• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nervous about MMO's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MMOs are fun but a very different experience than standard RPGs. I play wow, have played it for the last 4 years. I have never had a problem with it getting in the way of other things I should be doing.

You just need to know how to limit yourself.

This is key.

For most people they will not realize it until it's too late. I was one of those people, not afraid to admit it.

I lost a lot of things during my MMO stink, some friends, a job, and simply put...part of my life. Never again. I'm finally back on track, new job, looking to start a new small business, etc.

MMOs are fun but a very different experience than standard RPGs.
In a non-MMO. It is hard to provoke a NPC with... You naive ophiophagus lizard.. Who has the breath of a rotten Dark Elf corpse. I challenge you to PvP! [While Clucking like a chicken...]

You don't see that in standard RPG.. :p You need humans for the random silly experiences. Yes a good friend of mine hated when in a battle I would start dancing. It would tork him to no end. He took it very serious, while I just wanted to have fun. He never grasped the fact it was a game meant for fun. Not a way of life in the role he was playing. I drive him batty when I play...
(He is the atypical 41 year old WoW player. Who lives in his mom's house... I've known him for 25 years, and very much make fun of him when he calls.)

I played WoW for 4 years, but eventually became disinterested in the game. I was never addicted, but it was my life for most of that time. It comes down to keeping your head in the real world every now and then and realizing where priorities should be. If you can keep the balance MMOs are great, but most can't.

LOL, lets stop arguing whats RPG and whats not.
MMORPG sounds more like sandbox style gameplay. Talking of morrowind, it too includes a lot of freedom which allows you to move outside the quest, however there still exists a definite storyline around which your progress is woven. I like that idea very much. Have a definite starting, lots of customization and lots of freedom in completing quests, but retaining the storyline is most crucial.

Yeah, I'm looking for RPG's that have an ending and ones that don't go on forever lol

Plus...I'm engaged now so I can't be sucked into any type of game that will suck the soul out of me :thup:

if you want a mmo with a story and does not go on forever unless you want it too by help people with quests etc then try guildwars you buy it and theres no monthly fee, and theres like 3 expansions for it and guildwars 2 will hopefully be out soon :)

if you want a mmo with a story and does not go on forever unless you want it too by help people with quests etc then try guildwars you buy it and theres no monthly fee, and theres like 3 expansions for it and guildwars 2 will hopefully be out soon :)

I would also suggest Guild Wars, plays like Diablo 2 (just my opinion), but not as easy to get hooked onto, plus it is fun, great sounds/music and graphics.

The thing I hate about MORPG's is that i feel more obligated to play. When i played guildwars we used to do a lot of PVP which requires 8 people to be online. So, if i had to stop for some reason it was a lot harder to say " oh i have to go" with out getting the 3rd degree. If it was single player, i hit save and its no big deal.

hmmmm... I still play EQ (evercrack) but here lately it just isn't holding my interest... I'm actually kinda looking forward to Dragon Age:Orgins ... Single player RPG .... And D3 of coorse whenever Blizz gets that out (after SC2) ... soooo.. and MMO's can be huge timesinks and make people lose sight of the real world and they can lose alot of stuff... You hear it every day and as these guys said.. use a little restraint... My wife plays EQ as well so thats kinda cool... :)

Thing about MMOs is its hard to get anywhere without giving up the better part of your day, Thats why I don't play WoW anymore.

Game modules and ref mtl. does not include boxed materials and Miniatures in storage:) These new games are cool but they do not capture the essence of the original.

D&D.JPG

Game modules and ref mtl. does not include boxed materials and Miniatures in storage:) These new games are cool but they do not capture the essence of the original.

I used to love reading those books. Never had any friends interested in actually playing but who cares? Reading the stuff was entertainment enough for me.

WOW Archer... seeing all that brings back memories... I used to own a gaming store and played alot of AD&D.. I still have my original Fiend Folio.... I have boxes and boxes of old stuff that didn't sell in storage..... I have quite a few mini's too.... Alot of Reaper figs not the original AD&D but a few of those as well.. My store catered to Warhammer 40K peeps as well...

WOW Archer... seeing all that brings back memories... I used to own a gaming store and played alot of AD&D.. I still have my original Fiend Folio.... I have boxes and boxes of old stuff that didn't sell in storage..... I have quite a few mini's too.... Alot of Reaper figs not the original AD&D but a few of those as well.. My store catered to Warhammer 40K peeps as well...

The problem IMHO is that people wont dedicate time to play these games anymore and I must admit it is easier to fire up the computer jump in get dirty and be done. I had recently gotten into the Heroscape thing but that is boxed up (the whole set (READ: All of it) as of mid last year) as well but this summer it shall see light and the games shall begin (If I cant find more players I will breed more:cool:).

