• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Ultra Infinity vs. Abit NF7-S Rev. 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for quite a while (before the DFI board was even released), and I had some questions:

I have heard that the DFI uses some sort of different FSB values, and I was curious about the validity of this argument? If this is the case, then what is the difference between the DFI and the Abit's FSB values?

I am researching the issue for my thread on the basics of overclocking that has become somewhat out of date.....and I need as much information as possible to update it.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

With best regards,
Tray

27 people have looked at this, and none have been able to respond? Common guys, I need this information to help the newer members who have questions regarding overclocking.....

With best regards,
Tray

I'm not sure what you mean by different fsb values. The dfi nf2 boards will hit higher fsb speeds than the abit nf7-s in general. This is partly due to the fact that the dfi boards have 3.3 volts available to the ram. The abit has 2.8 or 2.9 volts. Also it is usually neccesary to flash to some unofficial bios to reach high ( 235+) fsb speeds on the dfi boards. No hard modding is neccesary to reach 250mhz fsb speed.

The abit nf7 tops out at a lower fsb speed, but it seems to perform better than the dfi at those speeds.

The last three computers I built with NF7-S boards ran great but the fsb topped out at 210-215. My DFI Infinity topped out at 225 with the regular bios. With the beta bios It does 250fsb but my corsair ram will only do that speed with the cpc off. Basically that gives me the same performance at 237fsb. So I just run at 240fsb. I do need 3.2v-3.3v on the ram to do that.

I have had the same question as Altec,

Which one? & how do the 2 compare?

Now, just a thought here, is DFI pulling an Int*l on us here?

...going to something similar like smaller clock cycles to
get the numbers up ?

Just a thought.

Makes me wonder even more when you guys say the performance
pretty much evens out after disabling cpc.

So, what does that say?

I'm really interested because I'm in the market for a new mobo & these 2 were my best pics for non-64 bit mobos.

:cool:

Dukemurmur said:
Very Very small amounts better( the NF7 that is) but with higer FSB that the DFI will reach all in all it performs better.

Bwhwhahahahaaa. DFI can suck it. I'd like to see them keep up with my NF7 @ 247.:beer:

Yes mine is stock, and yes its new.

From his sig:
Abit NF7-S (2.4) *STOCK* | Tic-tac's D23 Sub-Zer0 | KHX Value RAM (Hynix D43) (2.5-3-4-11) | MOFSET / SB cooled

How's that?

I guess that makes my mind up then.

With good cooling & good memory, the NF7 is a good one to get.
:cool:

Dukemurmur said:
Very Very small amounts better( the NF7 that is) but with higer FSB that the DFI will reach all in all it performs better.

Show me the proof...me and Obsolet have done some testing...me on my NF7-S and his with his DFI LP rev b...at 11x225 (8-3-3-3) and his at 11.5x248 (6-2-2-2)...I beat his 2001 and 2003 score everytime...with the same OS and updates and DX 9 and same tweaks and VC drivers (same tweaks)...

Mine runs at 19700
His runs at 19600...

That is a little more then a small amount...since he is running a higher FSB and timings and Ghz on the CPU...and I still out sroce him in most things...except memory bandiwdth...and even then its not that much of a difference...

blackjackel said:
stock as in unmodded? new as in just bought?

uuuuuh thats hard to swallow, i dont know if i believe that

Why is that hard to believe...I can run up to 260FSB (memory can't handle it for more then 5 or 10 minutes...Kingston Value Ram...)...and I have no mods on it...as of right now that is...

260.JPG

*Why are the Image links showing as links and not a pic on the thread now?*

Last edited:
The NF7 CAN be a beast. It's as unreliable as heck though. Very very few can do what Sentential's seems to be doing. I'm more interested in these performance differences though.

I'm about to RMA my NF7-S and use an Infinity II, and now you've got me all scared and confused. I have a crappy "Rev 2.3" NF7-S, btw.

There is no doubt that the NF7-S is a very good board. I have built around 10 computers recently with that board. Although I think a higher percentage of them are starting to top out at around 210-215fsb. I use it for most people because that is high enough. For myself I really like the DFI Infinity. Here is what my DFI Infinity board just did:

250x10gplracer.jpg

To remind sentential - the merits of the board can't be evidenced by one excellent sample out of at least 50...especially considering that 45 of the 50 can't break 225.

I've used 4 NF7-S's, ranging from the earliest Rev2 to the ones that are shipping recently. None of them could break 215 at stock.

Sentential ain't lying i was talking with him the other night. He has been looking 4 a board that is able to do this 4 quit a wile

I know he's not lying. It's just not at all typical, which still makes the NF7-S's as a whole these days unreliable at best.

My Lan Party did 260 FSB right out of the box.

I run it at 250, 2-2-2-11-9-12, 3.1vdimm

250x10.

The NF7-S seems to perform better FSB for FSB, but most of the new ones aren't getting past 215.

What I am trying to determine though is why the NF7 seems to perform better when it comes to the FSB vs. FSB. Does DFI use a different system path or series of paths between the memory and the NB, is there another standard for actually measuring the FSB Mhz, or is it like MotherBoard voltage.....the actual speed fluctuates from what the BIOS says?

With best regards,
Tray

Probably has to do with the agressiveness of timing between the CPU/NB/Memory somewhere. I would guess that after a little tweaking in the BIOS the DFI would deliver similar results.

Back