• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2007FPW has been FIXED! Excellent News!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are they shipping newly purchased monitors with this fix and has anyone gotten one yet? The 24th was about a week ago.

Run a banding test on it. This means get a gradient (Preferably multi-gradients with RGB) and see if you see any line clusters on the gradient, if it is extremely noticable, then yes you have the banding issue.

lemings said:
I was under the impression you were perfectly happy with your display as it is? Did I become mistaken at some point :)?

I was happy with it initially, and still pretty happy now. But the more and more i thought about it, i came to the realization that i spent $400 on something that is known to be broken. Sure not a big deal if it doesn't bother me, but what about when i go to sell it? I could buy something similiar and it will retain its value much better, add to that it won't be screwed up....so no, i guess you could say i'm not happy with it anymore ;)

the nice thing about the dell fix is that they actually ship you a monitor first. You then place your broken monitor in the box when you get it,slap the airbill on the box, and call a number for someone to pick it up.

there is no downtime, you dont loose a monitor for a week-4 while dell exchanges it. They have already posted that if you request a replacement through this process (by pming the moderator at dell support forums) you will get a NEW monitor. Not a refurbished monitor like everyone else gets for a replacement. So i think its a win-win situation.

Now all we have to do is wait for these puppies to show up flashed. My replacement monitor shipped today from dell, so I will report back when I get it tomorrow if it has the banding problem or not. I will be able to tell right away.

Even if its not fixed, I will have a nice monitor that is mostly usuable until they send me a new fixed one. The little bit of banding never botherd me while playing counter-strike so I have something to keep me busy in the meantime.

I'm worried i'll get one with dead pixels. If the new one comes with any, i would send that one back rather than the one with banding.

EternalX said:
there is no downtime, you dont loose a monitor for a week-4 while dell exchanges it. They have already posted that if you request a replacement through this process (by pming the moderator at dell support forums) you will get a NEW monitor. Not a refurbished monitor like everyone else gets for a replacement. So i think its a win-win situation.

Don't believe everything you hear. I replaced three 2005fpws. One of them was a refurb and in tatters, after being specfically told that it would be brand new. I got a refund after weeks of trouble.

so i got one of these "last wednesday" it has the problem.... its very nice but the color just annpyed me the banding problem, i will get a replacement soon though, working on it as we speak, very nice other wise.

On the note of crappy Dell support, however...this (language, once in a while, but mostly justified) is a story of why nobody can get replacement parts from Dell in a timely manner. It details the story of a friend of mine and his struggle with warranty support. *sigh*

But it's good to see that they're at least trying to fix manufacturer defects.

Someone in the Dell forums apparently got a revised version, A02. ChrisM confirmed that if it says that on the monitor, it's all good. I'm still awaiting for the guy who got it to confirm the fixes by running through the appropriate tests, or for someone else to when they get it; but, from his preliminary evaluation, just off looks, it seems fine (*crosses fingers*).

i had to cancle my thing, i had pm chrisM, but i had anothewr problem, i suspect that is has thing to do with the power ? i dont know, i tryed to turn it on and i hear buzzing the screen gave me a flickery image, then lost signal all together, so i call'em up and they will have me another one by wednesday, if it has the banding problem i'll will get one that has been flashed.

Sorry for the jack, but does this monitor come with HDCP? It doesn't look like it from Dell's website.

Wwing49 said:
Sorry for the jack, but does this monitor come with HDCP? It doesn't look like it from Dell's website.

yes the 2007 is HTPC. That and the backlight bleeding issues are the only 2 things that they changed from the 2005

got my new one today, "was sent out on monday" so it was ncie that they have fast shipping but this one still has the banding issue, so im gonna have to talk to chrisM tomorrow about getting another.

Anything new ? I PM'ed chrisM about a week ago with my info , and haven't heard anything new....

Yeah, once I get confirmtion that the problem really is fixed, I'll check into it. Try to keep this bumped so we can all get a verdict on how Dell is fixing this problem.

Just a quick question. Exactly how long does it take Dell to ship something? I ordered monday night and took the 3-5 day shipping option. Unfortunately, the package still hasn't even arrived at the carrier station. If this is going to take until next friday, then Dell should really call it the 8-10 day shipping instead.

From the anandtech forums...
You can read the entire 25page post here

mpc7488 said:
Direct Quote for the lazy.

"Sorry for the long wait. We do have a fix in place. Dell has a firmware update that adjusts the ACC (Adaptive Color and Contrast) & ACM (Active Color Management) features, eliminating the banding issue when using the Desktop mode. All of these monitors have three display modes: Desktop, Multimedia and Gaming. The firmware turns off Faroudja video processing in Desktop mode. It remains enabled in the other two modes. Essentially, the updated firmware allows users to choose whether they want the Faroudja video processing feature on or off. I understand your time is valuable. I will private message all of you with details in the next day or two. Please update your forum profile."

I know Faroudja is a type of video processing to improve quality, it's used in a lot of plasmas, projection TVs and DVD players. Don't know a lot about the details, but it seems to me that the banding was also bad if not worse in Gaming and Multimedia modes, and apparently this "fix" only applies to Desktop mode, so I fail to see how it can address the banding issues entirely. Time will tell.

Back