I am not saying that people these days are less intelligent than in previous years but I am saying that this newer gen of games is rotting the brain as to the lack of rules and necessity to learn volumes. Avalon hill was also a big seller back in the old days. ASL (Too many manuals for me) was one of the most complex gaming systems I had ever seen and to this day nothing has come close, although not an rpg it was the same scope. I wish I had a time machine:cry: and yes I am getting choked up and a little glassy eyed.

I like the idea of being captivated by a story that's not an ongoing thing (such as an MMO).

Oblivion is the perfect example. It's a game that's just around the 100 hour mark and that's just perfect for me.

It's just that I have this friend who showed me Guild Wars and it brought back memories of FFXII and Oblivion.

Has anyone seen the episode of South Park where the kids spend their lives developing characters to take down someone who was unstoppable in WOW?

Hilarious but what I'm afraid of lol

I like the idea of being captivated by a story that's not an ongoing thing (such as an MMO).

Oblivion is the perfect example. It's a game that's just around the 100 hour mark and that's just perfect for me.

It's just that I have this friend who showed me Guild Wars and it brought back memories of FFXII and Oblivion.

Has anyone seen the episode of South Park where the kids spend their lives developing characters to take down someone who was unstoppable in WOW?

Hilarious but what I'm afraid of lol

MOMMM!!!! BATHROOM!!

I jumped into MMO's back in 2001/2002. Gotta say I've played....

EQ, DAoC, EVE-Online, WoW Beta/EQ2 , EVE-Online, Warhammer, EVE-Online in that order.

It can be a big time waster you have to know how to limit yourself or not get too involved. You make lots of friends as well when your in there and thats the second issue, where if they need help you might be playing more then you would normally. I've made alot of friends over the years, some have left some continue to play said games.

Got to take baby steps but as well if you are out to get the best of the best usually you have to sink a fair bit of time into getting such items. If its casual play no problem, but as well its not like you can jump in and do something for 10min and log out, you have to set a chunk of time to play it. If you can get a 1-2 hour block down for just doing the game, it will be a better experiance. More can get you into more area's or quests, less and you'll be spending most of your time just trying to catch up to your group.

Uhm, in a (r)ole (p)laying (g)ame you play a role of a character. That, by definition is a role playing game. No other criteria. Care to explain how modern MMORPGs don't qualify? Your definition of an RPG is based on an arbitrary standard of 'single player PC RPG is the only type of RPG!' By that same token, others might say 'D&D is the only REAL RPG!!' and they'd be just as wrong.

Nope, if you don't see a stark difference betwee CRPGs like Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, etc, and MMORPGs then we'll just agree to disagree right up front. I'm sure there's plenty in both of our camps.

I'll end this argument real fast, because you're both wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

Slang can redefine any word as anything as long as it's useful in communication between two individuals the same idea. If you feel that RPG means something else or has a broader definition and your friends agree, then great.

That being said, table top RPG's are the only real RPG's. No other game lets you make your own choice and in theory give you consequinces that truly match your decision. Thus, you can truly play your role, and the world responds to your role. It's not just something you tell yourself or your friends to entertain you while you off killing rats with candles on thier hands that speak like chinese people.

Basically, table top RPG's came first and own the definition, and are also the closest thing to a ROLE PLAYING experience available. WoW doesn't even attempt it. You just pick a different set of horns and a different color mane and pretend your origional. :)

I'll end this argument real fast, because you're both wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

Slang can redefine any word as anything as long as it's useful in communication between two individuals the same idea. If you feel that RPG means something else or has a broader definition and your friends agree, then great.

That being said, table top RPG's are the only real RPG's. No other game lets you make your own choice and in theory give you consequinces that truly match your decision. Thus, you can truly play your role, and the world responds to your role. It's not just something you tell yourself or your friends to entertain you while you off killing rats with candles on thier hands that speak like chinese people.

Basically, table top RPG's came first and own the definition, and are also the closest thing to a ROLE PLAYING experience available. WoW doesn't even attempt it. You just pick a different set of horns and a different color mane and pretend your origional. :)

While I'm all for table-top RPGs, I was specifically comparing MMO's to the CRPG genre that the OP stated he enjoyed. As I stated in my post, about the only real thing an MMO has from the generally accepted CRPG genre is the fact that you make a character and play it. :) Story, plotlines, memorable NPCs, decision-based consequences, and other things that CRPG fans tend to enjoy are for the most part absent from MMOs. It's just a completely different type of game.

Hhmmm...I think I'll stick with RPG's and leave the MMO's out for now.

At least until I see how DC Universe does :)

Back