• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(p5b) restart = shut down ??? exit bios = shut down ??? (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
guys, I need some help, I just got a p5b and this thing keeps shutting down every single time I restart or exit the bios :( :mad: whats up with that ?
I tried a google search and it seems like a wide spread problem, but I couldnt find any solutions :( :bang head

can anyone help me ? please, this thing is killing me and the hdd too :(

p.s. the specs are: 1202 bios, e4300 (@3.0), gskill 2gb 800 @ 1000, evga 6800, sb aud2, promise tx2, one sata 320 hdd, one pata dvdr, antec true550II

New boards always shut down completely before restarting, even when exiting the BIOS. Does it then start again and boot normally or does it just stop?

Does pressing the power button start the computer normally or does it never boot into Windows?

This is common once you get to a cetain FSB. I believe it has to do with re-calibrating the Chipset/CPU Voltages, and something to do with the way the BIOS forces different "Straps"...

If you are having the issue where it suporadically hangs during POST, then that is something else...

:cool:

orion456 said:
New boards always shut down completely before restarting, even when exiting the BIOS. Does it then start again and boot normally or does it just stop?

Does pressing the power button start the computer normally or does it never boot into Windows?

yes, it comes back by itself, but this cant be good for hard drives ...

pressing the power button results in a quick power on>power off>power on, again not too good for hard drives, hard drives dont like this many power on/power offs

p.s. btw when I set everything to stock it doesnt do this anymore, so this cant be normal
lowering the oc didnt help, even 5mhz over stock makes it go nuts

Randyman... said:
This is common once you get to a cetain FSB. I believe it has to do with re-calibrating the Chipset/CPU Voltages, and something to do with the way the BIOS forces different "Straps"...

If you are having the issue where it suporadically hangs during POST, then that is something else...

yep, but even 5mhz over stock makes it do this :(
should I up the chipset voltage ? any recommendations ?

Thanks
Dan

p.s. btw I have a u90 on the cpu and a hr05 on the nb, running 2.5ghz now to rule out temps as a problem

it has to do with the 965 chip set. The original version of it has an errata published about this need to reset.

I think this 'problem' was fixed on the newer version of the mobo with a later rev of the chipset (and mobos) , but there is still the behavior at high fsb's as mentioned above.

Once you get your oc'ing done, you won't be cycling the power so often.

FYI - My P5WD2-Premium (955x chipset) also did the "Power Off" when re-booting above a certain FSB. I believe this is common on newer Asus MoBo's above a certain FSB (my last 4 Asus 775 builds did this when running high FSB's)...

But I agree that it shouldn't do it with a 5MHz OC...

Hmmmm, mine (Commando) does not do this normally. It does do it if I have totally removed power however, like pulling the plug ot turning off the PSU but normally when I tweak the bios and then restart it just starts right up with no intrum shut down.

I believe I read somewhere that it had something to do with with OC safety and the OC utilities on the board, my P5B does this all the time.

rig in sig is doing it also Z

I hate it but I live with it, right now I have the oc off for summer computing but in the winter I open it up.

When I set all to normal NON_OC'd settings it stops doing it, It still freeks me.

oh well, guess I'll live with it, thanks for the replies guys

D

Ive been trying to find out more about this

someone told me if I get a d960 it wont do this

I hate it so much that Im only running a 240fsb now in the winter anything above 240 FSB & poof it does that whaky boot even on a simple restart it will do it...

Makes me mad too because if it didn't id run at 12X266 3.192ghz & 1066 FSB

Seems to me I remember a mod that may resolve this but cant find it again :(

Yep mine does it then as well, as long as I stay under 240fsb tho it does not do it.

241 and its back at it.

I guess if its not hurting anything then maybe I should go back to my other settings, somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Back