• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I make WOW unplayable ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

Long story short, someone here is addicted to wow and doesnt want to find a job, anyway to make it so they cant play ? Its my PC / House / I pay everything. They are just lazy.

Other than uninstalling.

You can restrict game play hours in the account management section, but that requires username / password.

How is he getting the 15$ a month to play if hes broke anyways and why are you letting him play on your PC?

If you actually called blizzard and said you were the 'slacker's' parent and you felt they were addicted you might be able to get them to freeze his account. Not sure if that would work, but worth it as a last resort.

Even if you broke the disks and threw them out he could re-download it online and the CD-keys are already registered to his account.

WoW addictions are very serious, you should be talking whole heartedly to this person to stop, not trying to circumvent him / her. I mean you need to treating this person on the level of serious drug abuse.

my 2 cents

Long story short, someone here is addicted to wow and doesnt want to find a job, anyway to make it so they cant play ? Its my PC / House / I pay everything. They are just lazy.

Other than uninstalling.

Just go into the install directory and gut it a little.

A game won't run if its missing .dll's left right and center :D

The best part about this route is 'its not your fault' right?

I mean-- windows fragments and loses files all the time eherm... or so I hear...

Parental controls. If you are paying good chance you can get the account info. Just go in and setup controls so they can only play at certain times/not play at all till you change it. Other way is move core files that makes it unplayable. Or lastly, lock down the ports that wow uses.

My best friend just had his wife run away with another guy due to wow. Not the usual affair either, all she did was just play wow day in and day out for the last 2 years, and she was completely oblivious to her surroundings and her marriage, so when the guy said jump, she jumped.

Wow addictions are very serious.

Port block via the router.

3724 is for Burning Crusades far as I know. The patch down loader is 6112.

If your crafty and have a good router. Just iptable the game. So them ports do not work. It does nothing to your machine or game. Just on your hardware it is blocked from going to the MMORPG.

He can go elsewhere to play it if he wants.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17538469

Hes not my son, but rather my girlfriends brother...hes 20 living with us for a short time, supposed to get a job, but to damn lazy.

he gets a job for like 2 weeks then quits or gets fired. He is lucky we had him sign an agreement that he stays with us until jan. other wise his *** would be out on the street.

Port block via the router.

3724 is for Burning Crusades far as I know. The patch down loader is 6112.

If your crafty and have a good router. Just iptable the game. So them ports do not work. It does nothing to his machine or game. Just on your hardware.

H can go elsewhere to play it if he wants.

what about the litch king?

Password your PC, when leaving the house take the modem with you. there used to be a thread on the forum about thermite reaction to instakill a HDD, get the internet cut off for a months.

Seriously have a sit down and talk, if that doesn't get anywhere you have two options trying to helpgetting to the bottom of the addiction and dealing with the cause, being there for that person etc) or be forceful and applying pressure(forcing going cold turkey, cutting perks etc).

Are you trying to disable wow discreetly? Is it your 2nd computer or is it your main computer that you also play wow on? How good is he with computers?

+1 to blocking WoW ports.

Getting a "connection error" is much more discouraging that anything else, because if it's just a file, he'll find a way to get it back, or if you password protect the PC, he's gonna whine against you.

With the connection error, he's gonna probably try to find a fix himself, but I have a feeling he won't be able to.

its your computer, you own it.

if he ******* about it tough ****. buy a lock for it too

I'd uppercut him and then follow up with a HADOUKEN.

Being a programmer. You should get a kick out of this one... :attn:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO When you get a job. You got WoW back on my hardware, modem and home!
ECHO.
pause
Replacing the links in the wow shortcuts. Pretty basic and makes a point. (easy to put in something like: To correct the issue. Talk to computer Administrator!)

Blocking the ports is way more subtle and avoids confrontations. It also exerts ownership over the stuff. How many people know about ports and releasing them. Then they have to find out how to get into a password protected router.

Last edited:
my advise, use wow as insentive, block him from using it, via passwording the PC or blocking the ports etc. until he gets a job.

then let him play again, if he looses his job, remove acess again etc etc. he will fight against it at 1st but as long as you remain resolute eventually he will settle down into a job.

when he has a job, dont let him play in the morning before he goes to work and then only let him on in the evenings after he has got home, done chores around the house. then also make sure he isnt online till 1-5am etc.

since you pay the broadband bill you are in the power seat :) itll be uncomfortable around the dinner table at 1st but itll quickly settle down.

if he doesnt improve (ie get a job etc) then at least he isn't playing wow anymore!

if you really want to get him to stop playing, log on his char insult everyone you see so every1 hates him = wow unbearable to play

Just make him pay for some of the utilities/internet etc. Tell him to get a job at like a gaming center or maybe a gamestop. That'll give him incentive to go to work if hes a gamer and maybe afterwards he'll be tired of games and not want to play.

well if he has physical access to the router port blocking wouldnt work.
I would assume one of the first things you would do is reset the router, for a connection problem. If he finds the hard reset then he gets around the port blocking

If you REALLY want to throw him for a loop put linux on the computer and he wont know how to do anything :p but seriously I don't know how you can become an addict to the game.
I play sure, but outside of a big push to level, I usually feel no compulsion to play the game

As for the leveling, I feel that with any rpg style game, but I burn myself out fairly quickly if left alone for a month or so. I put WoW down for 16 months, and didnt miss it a bit. (outside of the initial 'so now what' phase)

Um...forget about blocking ports. You can have internet access disabled at a designated time. I say knock the whole thing out.

Just like for kids and their latenight xbox gaming.

Back