• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SupremeFX III vs Realtek ALC898

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

Anyone seen any comparisons?

I had someone ask me if it was worth it to buy a MoBo with the supremeFX so I tried to look around to find something and came up Nada.

It's nothing special. It's generic on-board audio with a Creative sticker on top. Pure marketing. There's simply not room on an ATX motherboard for the analog circuitry necessary for a really good sound card without removing other components.

I figured the differences would be nominal but you know how these things go..... you say it's not worth the extra 80 bucks and they come back with 'my buddy has it and says it twice as good *derp'.

Just the fact that no one seems to have done a comparison speaks volumes in my mind.

I figured the differences would be nominal but you know how these things go..... you say it's not worth the extra 80 bucks and they come back with 'my buddy has it and says it twice as good *derp'.

Just the fact that no one seems to have done a comparison speaks volumes in my mind.

The HDMI sound from youre gpu would sound better :thup:

The HDMI sound from youre gpu would sound better
It would? How? I dont understand how that works, but thought that the onboard sound or discrete would be better than what a GPU can provide...?

It would? How? I dont understand how that works, but thought that the onboard sound or discrete would be better than what a GPU can provide...?

I guess it would have to depend on your amp too..

I just plug the gpu into my amp thru hdmi, then another hdmi to my tv. You just have to make sure the audio in the cp is set to anything other than stereo, ie 5.1, 7.1, and it should be ok. It does 8 channel sound, and will pass dd and dts. Compareing to my Auzentech Prelude, its really not bad at all! My Auzentech is better than any onboard sound solution, by far.

Digital signal vs Analog (DAC turns Digital to Analog...)

Just like if someone was going to use SPDIF or RCA-type Optical it would be useless to buy a soundcard for those motherboards that have those type of output.

Also, the analog audio depends largely on EMI isolation on the board, where the Realtek chip is placed and the layout of components.

Ever notice how horrid the front out always is compared to the rear out with onboard sound? :D

Honestly, no, LOL! I use the rear for the speakers and the front for my headphones. My cans sound just as good as my speakers (Altec Lansing 2.1) regardless where they are plugged in.

Back