• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it ok to install a hard drive upside down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eprox1

Registered
Hey guys.

I have a PSU that is installed at the bottom of a case, so when I route the SATA power connectors up the bottom to the hard drive chassis, the connectors are upside down. I was wondering if I could simply install the harddrives upside down to get around this small annoyance? I obviously don't want to do any kind of harm to the drives, but I figured it may be possible since some cases have you install them on their sides with no troubles.

The drives in question are a pair of 1TB WD Blacks, if that even makes a difference.

Thanks!

Yep, you can have them up side down, perpendicular to the bottom of the case, at 45 degree angles, etc. The most important things are making sure they're secure and that their temps are cool enough. :)

HDD's aren't sensitive at all! If they are cool and secured they are fine

Just make sure the connectors and stuff won't fall out etc..,

Knock yourself out and have some fun positioning that sucker!

:burn:

Actually they are a lot more sensitive than you think.

45 degree angles are not recommended but flat (right side or upside down doesn't matter) or on its side are fine for the drive.

Its harder for the head to seek if gravity is working against it.

According to this, there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever at any angle: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21533

And that was from 2005 talking about drives from 2000 on. I think any drive today should definitely be fine.

Drives today are CRAPPIER than 2005, and much much crappier than 2000. Build quality has nosedived.

So has the economy. Also, we live in a disposable society so making hdd with cheaper materials makes them cheaper for consumers. I can pick up 1TB for under $100 so I'm not complaining. (until I lose all my info from a faulty drive :lol:)

Actually they are a lot more sensitive than you think.

45 degree angles are not recommended but flat (right side or upside down doesn't matter) or on its side are fine for the drive.

Beat me to it.

A LONG time ago, I remember reading somewhere (magazine probably) that mounting HDDs in any flat angle (90/180) are fine but angles create more centrifugal force and can cause premature death.) Admittedly this is very much from memory and may not be totally accurate anymore.

Hey - thanks for the replies everyone. You really do learn a lot on these forums.

Flat and Upside down is probably one of the more common positions for the HDD.
As well setting on its side is starting to be more common in cases.

Standing straight up or down not sure about that. I wouldn't recommend it.

Back