• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next generation of MMO's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Perhaps its a bit early to be asking this, but when do you expect the next generation of MMO's will be out? IE World of Warcraft 2, Everquest 3. Or, are there any others in the making that you guys are looking forward to? I played WoW for a little while, but the "fetch this, go there" got very old, very fast, especialy considering there wasn't much to look at. :shrug:

well, i'm not sure WHEN they will be out...but i'm willing to bet there will be a " feature " in it.

you use real world money, to buy virtual money in the game, or use real world money to buy virtual items in the game..

i would garantee, that we will see this happen more and more in MMORPG's as they progress through time.

yeah, i'm not a big fan of " Fetch this, Gather this, Talkt to this guy ". Bah, i hate missions. I like a decent story, but don't like a million little missions.

Give me a mission that says, Eventually go kill this guy. Then, once he is dead, kill the guy thats stronger than him....etc..

zexmarquies01 said:
well, i'm not sure WHEN they will be out...but i'm willing to bet there will be a " feature " in it.

you use real world money, to buy virtual money in the game, or use real world money to buy virtual items in the game..

i would garantee, that we will see this happen more and more in MMORPG's as they progress through time.

yeah, i'm not a big fan of " Fetch this, Gather this, Talkt to this guy ". Bah, i hate missions. I like a decent story, but don't like a million little missions.

Give me a mission that says, Eventually go kill this guy. Then, once he is dead, kill the guy thats stronger than him....etc..

this is already happening. It started with EQ1. Do a search on ebay. There are TON's of stuff for sale on there. I was always amazed that this went on.

most games dont allow selling of in game items and money on ebay and what not, however i think Sony has their own thing to allow the selling of items and gold from EQ2...
As for the next gen MMO's theres D&D online, Middle Earth Online that i can think of off the top of my head...there is another one kind of like Guild Wars but more focusd on story and quest than PvP...I dont think we will be seeing EQ3 or WoW2 for a very very very long time...especially the WoW2...but as for things id like to see:

revamped combat system

I'd like the chat systems to go back to how they used to be....ie no general chat and what not

Player housing that doesnt mess up landscape or make npc cities ghost towns.

Make non quest hunting worthwhile via loot (think AC)

more dev controlled events!!

http://www.project-entropia.com/ has uses the pay real money for ingame money thing. That really doesn't work for regular games though. You end up having what we have in FFXI where gil sellers ruin the economy making it almost impossible to buy the items we need unless we buy gil.

Guild Wars seems to be a step in the right direction...I don't own it but the graphics look awesome, and there's no monthly fee.

zexmarquies01 said:

Heh, a good example of this is Gunbound, which I just got back into. It was initially free and could only gain money through winning rounds, so it sorta skipped a step with no pay-to-play. In my opinion, this only leads to greedy, rich kiddies buying to their hearts content and be as cheap, and annoying, as they want to be (charity is unheard of, and rude, detached spamming is abundant).

I mean, it just splits the community like it does in real life with the upper class and lower class, not to mention the diminishing middle; where the lower are simply frustrated with the upper's naivety of their hardships, and the upper...well, I don't know, cuz I'm not one of them. Sorry for being a bit extreme and leaking a bit of politics in, but I hope my idea of where next gen MMO's I feel shouldn't, but probably will, be heading.

fuzzba11 said:
Guild Wars seems to be a step in the right direction...I don't own it but the graphics look awesome, and there's no monthly fee.

I disagree, instancing is a step in the wrong direction imo. I think that it kills the community, encourages less interaction between people ect.

plus i dont see Guild Wars as a true MMO :p

Well my idea was just a thought.

i got the idea from Project Entropia.

That, and the new " Market place " for the Xbox360.

Maybe...just maybe...some company will make a MMO with a REAL and indebth storyline! it just MAY happen sometime!

Compaired to regular RPG's, MMO's have no story.

in a Regular RPG, the story is what drives you to go farther...to see what happens next.

in a MMO..the only drive you really have is to get stronger...to be able to PVP better.

and Guildwars is not a MMORPG in my opinion. But the game is done well ( except for all those updates they just did...screwing over legit players, to make people who use bots have a harder time farming ).

when you have intances, like in GW, it instantly turns off the MM part of an MMORPG. That, and i hate..i hate..i hate Battle areana's. If a company is going to put in PVP...make it real pvp.
If i'm walking around..and i see that i don't like your hat, i shoot a fireball at you! at any point, anywhere! THATS PVP. that also makes you want to play more, so you won't get killed while playing as well. It adds a degree of dificulty, and excitment to the game.

maybe its just me, but i like REAL PVP...not the kind thats in a battle arena, or where both parties have to agree to fight. Bah. Someone kill steals your Mob, you kill the player.

zexmarquies01 said:
Well my idea was just a thought.

i got the idea from Project Entropia.

That, and the new " Market place " for the Xbox360.

Maybe...just maybe...some company will make a MMO with a REAL and indebth storyline! it just MAY happen sometime!

Compaired to regular RPG's, MMO's have no story.

in a Regular RPG, the story is what drives you to go farther...to see what happens next.

in a MMO..the only drive you really have is to get stronger...to be able to PVP better.

and Guildwars is not a MMORPG in my opinion. But the game is done well ( except for all those updates they just did...screwing over legit players, to make people who use bots have a harder time farming ).

when you have intances, like in GW, it instantly turns off the MM part of an MMORPG. That, and i hate..i hate..i hate Battle areana's. If a company is going to put in PVP...make it real pvp.
If i'm walking around..and i see that i don't like your hat, i shoot a fireball at you! at any point, anywhere! THATS PVP. that also makes you want to play more, so you won't get killed while playing as well. It adds a degree of dificulty, and excitment to the game.

maybe its just me, but i like REAL PVP...not the kind thats in a battle arena, or where both parties have to agree to fight. Bah. Someone kill steals your Mob, you kill the player.

