• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system upgrade that gave you the biggest perf. boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from a intel p4 2.2ghz geforce 6200 512 mb ram a compaq crt monitor the res was 1024x768

to a amd phenom 925 amd 6850 8 gb ram to a hp w1707 1440x900

i went from struggling to play youtube videos in hd to playing bf3 at med/high settings. i was blown away... its struggling with bf4 on low settings though but gets the job done for now. i was going to upgrade again around christmas but ive recently inherited 12 acres of land and have been putting every penny into that. doubt i'll be able to upgrade my pc for 5 or more years. its going to suck but on the bright side in 5 or so years i will be rent free!!!

Last edited:
I think when I put in my old Q6600 shortly after they came out and got my first 4 Ghz OC.

My sister-in-law's room mate is still plunking along pretty well using that old thing.

Have a new programmer at work that has been using SSD much longer then I have been.

He was still running a Q6600, I think we put the bug into each other after talking about several things.

Upgraded the GPU and have a couple SSD's on the way here, and he bought a Haswell and a new MOBO that he probably will be getting tomorrow.

:comp:

Last edited:
Going from a 3.4GHz P4E @ 4.1GHz with a 6800 Ultra AGP video card to the E6600 @ 3.6GHz (wasn't that its stock speed? lol) with x1900XTXs Crossfire was by far my biggest single performance leap.

I just upgraded from my Abit NF7-S with an Athlon XP 2500M Barton 1.8Ghz (stock) running at 2.5Ghz since back in I think 2003. I now have the rig in my sig. running day to day at 4.7Ghz & going higher when the outside temps allow.

Well, for me it was from a Pentium4 (yes, I know...) to a PhenomII 955Be, but I stayed 10 years without a computer in between!

More seriously, the move from a 955BE@4GHz to a 2600K@5GHz made a night and day difference when using CS5.

Could not honestly notice any difference in daily use (web browsing, office, multimedia...) between a Phenom II and the IvyBridge I currently run.

Not talking about gaming, as the Intel setup nets me some nice extra FPS, depending on the game.

Traded up from a Athlon 64 3200+ to a i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz and nearly shat myself!

I think the biggest increase in speed was the SSD.... a machine without an SSD now is torture!

Hmmmm, thats a difficult one..... Either going from my old Pentium 100 to an 600MHz Athlon Slot A running a MSI board with irongate chipset, or maybe the Athlon XP 2500+ + Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe that replaced it..... Then again it could be the move from a Opteron 165 to my old Phenom 955BE 3 upgrades ago..... Hard to tell....

Frankly, the biggest performance boost I've ever gotten had nothing to do with CPU or mainboard, it's all about SSD's ;)

Bought a 1TB WD Green and made a RAID 0 with my other 1TB WD Green.
Hmmm... What to do with 2 TB?... :p

Oh and went from Socket A Duron Spitfire 750 Mhz to Pentium 4 @2.6Ghz then to i5-2300 Quad @ 2.8 Ghz

I went from a Socket 939 Opteron 165 to a Core 2 Duo E8400. That was nice.

Didn't the Opty have an on-board memory controller instead of going
through a north bridge and antiquated FSB? I'd figure the memory bandwidth on the opty would've been superior to a Core 2 Duo for that reason.

I'd just like to ask everyone what system (CPU + motherboard) upgrade gave you the largest, most noticeable performance increase?

For me, it was going from an overclocked AMD mobile Barton (2600 I think) to an Intel Pentium D 945+. With the mobile Barton (socket 462 I think) alt-tabbing out of any process that had any significant CPU usage was an exercise in futility, much less any game. The Pentium D 945+ system changed all that.

Athlon XP to A64 3200 winchester setup with 500 MHz 2-2-2-5 RAM . 35ns latency baby! It was like having an SSD. Everything was SOOOO snappy.

through a north bridge and antiquated FSB? I'd figure the memory bandwidth on the opty would've been superior to a Core 2 Duo for that reason.

I dont get that one. I went from an AMD setup to a Q6600 at the time and the microstutter was HORRIBLE. I benched it and flipped it.

Although after getting 500FSB I updated to a 45nm and pushed 535 through that. but moved to phenom for the desktop.

When I finally went Intel + SSD, I went, OHHH there is the desktop snappiness I am used to AND all the crunching power.

That may be true, but the Core 2 Duo architecture in general was just so fast.

But this week I'm upgrading to an SSD, so I think my answer will be changing very soon. :)

Last week I went from a pentium e5800 to an amd fx8320 overclocked to 4.6ghz... yes... MASSIVE improvement.

Last edited:
I just upgraded from my Abit NF7-S with an Athlon XP 2500M Barton 1.8Ghz (stock) running at 2.5Ghz since back in I think 2003. I now have the rig in my sig. running day to day at 4.7Ghz & going higher when the outside temps allow.

Funny, I had that exact same motherboard and CPU. I never could get that Barton to 2600Mhz.

Went from an e8500, a gtx 570 and 1920x1200 to a 3930k, 3 680's and 120Hz 5760x1080.

Scoring an ss phase change for under $200 (incl. shipping) was also pretty huge.

Back