• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone work(ing) with MS access?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
need some help some come up with something simple, well to me. need to have three fields to input info into, then they also need to be search-able. as in you can use any of the 3 fields input the info and have it pull up what you need. will also need a way to allow access to this "interface" to about 20-30 people over a network.

it can only be with ms access any help with doing this or someone willing to set it up.

i work with access a lot.. your best bet..

For the search parameters is the logic A+B+C or is it A or B or C

Also, what version of Access are we talking? 00/03/07/10?

EDIT: Gimme a few.. its a long response and I don't want to time out etc... will be back with the steps!

Ok Attached a small access 2000/2003 mdb file that does what your asking I think. Just reply back or pm me for details.

EDIT2: still working on full reply, but please pm or w/e in the meantime if you log on.

Attachments

• QueryDataThroughForm.7z
    44.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Ok so now that I have more time here we go:

In order to distribute this through a network your best bet for security is to use a front end (FE) and back end (BE). 2 databases that function as one really. The FE contains the query form, the query that searches the data and any query/report needed for the user. The BE contains your data table and any query needed to maintain the dataset along with any dictionary type tables. The attached document is only a single database just to give you an idea of how to do what you are asking.

The table structure should be however you need it to be. The search form should be able to handle any data type really. It is using wildcards (*) to look for your search parameters within the field. So if you type in "t" it will return ANY record that contains that letter. The more info the better refined it will work.

The data query itself can be edited to pull whatever fields you need, however, the subform that displays the data back to you is currently only setup to run off the current query. You couldn't just change the query without re-creating the sub-form or editing it to include the new data fields.

In order to link the FE and BE together you should just use the table linking function from the FE to the BE. Use the Import utility and choose Linked table manager (i think its called) and point it to your BE and choose the table you're going to pull data from. After that update the Data query with your new table and fields you'll be pulling data off of.

You will need to copy/paste the Criteria fields for params 1/2/3 and paste them on to the corresponding data fields you'll be pulling.

EDIT: i can go in to more detail if you want.. just at work right now so I can't go on and on :p

Last edited:
thats the kind of info im looking for! i need to buy the ms office packaged through work, seems we get some kind of good deal, $10 or $20 for the whole thing. i just need to make sure it includes access so i can mess with this. it is a side project my boss wants to try out and see how well this will work.

one thing i need to know though, i didnt see a response to it or i forgot to ask. with the FE will i be able to have a login for users? that way we can keep some data write-protected?

Will the users be doing data entry or pure retrieval of data? The form that pulls data back can be sent to a report instead of live on screen (report can be previewed on screen and not just printed) as well as being able to have the fields locked for editing.. meaning they cannot change what is on the screen.

You can implement passwords on databases, but I've never had a need for them. You can create the FE as an ACCDE file, which is basically a compiled file that cannot be edited (meaning they cannot edit the form and move things/change names etc on the db itself) The users would only have access to see what you say they can.. basically a form and any reports if needed.

When you get access let me know.. we can figure something out.. maybe can do a messanger back n forth or something.

Last edited:
that is sounds like a plan, what i mean by locked. is that if i have 3 fields being used, i need one of them locked. as this field will have a preset, say like room numbers, i dont one them getting changed or the same one in there twice should they miss a field when typing. all the data would need to be live, as in the case of checking clients out, the people doing the check outs would need to be able to name look up then remove them from that room. check out will be done by up to say 18 maybe 20 people. just really depends as the 4 different managers will need that type of access to.

best idea is to figure out what fields you need on paper/excel/notebook even. Basically just a list of what needs to be on a data entry side etc.. also start to think about what the final outcome should be and if you have any dictionary type data to create.

By dictionary data I mean static data elements such as locations, users etc.

Back