• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Commando O C QUestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baer

Last week I flashed BIOS 1001 and re set all my normal settings. While I have been able to get much higher I usually like to run at a 10% OC for 24/7 use or at 2.93 Ghz on my QX6700.
2.93 has been rock stable as you would expect. Since I went to the new BIOS my system specs show the 2.93 but CPU-Z shows a varying core speed sometimes 1600 Mhz at a multiplier of 6X and sometimes the desired aprox 2.93 Mhz at a multiplier of 11 which is my setting. (266 X 11)
I have boosted my CPU voltage by .1V and I am running VCore Memory at 2.2 V.
My Vista system specs however always show "Intel Quad CPU @2.66 Ghz running at 2,93 Ghz.
Everything runs fast and stable as I would expect with this processor running at 2.93.
Should I believe CPU-Z or not and if CPU-Z is right do any of you have suggested settings for a 10% OC using my components?
I have disables the Intel speed step, or at least I think I have, that option disappears with my memory settings. Oh yes, Memory is at 5.5.5.15 2T
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

OK, I guess posting makes one think it out, that and reading other posts here (Great forum BTW). When I flashed the new BIOS I did not disable the C1e. I have now done that and I am again stable at 2.933.
What is the feeling here about letting the CPU step down? I know it is a little less heat Etc but I am not OCing that much and my CPU is running at 40C right now (light load, just IE7, Outlook and iTUnes).
What's the feeling about this setting?

I always thought that one should disable variable clock functions for greater stability. From what I have seen here, most others do the same.

If you just run a mild OC and aren't trying for the max possible, you can let the CPU clock down to save power and heat. Mine will clock down if I run them unloaded but since I run 100% loaded 24/7 it's always maxed out.

Back