• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Help me mount a laptop screen on a desktop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kind of lost as of what to do now. Recommendations?

I need to somehow get the correct voltage flowing to the power wires, and use some sort of adapter to make the screen run off of VGA.

http://www.tri-m.com/products/iei/lvdsvga.html How does this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVI-VGA-audio-u..._EN_Networking_Components&hash=item3f090c9200 Or this?

If you wanna test it out, you can get 3.3/5/12V from a PSU, whichever it uses I forgot, and just connect a wire to the right spot on the connector. Your best bet is probably that second controller since the first one doesnt support your resolution. You might have to re-wire the LVDS connector since it looks like that controller board uses a standard 100mil header. This is something you can easily do yourself if you have a pin crimper, or you might be able to find an adapter. If you can't find anything, I can probably make you an adapter from the LVDS connector on the panel to 0.100 mil as long as we can get ahold of the mating connector.

If you wanna test it out, you can get 3.3/5/12V from a PSU, whichever it uses I forgot, and just connect a wire to the right spot on the connector. Your best bet is probably that second controller since the first one doesnt support your resolution. You might have to re-wire the LVDS connector since it looks like that controller board uses a standard 100mil header. This is something you can easily do yourself if you have a pin crimper, or you might be able to find an adapter. If you can't find anything, I can probably make you an adapter from the LVDS connector on the panel to 0.100 mil as long as we can get ahold of the mating connector.

Awesome stuff, but I would not mind buying some LVDS -> VGA adapter if that would work for this. All I want is to run the LVDS off of a VGA and supply the 12v power to it.

Awesome stuff, but I would not mind buying some LVDS -> VGA adapter if that would work for this. All I want is to run the LVDS off of a VGA and supply the 12v power to it.

Alright then I'd start off by finding an LVDS/VGA controller. The one you linked to is nice but you might be able to find one cheaper. Once you pick one out, we can go from there to figure out how to wire it up.

Alright then I'd start off by finding an LVDS/VGA controller. The one you linked to is nice but you might be able to find one cheaper. Once you pick one out, we can go from there to figure out how to wire it up.

Very good, I have found them for about 20 dollars or so. I will continue painting and working on it until I get something.

Where can I get a 40GB hard drive with Windows XP for a reasonably cheap price?

xp is east to....obtain and a 40 gb drive should be next to nothing at any comp store if they still carry sizes that small

Very good, I have found them for about 20 dollars or so. I will continue painting and working on it until I get something.

Where can I get a 40GB hard drive with Windows XP for a reasonably cheap price?

At this point, any 40GB hard drive will be cheap. You should check the OCF classifieds, though you'll need 100 posts to see it, if you're not there yet. Ebay is also another good place, or newegg.

Coming along amazingly great so far, Got all my painting done today..and about all is put together. Just need a HDD and an old drive case. I will be mounting four one inch fans as intake below the CD/DVD burning drive on top. They will be inside a hollowed out disk drive case. CPU cooling is good for a pentium four, and my exhaust is good as well. Also need to make my wiring longer for my lights and get a controller for my screen. I will get pics up later.

Bad news is the "j" key on my laptop's keyboard busted where the first mount joins the other. Cheap part broke as I was putting it back on after it mysteriously was off when I came home. I will fix that crap before I do anything else, going to cost me like a dollar to fix LOL, but I don't want to spend a month without it as it still is under warranty for four more years. Oh well.

Time for a quick photo update, took these pics 5 mins ago.

I should get more progress this weekend, and I will go to a computer shop this week to fix my busted key and check HDD prices.

25geatj.jpg
Back & side that screen will be mounted up on.

znvryp.jpg
Side that screen will be mounted to.

1z5t24k.jpg
Front & side that screen will be mounted on.

im6psy.jpg
Front. As you can see the fans are sitting there and need wiring and mounting inside a drive case.

30vc85t.jpg
Back & rear side panel.

j5v0ad.jpg
Freshly removed screen on unpainted and uncut side panel. Going to be a tight fit but I think after measured out this will fit mounted flush inside the case :)

As you can see I have the main part done, and just some smaller things left to do for now. Looks pretty sexy for just a little spray paint right? Turned out very good as far as even coat and smoothness on all the parts.

PC tower and over half the parts - free from neighbor who moved away.
DVD/CD burning disk drive - already had a spare.
5 added fans - already owned from tearing free stuff apart.
Wifi card - already had it as it was free and I was saving it.
Laptop screen - salvaged from a broken laptop, free.
2 Cans of flat black and 2 cans of electric yellow - $16.35
New nuts, washers, zippy ties, and bolts for mounting - $5.01
Primer and scratch filler - $1.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Total project cost as of Monday, May 9th, 2011 = $22.36

Needed list - HDD w/ OS, Drivers and crap, Old disk drive case, and a controller for the screen idea.

Let me know what you think

Last edited:
Apparently he hasn't been on since June 12 :( I have an lcd panel like this maybe I'll do something with it. Any ideas? Mounting on my case is not really do-able since its under my desk.

Back