• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help please..CoD no worky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_noonan

Registered
went and bought call of duty today. got home and installed with no problems, but when i tried to play single player, i get message asking me to put correct CD in drive when the cd is still in there. i tried two different cd drives, tried friends call of duty cd, and friend tried my cd in his computer and it worked. help me please
:(

and one other thing, multiplayer works fine, it is just single player that doesnt work

Make sure when you uninstall that you use something like Norton or other to clean the registry and make sure it's gone.

This is a question for the official support team. Call the support number in the manual or write the email address. I've never heard of this happening before :-/

you have to disable your virtual drives ie: programs like alcohol 120% or dameon tools, clone cd ect. even nero can give you vitrual drives. Somewhere in the copy protection, this game won't let you run it with virtual drives running.

bigemike said:
you have to disable your virtual drives ie: programs like alcohol 120% or dameon tools, clone cd ect. even nero can give you vitrual drives. Somewhere in the copy protection, this game won't let you run it with virtual drives running.

Really??? That's caca! I don't want to have to reinstall daemon tools every time I want to run off a virtual drive! Sux!!! :rolleyes:

get used to it, until we get some other work arounds, this is going to go on alot with the new games, call of duty is the first. You guys know, just give it some time and all will be well. The bad thing about it, I use my virtual device, but pay$$ for all my games. Kinda makes you feel bad when your legit, but they tell you what you can be running. I was mad at first then I started playing the game and got all over it. The other thing you can do in xp is to set up another profile to run cll of duty in, or a profile that gives you dameon back.

.................over use of copy protection..................

That's still pretty lame though... "We don't want you using any software that you could 'potentially' be running ill gotten programs with, so you must now disable it!!!! Muahahahahaha, you will never run Alcohol 120% and play this game simultaneously!!!!"

Stupid lousy game!!!! You're prolly right though. After I get the game, I'll prolly quit my complaining and just play.

<-- feels bad for the guy who dl's this game as a .cue image, and then try's to run it w/ a virtual device. ;)

the bad thing is that the ill-gotten game was out first, and I had my choice and I bought it. so obviously the protection will never be that good. I mean did they really think that nobody could get through it??? Anyways I think the gaming industrie as a whole should go easy, I mean guys who are going to buy the games are going to buy them, they wil never keep people breaking them. It is just like the rest of the bull with the music and movies, Find a happy medium between price and ease of use (IE: itunes) and hopefully igames) that had a reasonable fee and I think you would find that all of the security garbage wouldn't have to be. I bet we paid $5-10 for the new copy protection our game has. I know I would rather put that to a new game. Anyways the whole industry is nuts, they are costing the consumer unessacary expense, and eventually will make people look for other alternatives (ie:lesser known game makers).

That would be a good idea. Dl games legally for 20% less or so. iGames would be very kewl! Well, wether or not I have to disable Daemon Tools, I will be buying CoD, and playing it, and liking it. ;)

Virtual drives == no problem here

FWIW, I have had no problems running my game, and I have the following programs installed:

D-Tools, Alcohol 120, CloneCD. All with their virtual drives. It's been working great for me.

grunjee anything special with your setup, I have been unable to get it to load, what kind of drive are you using. I had to pull the virtual drives on all my systems that I run it on, BTW this only goes for the store bought copies that have this issue. is that what you have a store bought copy and you got the virtual drives to work, I am still kinda inexpierianced on the virtual cd drives, but I would like to know what you have done to get it to work.

bigemike said:
grunjee anything special with your setup, I have been unable to get it to load, what kind of drive are you using. I had to pull the virtual drives on all my systems that I run it on, BTW this only goes for the store bought copies that have this issue. is that what you have a store bought copy and you got the virtual drives to work, I am still kinda inexpierianced on the virtual cd drives, but I would like to know what you have done to get it to work.

I have two optical drives -- both are Lite-Ons -- a 48x cdrw and a 16x dvd-rom. I've used them both and neither have had a problem. Also, to further test the virtual drive theory, I've had the programs running (D-Tools, A-120 and CCD) while I've fired up CoD and it has still worked.

I bought my CoD at Best Buy, maybe there's something special about that... ? :p

I do see a lot of talk online about this sort of thing -- legit cd's not working simply because of virtual devices installed. I don't think anything is special about my setup, who knows. I have heard people say that sometimes it's the older versions of programs with virtual drives that are the problem -- so installing the newest version can fix it. I can't confirm this, it's just what some people say.

Good luck though. How frustrating is it, not being able to play a game you've paid for. :mad:

so I take it that you have the virtual drives there when you open explorer, You might be right about the newer version thingy, but I have another set of lite on drives I might try becouse my pioneer dvd burner dvra03 is only like an 8x cd burn and I have a liteon with 52x, I have had things that I couldn't use with alcohol with the pioneer drive that I have had work on my other machine with the lite on drive in it. Anyways I will try somemore and let you know, thanks for the help

Back