• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^ Agreed! :bang head

1) This is not cool IMO (especially if it IS installed on multiple PC's). I have no moral/ethical issues carrying an OEM License across to a new build, but I would never run the same CD Key on 2 different PC's (I have 6 OEM Licenses at my disposal :) ). Generally my CD-Keys are tied to the PC Cases (The COA stickers live on the case so it makes sense to me :) )
2) They KNOW if you have activated a particular CD-Key (they keep a cross-reference of CD-Key against your Hardware Hash), they just don't know the exact hardware it was activated on.

Have any of you got the automated activation thingy? I've gotten that twice now and it re-activated me both times w/o speaking to anyone! It asks you if you replaced the MoBo (answer "NO" for OEM) and if you have changed any major components of your PC (answer Yes), and it gives you a new activation code! The first time I heard this was about 6 months ago.

:cool:

OK, here's my situation: my copy of XP was purchased retail and installed on a completely homebuilt system.

At some point in the future, I will build another system, and I want XP on it. (If you look at the system in my sig line, you'll see that everything will need upgrading.)

Can I build my new system, and have this copy of XP activated on it?
If I am honest about it being a new hardware configuration, will they refuse to activate it or just charge a fee to do so?
Would this fee be cheaper than buying a new retail copy before the June deadline?

I have installed and activated my Win XP Pro 32bit so many times, at least 30 to 50 times on various machines, all with different hardwares, never a problem, never had to call M$....

maybe it has something to do with the student key, some kind of special exemption...

laterzzzz......

I have installed and activated my Win XP Pro 32bit so many times, at least 30 to 50 times on various machines, all with different hardwares, never a problem, never had to call M$....

maybe it has something to do with the student key, some kind of special exemption...

laterzzzz......

yes, you probably had a copy from your university that had a widely used product key. it is pretty common for microsoft to do that when distributing to universities. that is what they did for a long time with my former university.

VLK is the way to go-Cookie Stuffing Url deleted by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
A warning to those who install XP multiple times, I reactivated Windows MCE 2005 on my new configuration with nothing left of my original build, I went from a Athlon Xp machine by HP to a new custum E8600 build. I tried updating, then activating over the net back and forth. Eventually, I had to call them after like 10 failed attempts. Still no luck, They put me on hold for what seemed like hours, boy that was fun, then i was told I had to wait for a manager and was put on hold again. I look outside while on the phone and a publishers clearing house van pulls up, I get all excited, the van door swings open and out jumps eleven Texas Ranger ninjas wearing nothing but their badge stuck to their underwear, I could tell their were ninjas cause they were carrying ninja swords. I was forced to watch Bill Gates tech speechs on the benefits of their live search engine while the ninjas beat me up till I was bleeding and they urinated on my wounds, I eventally escaped by showing them my monoply get out jail free card and flew to china on my purple winged Harpie with a body like a young Goldie Hawn. We went to china cause its the land of the software pirate. Luckily, my harpie spoke fluent chinese. So watch out!

Last edited:
Can microsoft legally do that? Forgive me for asking and being dunce about it as I really don't look into or read anything at all about microsoft's crap but is it legal for them to make you purchase another key because you decided to buy another motherboard? I mean it's like calling up Ford and asking permission to start my car after changing the brakes in it. If that is the case we need to start looking more into linux quickly.

The reason why you pay more for the Full (Retail) version of Windows versus the OEM version is that the license agreement is different. (remember that long, undecipherable thing you clicked through?) It is a contract, just as legally binding as if you had sat down in a lawyer's office, written an agreement then signed it with witnesses. With OEM version, especially that sold through one of the big manufacturers, you have agreed to keep Windows on that one computer, the Retail version has a more liberal agreement between you and MS.

U.S. contract law allows for a contract to be valid even if it favors one side a whole lot more than the other, and MS has written a contract that is grossly unfavorable to you but still legal, though to be fair other software makers have written worse.

Normally a contract must be signed in ink by both parties, this is what's called a "Meeting of the Minds", and is one of the seven elements of a binding contract. However through various court cases the judges have allowed "Shrink Wrap" or "Click Through" agreements to have the same legal force as an inked contract with witnesses. This is what is called in the Legal community as "Case Law", it's a phenomenon in the courts where a judge essentially creates a new law allowing "Click Through" agreements simply by ruling that they are legally binding. This can happen when the opposing side presents a weak case and does not file proper appeals. Other lawyers arguing similar cases will cite the original case where "Click Through" was allowed thereby forcing the next judge to make a similar ruling, as this snowballs the original ruling gains strength.

These sorts of shenanigans were allowed in the early days of computing when there was a very large fear in this country that foreign countries like Japan would overtake the early lead that the U.S. had in computers and lock us out, just as they had with consumer electronics. If you doubt this then consider that Intel invented the RAM memory chip and now most if not all memory chips are made in Asia, Intel was forced out of an industry it created! It came close to driving them out of business, they were only saved by moving in to what had until then been a sideline of theirs, the CPU!

There was a very legitimate fear that all computers would one day be Made in Japan. So the Government and the Judicial system gave the computer industry wide leeway to do all sorts of things that would normally be of questionable legality if not outright illegal. As time passed it started to cause problems for everyone involved, people like you and me are stuck with not being able to do as we please with an operating system we paid for in full. And even the computer industry itself is hurt. Every few months one tech company has to settle with another over patent infringement. The patenting of every minor step, process or concept in the making of tech is routinely used to hamstring competition. I do believe Amazon.com has a lock on "One click checkout" in internet commerce. The tech industry generates ENOURMOUS amounts of litigation.

So, yes, it is legal for Microsoft to make you buy a new key for your OS, if you swap out enough parts then they consider you to have built an entirely different computer, which requires an entirely new key and full payment for that key. Because of the lopsided contract you 'signed' what Microsoft says you have to do is legal.

Last edited:
if you swap out enough parts then they consider you to have built an entirely different computer,

MS has no idea what hardware you activated on more than 120 days ago (they only keep XP activation hashes for that long AFAIK), so they can not claim (much less prove) that it is a different PC ;)

:cool:

Back