• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Demanding Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lengalicious

Registered
Basically just wondering if there are any games on par with metro 2033 and crysis 1 that i could test out on my rig, most the games i've been playing recently are just mediocre console ports, so yeh any names would be great atm =D

Crysis 2 is supposed to be pretty heavy but it ran good on mine which kind of shocked me. Yours should run it better I would imagine but you might try that out.

Battlefield 3, oh wait haha, All i can think of are the ones you already said. Ive got a hunch that BF3 will be the new "crysis"

thanks for the replies guys, I've tried out most those games but I must say i am curious about that flight simulator X. =) But meh I guess I'll just be waiting around for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim =D. Those do look very nice indeed ^_^.

FSX will bring your CPU to its knees when it's on high settings. I loaded it up on my sig rig yesterday and had to bring a lot of the settings down to get it as smooth as I wanted it. Kinda ticked me off, actually, coming from an Athlon 64x2 6000+ to this I was hoping to be able to bring the settings way up. Not so. It's a CPU killer.

Crysis 2 is supposed to be pretty heavy but it ran good on mine which kind of shocked me. Yours should run it better I would imagine but you might try that out.

Thats becasue crysis 2 is a mediocre console port....

Your best bet would be to mod crysis 1 with reallifesys or something.

or maybe on of the stalker games with some mod.
Theres not a lot out there.
Maybe Unigine heaven benchmark or tropics.:rofl:

Last edited:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with the Complete mod. It isn't a system killer but should give it a workout. Fun game too.

Arma and Arma 2 will give your system a good work out.

Arma 2 I would have to agree would give it a very good workout.

Crysis 1 w/ mods (more GPU than anything)
FSX (cpu killer)
SC II (cpu killer)

Supreme Commander is a little of both CPU and GPU, but its really only good for dual cores, quad does help it out but doesn't stress it fully.

X3:TC (hits the cpu but only dual core, GPU it can hit nicely as well, just crank it all up)

I think when September comes around with BF3, Skyrim, and X Rebirth those will be system hitters where we can see systems screaming for more... hopefully. Gives me something to look forward to in the future for upgrading, well after those are out pretty content right now.

STALKER - all mods full series
Metro 2033
Mirrors edge(physx is excellent)
Crysis1/warhead
ARMA 2
Mafia 2
GTA IV
Cryostasis
and to many more to really list.

I was very shocked when I installed Stalker COP and saw the graphics. They were worse then DX 8 games. I never installed mods to make it look better but as a DX 11 game, it should look fantastic out of the box. It was utter crap.

As for good looking demanding games, go with Dirt 2 (Dirt 3 is coming later), BFBC2, F1 2010 is decent, Mafia 2, Bulletstorm, UT3, AVP, Dead Space 2 looks good but won't make your system sweat one bit, Just Cause 2 is REALLY good and is huge, Bioshocks look good, Mass Effect and Assasins supposedly look good.

There is a huge difference between a game being demanding, and a game looking good. If it's poorly optimized and demanding but looks like crap then who cares. If PAC Man only runs at 5fps who cares. There some really good looking games that you might get 150fps in, but if it looks stunning and that should be all that matters. Even though typically more demanding games look better.

I was very shocked when I installed Stalker COP and saw the graphics. They were worse then DX 8 games. I never installed mods to make it look better but as a DX 11 game, it should look fantastic out of the box. It was utter crap.

As for good looking demanding games, go with Dirt 2 (Dirt 3 is coming later), BFBC2, F1 2010 is decent, Mafia 2, Bulletstorm, UT3, AVP, Dead Space 2 looks good but won't make your system sweat one bit, Just Cause 2 is REALLY good and is huge, Bioshocks look good, Mass Effect and Assasins supposedly look good.

There is a huge difference between a game being demanding, and a game looking good. If it's poorly optimized and demanding but looks like crap then who cares. If PAC Man only runs at 5fps who cares. There some really good looking games that you might get 150fps in, but if it looks stunning and that should be all that matters. Even though typically more demanding games look better.

QFT. World of Warcraft has never been a visually superb game, but when they instituted the poorly coded shadows...wow, nothing could run them on full without stuttering.

thanks for the replies guys, I've tried out most those games but I must say i am curious about that flight simulator X. =) But meh I guess I'll just be waiting around for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim =D. Those do look very nice indeed ^_^.

FSX is neat but it isn't a game. It's an experience. There are challenges, like take off and find stranded party X, but for the most part it's just flying around with challenges like visibility, bad engines, crosswind, etc.

It will run nicely on your system. It really likes Fermi. You will be able to max it out.

Last edited:
Crysis 2 with the Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options Tool will make your system chug. The 'extreme' settings in that tool are 1 step above the extreme settings in the game. I ran that tool and set everything to max, my system managed around 25 fps with my resolution @ 1920x1080! :O

Crysis 2 with the Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options Tool will make your system chug. The 'extreme' settings in that tool are 1 step above the extreme settings in the game. I ran that tool and set everything to max, my system managed around 25 fps with my resolution @ 1920x1080! :O

25fps? I maxed it out at 1920x1080 and I get average about 40-45fps with a 6970. Oh wait Crossfire isn't supported well on Crysis 2 :(

25fps? I maxed it out at 1920x1080 and I get average about 40-45fps with a 6970. Oh wait Crossfire isn't supported well on Crysis 2 :(

Did you use the tool to max it out? Just using the extreme setting in the game itself I get around 50.. But the extreme setting with that tool takes it further.. I haven't been all that happy with crossfire either :/

Did you use the tool to max it out? Just using the extreme setting in the game itself I get around 50.. But the extreme setting with that tool takes it further.. I haven't been all that happy with crossfire either :/

Interesting... I have CF just fine in Crysis2 though i did change the exe to Bioshock but all my shuttering woes went away and got a nice FPS Jump...

Hitting bout 65-75 FPS running and shooting. Bout 90 sitting and looking. I am thinking AB is wrong idk how i am getting those #'s at 1080.

on 3 screens i see a massive drop.

Back