Hope this helps :)

Just load RivaTuner or a similar program, then downclock the card to speeds it can handle, because when you flashed it, its trying to run at 475/950.

Back