• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottlenecking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wakka100

Hi, recently the GPU in my Computer broke and i was considering buying a new one. I think i have found the one i want: GTX 560 Ti. however the card is much higher in spec compared to the rest of my computer but its a start. i was jsut wondering how much a 1.86 GHZ intel core 2 duo would bottleneck the new card. other specs: 3 GB Gaming RAM, Arctic 600 Watts power supply with SLI capabilities. i know it will bottle neck, i just wanna know by how much ie, with i7 say 30-40 FPS on very high settings in a game like crysis, how many FPS would i get on my CPU (estimated). thanks a lot.

Bottleneck would be an understatement. Even my proc (in my sig) would bottleneck that card a bit. Get a 550ti. That card will still bottleneck, but not as much.

You would get at least twice the frame rate on an i7.

You can purchase even though it will be bottlenecked then continue to use it once you have upgraded the rest of your components.

If you cant afford a core system overhaul. You can do it more slowly.

Start with a board that allows you to overclock. (this will help alot) and change over to DDR3 RAM while you are at it. You want at least 4GB for gaming with 8 required for many games.

That alone would be in the $100 range for purchase now (new components you can get better boards in the $50 price range if you are purchasing used than the G41 listed on newegg shoot for p45.)

then when you can drop the $3-400 go intel 1155 and p67.

Alternatively if you do not mind a change in manufacturer, you could go with a decent socket AM3 setup right now. For under $200 for cpu MOBO and RAM. (Save more on used parts) Little more for a cooler and clock that up pretty easily as well.

The build in my sig costed me no more than $550. I resused my PSU, HDD, and sound card. Look out for deals and coupon codes with free shipping on Newegg, Tiger, Frys..etc
Your Artic PSU should be good enough for an I5 build with a 560TI, but anything more I would recommend buying a new PSU since they weaken over time depending on how long the system was running.

I upgraded from an E6600 Conroe and damn the difference is noticable even at stock speeds.

And if you are just pinching dimes (who doesn't) just go ahead and buy a 460 or 550 TI, and save up some doe until the new Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATI lines come out.

Back