• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rheobus LED mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have a Sunbeam Rheobus that I want to mod the LED's on. This thing, as we all know, is very bright, and I want to swap the colors of the LED's as well. I have been thinking about going with a green and black theme with my Antec 900 for a while now. This would involve swapping out the blue LED TriCool fans with something with green LED's, like Yate Loon lows. The blue/red LED's the Rheobus has now won't look too good with the green, IMO, so I have been looking around for something to swap them with. Since all of my reading says that the LED's are socketed, that should mean that the work will be quite easy. The problem I have, is that I am not really sure what the specs on the LED's that I get to replace them should be. I know I need 5mm, but I'm not sure about voltage, resistance, amperage, and brightness. I found a set of blue/green the other night, for around $1.25 each plus shipping, and I can just flip them around so they are green at the voltage I will be running the fans at. Does anyone know what these brightness numbers mean? I will see if I can pull up a link again.:thup:

Edit: HERE is a link to the LED's that I was looking at. If they are just as bright as what is currently in the Rheobus, I can always just solder a 22k ohm resistor in place of the center leg. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Anybody have any thoughts? I found the same LED's elsewhere for $0.99 each, but the shipping was close to $8. I'm not quite sure I want to spend about $12 on 4 LED's. I am also not quite sure how bright they will be, and whether or not I will need to add a resistor to the ground lead to tame the brightness.

Hey deadly, looking at the LED,s you have linked I would say you would still need 22k ohm resistor as they look pretty bright

I don't know if they are socket bulbs unless you have the newest version.. which I thought I had (4channel), but I never opened it up to see how the LEDs are in there.. they are bright though

I don't mind the brightness atm cause I modded one of the bay covers on my 922 to block them using some anti-static bag as a diffuser!

Back