• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSEL MOD question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Magneplanar

Registered
Hi guys, i just got a quick question. I wanna mod my 400FSB XEONs to 533 ones. I tried isolating the darn pin, but failed. I would like to twist it off, but i am not sure if my ECC PC800 goes along with the jump.

Is there a way to turn the H into an L again after the pin is off?

Thanks guys

-Florian

PS: I already searched the forums, and couldnt find the answere :thup:

Last edited:
Well i meant, is there a way to set it to 0 again by doing the wire loop trick. BTW I tried isolating it with Nail polish. Then I tried it with the wire hull. But it seems that my wire hull was to thick.

Greetings

Florian

Seems like the wire insulation works the best... if you can find one small enough.

As far as I know, you need the pin for it to work normally, so if you break it, it's hard to go back.

Well ill look for one tomorrow then :) Do you think my mem would play along?

Its a Registered Samsung ECC PC800 2x512MB
Allit would be is a move from 1.8 to 2.4 on the XEON which i am sure it will do. But the ram would be like a 33MHz OC, if i can count.

Thanks for the help -Florian

It might be iffy for the RAM. Some Samsung PC800 would do PC1066 speed and some won't. Back when I had an Abit TH7-II, my PC800 would only do that speed if I had a fan blowing on the RAM modules. However, that mobo had a BIOS setting to change from 4X to 3X memory, so that at 133 FSB you could still run PC800 in spec. Don't suppose you have that BIOS option?

One problem here- the BSEL mod depends upon the motherboard recognizing the altered pin signals and knowing what to do with them, acting as if the CPUs in their modded state were stock. Since the i860s were only built for a 400 MHz FSB, they can't do this- you need an e7501/7505/i875 board to get it to work. Sorry :(

On the other hand, you can set it back to 0 using the wire loop trick in the two BSEL sockets. If you have any other questions on the actual process feel free to ask, I know my original article rather sucked and required heavy editing so it's not really as clear as possible...

Oh, BTW, the jump from 1.8 to 2.4 is wicked easy. If you do the mod, you shouldn't at all have to worry about stability, as I ran mine on a crappy (crappier than current) Intel windtunnel at stock voltage with no problem whatsoever. The only trick is having the right platform to start with.

Thanks guys for the very good help. That with the i860 not supporting 533FSB CPUs is very unfortunate. Does that mean, that if i cut the pin that the i860 will still only run at 400FSB. If it is so, than that would mean that the board will run on 400FSB no matter what. Is that correct? In other words, it doesnt do me any harm if i cut it. I read tough that some W6000 Workstations supportet up to 3.06 GHz CPUs which is the B revision with 533FSB i think. Do you guys think its worth a try?

Thanks

Florian

PS: Here is a link to a machiene with the same mainboard Link Doesnt the 2.8 have 533FSB?
I just called HP, and they also said that the W6000 only supports 400MHz FSB CPUs :cry:

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. About the support, they most likely are referring to 2.8 and 3 GHz CPUs on a 400 Mhz bus, which were released by Intel although not seen too much. I'd be pleasantly surprised to find an i860 board that works with the mod.

That would help if the resulting overclock was too high; however, there is still a short time in the beginning of the boot where the CPUs run at the stock multiplier before the multiplier is kicked down, so you need enough juice and stability anyway to make it through that point. It's no concern at all for the 1.8s, though.

Well unfortunatly the i860 will not recognize the 533FSB. Say do you guys know a Software overclocking utility that might work. I tried to find the clockgen chip on the board, but couldnt find it. And the SoftFSB is not all that great. I would like to find a way to OC it a little bit.

Thanks for all the help

Florian

Back