As for story in an MMO I guess you have not tried Asherons Call 1? not really worth trying now, but back in the day it was a great game, a lot of history from the game and lots of lore you could find also. Monthly updates to push the story ahead...dev controlled events with the main chars...towns were destroyed ect....

As for PvP WoW was the most fun for me....the constant battle between Tarren Mill and South Shore was just fun :)

zex, you do know the cons of real pvp right? You know that someone who is more powerful then say 90% of the people in the game will stay in busy areas and just kill everyone, because they feel like being jerks.. thats not fun.

I coulnt see getting into guildwars due to all the instancing, to me the people everywhere is what a mmo is about, if you are instanced all the time you might as welll play a normal rpg

guild wars isnt and should never be considered a MMO its a great competitive game but not an MMO. I think the more advanced MMOs of tommorow will be HUGE, making WoW look small in comparison. ANd they will also allow true character customization not half assed like we see in most of todays MMO's

madcow235 said:
guild wars isnt and should never be considered a MMO its a great competitive game but not an MMO. I think the more advanced MMOs of tommorow will be HUGE, making WoW look small in comparison. ANd they will also allow true character customization not half assed like we see in most of todays MMO's

exactly, it was always fun grouping with random people in dungeons while i played AC....

zexmarquies01 said:

*ahem*

Lineage 2 anyone? Sorry, but you WoW carebears don't know a thing about PvP ;)

madcow235 said:

I really hope this happens. A friend of mine said to me, "wouldn't it be awesome if we lived in the World of Warcraft world?" I replied with something to the extent of, "Yes, it would be nice if we could walk across the face of the earth in about an hour, couldn't interact with our enviroments, and had nothing better to do that kill random animals in the wild." There seems no point in doing quests because they are all the same, and likely you will get to the end only to find someone has already done it and you have to wait 10 minutes before this "creature who has been plauging our lands" respawns. That pretty much sums up my feelings toward the current generation of games.

This same friend mentioned above got from level 1 to 50 by doing nothing but waking up in the morning and killing random creatures until he went to bed at night for almost a month. His brother paid some guy $150 to level him from 25 to 40, so he could "skip the boring stuff" and get to the PvP faster.

I rather like getting new items and leveling up, but I would also like to see a LITTLE bit of skill involved in these games, not just "I put 200 hours into my character so he wins". Guild wars is a step in the right direction in that aspect, but they need to rid themselves of instances.

Yuriman said:
I really hope this happens. A friend of mine said to me, "wouldn't it be awesome if we lived in the World of Warcraft world?" I replied with something to the extent of, "Yes, it would be nice if we could walk across the face of the earth in about an hour, couldn't interact with our enviroments, and had nothing better to do that kill random animals in the wild." There seems no point in doing quests because they are all the same, and likely you will get to the end only to find someone has already done it and you have to wait 10 minutes before this "creature who has been plauging our lands" respawns. That pretty much sums up my feelings toward the current generation of games.

This same friend mentioned above got from level 1 to 50 by doing nothing but waking up in the morning and killing random creatures until he went to bed at night for almost a month. His brother paid some guy $150 to level him from 25 to 40, so he could "skip the boring stuff" and get to the PvP faster.

I rather like getting new items and leveling up, but I would also like to see a LITTLE bit of skill involved in these games, not just "I put 200 hours into my character so he wins". Guild wars is a step in the right direction in that aspect, but they need to rid themselves of instances.

and i completly agree! thats why i don't play WoW. i find it boring..and the same thing over and over and over. Pretty much the same with all MMO's. They have you do the same thing over and over...gets boring.

and Jay23 yes, i played lineage 2. I prefer that type of PVP. It gives you a real reason to leve, and get stronger. It adds compeition.

and even if a high level is pwning everyone...just get everyone to gang up on the dude. Sure, he can take out 1 or 2 people at once, but i'm sure he'd die pretty quickly to 10+ high level characters.

Yeah, Guildwars is making a good step up, but its not quite all the way there. Even if they got rid of the whole instance thing....to me there is still something missing from guild wars....maybe its the lack of diverse weapons and armor. or that it doesn't have REAL PVP. i dunno...but its missing something...and because of that..i'm not playing it ( even though i do own it and have it installed ). I might just wait till a expansion pack comes out, see whats all in it. Then i might give it a shot again.

Companies just need to sit down, look at all MMO's that are out. Find out what properties of those games is good, and which ones are bad. And base a game from that concept. And get, and use feedback. See what people want/dislike.

One thing i dislike about some MMO's is the fact that you HAVE to party ( like FFXI ), Or the opposite...where you are pretty much stuck soloing. They need to make something that has a bit of both. but don't FORCE us to party. That causes more headaches than ANYTHING in my opinion...it can be sooo hard fiding a good party that know what they are doing. And the opposite is true, its hard to play a game where no one wants to party and only solo.

Stuff like that needs to be looked at, and sorted though, and then work from there.

I think the next generation consoles are going to spark the next generation of MMORPGs but cheese is good.

Last edited:
Back