• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using air conditioner to cool down CPU air cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freak11

hi guys,
Has anyone ever attempted to use an air conditioner to cool case and computer components. I am thinking about setting up something like that but I have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

yeah, simplest thing to do is build a duct from the air con to the intake fans of the case.

There is that concern, but air conditioners generally remove any humidity from the air they put out. As long as the general humidity in the house is low, the a/c probably won't cool the components far enough below ambient to cause any condensation. Definitely something to keep an eye on until you're sure it won't happen though.

There is that concern, but air conditioners generally remove any humidity from the air they put out. As long as the general humidity in the house is low, the a/c probably won't cool the components far enough below ambient to cause any condensation. Definitely something to keep an eye on until you're sure it won't happen though.

well i am looking to get temperatures in the range 20-15 C. I know i can get a lot cooler but i wont go lower coz of condensation.

The above post is SPAM.

It's been done a lot! Seen many pics and results of a window AC unit with a duct made of many materials to reduce the size to a 4" dryer duct exhaust hose. You can buy the hose at even Wallmart. Then you connect it directly to the input of a 120mm fan somewhere on the case with a custom ghetto adaptor. You can do great on AC air.

Don't expect CPU temp depending on your CPU to be 15C-20C under load, but you will get lower CPU temps for sure. It can only help these GPU monsters too.

Biggest issue is have the PC on before you turn on the AC, it will help with any issue of condensation. Understand/learn dew points and the nature of condensation. Just find rigs and info where others have done it. If your room is at 95% humidity when you turn the AC on, the interior of the PC should be plenty warm to prevent any condensation. But few houses interior is above 60% humidity with central air, so your okay.

A window AC unit is a LOT louder than a normal PC, and pulls a lot of power. Expect your electric bill to be higher.

Been done tho, kinda neat.

I do not have an A/C hooked up BUT I do have a metal gas vent tube attached to the window to bring in the cool outside air right now I am seeing temps as low as 20c without any fancy or expensive cooling products...Soon I hope to go even lower in temps;)

This is quite the thread Necro Riyanac. The OP hasn't posted on the forums in over 12 years. I wouldn't expect a reply.

Necromaster2.jpg

Back