• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron D [email protected] need vid pin wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optix

Registered
Hi,
I got this new Cel D 2.4GHz, an Abit IS7 and 1GB Samsung DDR400 ram.
The cooler on it is a Volcano 7+ @ med.

I can't go past 3.3GHz no matter the voltage increase in bios.
Starting from stock (actually 1.33v in sandra and mbm) and up to 1.60v. It's simply stuck at 3.3GHz.
Me thinks if I do a vid pin wiring for some ... 1.45v it could work.
The problem is where do I get the pins layout for prescott chips.
If anyone could direct me to this I'd highly appreciate it.

Some more info, the cpu temps are 42Cidle/50Cload and case 32C.
Btw the temps remain the same at 2.4GHz.
It performs really nice for a 60euro cpu (when OCed).

I don't think it's a voltage problem. You have vcore options of up to 1.6v in the BIOS and it'll do 3.3 gig at default vcore? The "brick wall" thing sounds more like a RAM conflict. Abit can sometimes be picking about what RAM is used when overclocking.

You can download a .pdf spec sheet file of the Celeron D from the Intel website. I looked at this already and VID pin modding is harder on the Prescotts. You have to connect pins and isolate pins both (depending on default vcore).

I have vcore options up to 1.75 in bios but nomatter what vcore I choose (I choosed max 1.60) the cpu won't go higher than 3.3GHz.
I don't really think it's a memory problem as long as it's ddr400 and works in dual channel now at 183fsb. I had it asyncron running the ram at 200MHz with no problems.
Any ideeas ?
Cheers

Thanks Rio71.
I set that to a n a d d.

I hit 196fsb @ 1.480v - 3530MHz. Stable.
Idle temps 46 / 58 load.
The cooler is the problem from now on. Volcano 7+ did a good job anyway and served me well on any socket. I'll get something better soon.

Cheers.

Another thing, whenever I start the computer after a shutdown it doesn't post so I have to shut off from the button the power on again.
Do you think it's the PSU, I have an old chinatown 350W 15a/12v 20a/3.3 .
The other things in my pc: a 9200, 1 7200 Hdd, 1 dvd, 1 tv tuner and about 4 fans.

Ex: Now I have set Vcore in Bios 1.4v and it monitors 1.31-1.33v.

Last edited:
Not sure if that problem is PS or not, but your PS is too wimpy for a Prescott. I generally recommend a PS that has 20 amps or more on the +12v rail. The wimpy PS might also be why you can't even run at default vcore, which is probably the real problem.

I've had a three 2.4G Celeron Ds (building OCed PCs for people), and they don't go above 3.2G, stock fan, 1.4375V. It fails prime at that speed, but is stable at about 3.1G, which is about a 25% OC. (the CPU is made in Phillipines)

However I also have 2.66G Celeron D, and it OCs to 3.6G, stock fan, 1.4375V. That an OC of 35%. Made in Malaysia.

I think the 2.66G are a better bet than the 2.4G.

Yeah I think with a 2.66 you can hit more MHz because of 20x multiplier vs 18x on the 2.4 .
In the meantime performance could be equal regarding the entire system because with higher fsb on the 2.4 I also get higher mem bus (almost 200).
I saw other people getting a max 3.1-3.2 with the 2.4 and a few lucky "chip" guys like me hitting over 3.5 .
In some tests with a better PSU then mine I hit 3.6 (200fsb) with 1.45v .
Temperatures are about 40C idle - 50C load (28 case temp) using a volcano7+ med speed.

Optix said:
Yeah I think with a 2.66 you can hit more MHz because of 20x multiplier vs 18x on the 2.4 .
In the meantime performance could be equal regarding the entire system because with higher fsb on the 2.4 I also get higher mem bus (almost 200).
I saw other people getting a max 3.1-3.2 with the 2.4 and a few lucky "chip" guys like me hitting over 3.5 .
In some tests with a better PSU then mine I hit 3.6 (200fsb) with 1.45v .
Temperatures are about 40C idle - 50C load (28 case temp) using a volcano7+ med speed.

It's not just the multiplier.....

The 2.4G Celeron D only seem to run on about 170MHz memory bus, while the 2.66 runs happily on the 180+ memory bus. What I was saying is that the 2.66G Celeron D seems to be able to OC better (35%, 180MHz) then the 2.4G (25%, 170MHz)

I also have a Prescott 2.4A which runs nicely at 3.4G (41-42% OC, 190MHz)

Back