• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Used Win7 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucardCasull

I just installed Windows 7 64 over the weekend, and am curious on anyone's memory used after a reboot. Immediately after reboot I am using anywhere from 50-70% of my 2GB of ram. How does anyone else compare?

Sounds about right. Win7 is actually USING your RAM, unlike XP used to do. It uses Superfetch and pre-loads programs you access regularly to make them faster. Rest assured though, the memory is there for you to use, whether it shows as taken or not. If you load a program that isn't already loaded in to the memory, and it needs more than is free at that time, Win7 will glady ditch something it already fetched and give it right back to the program you're running.

I agree with hokiealumnus, Win7 does use more ram, 64 uses more than the 32 bit version.

You can how ever reduce the amount of used memory by optimizing your OS, turn off the themes, turn off the transparacny, and some other stuff.

But if you want/need those things you pay the price in the memory usage.

When I had 64 bit loaded the lowest I could get the memory usage to was 460 MB or so, with 32 bit version (to many programs wouldn't run in 64 bit) I have it down to 320 MB or so. But moving from 64 to 32 I lost 750 MB due to the 3 Gig limitation of 32 bit Operating Systems. So for me it is a trade off.

Good luck with reducing the amount of ram you are using...

I just installed Windows 7 64 over the weekend, and am curious on anyone's memory used after a reboot. Immediately after reboot I am using anywhere from 50-70% of my 2GB of ram. How does anyone else compare?
Just to give you a reference point, I have 4GB of RAM installed on my Windows 7 Pro system and I just started up and am using 29% of it (or about 1.16 GB) which is about the same as you using 50-70% of 2GB.

I'm using windows 7 pro 64 bit and right now the windows meter thing shows i'm using 39% of my 2gb ram on my laptop. BTW windows 7 is so much faster than my old vista.

Back