• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Connector matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eletrium

Registered
Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading the post :)

I got in a new 80 gig IBM HD in from newegg. I am trying to install Win2k on it, but am having problems.

I unhooked my old hard drives, hooked up the new one (to the IDE tape head-thingie on the very end of the IDE tape-thingy), have the jumpers set to the factory settings of Master*, changed the BIOS to reflect a single drive and boot from A...

--> On bootup it freezes before it can boot, but after it detects the Hard Drive. It's an Award Bios, if that helps.

I hooked up everything the way it was, and the Win2k Installation disks booted fine. (I'm loading from a non-bootable CD).

Where the IBM Hard Drive mentions jumper settings, there are four different listings: 16 Heads, 15 Heads, 32 GB 16 Heads, and 32GB 15 Heads. I set it to the 16 Heads Master settings, as those were the factory default.

Any ideas?

(I was going to post in the Storage forum, but this has to do with Bios stuff too... :))

You sure its needs to be set as master for a stand alone configuration?

What else?

It can be set to:
Master
Slave
Cable Select
Forcing Device 1 Present (I take it only run with a slave)

Does anyone know how to tell if I need to set it to 15 Headds or 16 Heads?

Anyone have a new IBM 80 GB HD?

You should go here: http://www.ibm.com/us/

and do a search for: your model of drive + jumpers. They-IBM has detailed on-line documentation/support. About 70% or so of drive detection problems (in my experience)are related to improperly jumped drives. Often it is something other then master for a stand alone drive. Try cable select. Try no jumper. See what you get. Make sure the drive is on the black end and the blue end is into the MB. And check the stats at the link for your drive.

Back