• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Un-reviewed toys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

I'm looking to WC my rig. I am really curious about the MagiCool XTREME Nova 1080 Radiator. Has anyone here ever used one of these? (not heard about or had a buddy but physically used one?)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._XTREME_Nova_1080_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s667

http://www.crazypc.com/products/mcp655-b-9336B.html

Would a Swiftech MCP655-B™ 12 VDC Pump be enough for a single loop with that rad? Currently I am only cooling the CPU. My eventual plan is cool CPU, mobo, and if waterblocks for them ever come out my current (and hopefully by then 2nd) Asus Matrix 5870's in CF.

I'm sure as I add more I will need another pump as well, but will that pump power a single loop just cooling the CPU for now?

As of now I can't find a single review of the big rad, tons of speculation and comments, but no hard data. I want to bench my system before all of this and get some hard numbers to actually compare this to. I know there may be better cheaper alternatives, but I'm willing to spend the cash to get some hard numbers.

i knew a guy who had a buddy who used this once ;)

But seriously, I can dig up some reviews of the magicool triples if you'd like...other than that I haven't seen one around here (maybe Ilden had one...but I think his was a mora, not a magicool)...spawninc runs 3 120.3's in a radbox iirc...but no one running this in specific

eeeh, could be...for one, the magicools aren't incredible rads (don't get me wrong, they're pretty good, but it's no PA/XChanger/BIX), though rad differences are pretty minimal at this point...well see what the TFC admiral does to that though. As for its performance, it'd be wonderful for high heatload applications, like huge single loops, but due to the fact that water is based on ambient temperatures, it would probably not see much better temps than 120.5 of rad...they'd be better, but not a lot.

I have to admit, I only want this because I have a shop fan that will sit perfectly beside it and flood it with like 400 cfm... :D I don't hear very well so fan noise doesn't bother me, it would bother my wife but she's so into tech and being geeky she thinks it's awesome.

Well if that's the case I think that a truck radiator might be more up your alley...see if you can find a truck radiator/heatercore that's brass/copper (NOT ALUMINUM!!!1) that's about the same dimensions as your fan. It'll perform better and you'll get to have some DIY fun. I'm sure quietice has a guide to modding heatercores to work in wc loops (or maybe he can just tell you). I'm thinking the recommended method is brazing, but I could be wrong...

Good read:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-143393.html

That rad would cool a lot. It's a very old design, from 2007. It's QUOTE from Marci, a retired GOD in the WC world and the designer of the Thermochill rads.
07/10/2007
"That's exactly what it is - it's 3x Alphacool Nexxxos Extreme 360 cores (ie: Magicool 360 cores rebadged to Alphacool) with modified endtanks, with a wrapper around them for fan mounting (with no rebadging). That's it, plain and simple."

From Waterlogged, he's still active.
07/10/2007
"@ Duh, Using this forums favorite fans, it doesn't perform too well. Put some louder fans on it and it's a different story.

2 - Performance order (best to worst) based on final coolant temp, cooled with YateLoon 120mm fan - lower the "k" figure (difference between coolant temp and air temp), cooler the coolant, therefore better the performance...

At 600rpm:
Thermochill PA120.3 - 7k
Watercool HTSF - 8k
Watercool HTSF3-x - 8.4k.
Cooltek Maxistream / Swiftech MCR - 8.4k
Black Ice GT - 9.2k
Black Ice Extreme - 11k
Alphacool NexXxos Pro - 11.2k
Black Ice GT X-Flow - 12.1k
Black Ice Extreme X-Flow - 12.3k
Alphacool NexXxos Extreme - 14k

At 900rpm:
ThermoChill - 6.2k
Cooltek - 6.9k
BIGT - 7.2k
WC HTSF - 7.3k
BIGT-XFlow - 7.3k
WC HTSF3-x - 7.4k
NexXxos Pro - 7.5k
BIX - 8.5k
NexXxos Extreme - 8.5k
BIX-XFlow - 9.5k

At 1200rpm:
ThermoChill - 4.2k
Cooltek - 5.6k
BIGT - 5.7k
BIGT-XFlow - 5.9k
BIX - 5.9k
NexXxos Pro - 6.1k
NexXxos Extreme - 6.1k
HTF3-x - 6.3k
HTSF - 6.3k
BIX-XFlow - 6.6k"

It's flow rate is a bit low.

But, take the shroud thingy off (you can) can try that house fan. Hopefully the house fan has good pressure. For the price it's huge in cooling.

And you possibly might need another pump. But a MCP35X would be the pump I would use, the new one that Gabe from Swiftech is selling.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu1.html

Good read:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-143393.html

That rad would cool a lot. It's a very old design, from 2007. It's QUOTE from Marci, a retired GOD in the WC world and the designer of the Thermochill rads.
07/10/2007
"That's exactly what it is - it's 3x Alphacool Nexxxos Extreme 360 cores (ie: Magicool 360 cores rebadged to Alphacool) with modified endtanks, with a wrapper around them for fan mounting (with no rebadging). That's it, plain and simple."

From Waterlogged, he's still active.
07/10/2007
"@ Duh, Using this forums favorite fans, it doesn't perform too well. Put some louder fans on it and it's a different story.

2 - Performance order (best to worst) based on final coolant temp, cooled with YateLoon 120mm fan - lower the "k" figure (difference between coolant temp and air temp), cooler the coolant, therefore better the performance...

At 600rpm:
Thermochill PA120.3 - 7k
Watercool HTSF - 8k
Watercool HTSF3-x - 8.4k.
Cooltek Maxistream / Swiftech MCR - 8.4k
Black Ice GT - 9.2k
Black Ice Extreme - 11k
Alphacool NexXxos Pro - 11.2k
Black Ice GT X-Flow - 12.1k
Black Ice Extreme X-Flow - 12.3k
Alphacool NexXxos Extreme - 14k

At 900rpm:
ThermoChill - 6.2k
Cooltek - 6.9k
BIGT - 7.2k
WC HTSF - 7.3k
BIGT-XFlow - 7.3k
WC HTSF3-x - 7.4k
NexXxos Pro - 7.5k
BIX - 8.5k
NexXxos Extreme - 8.5k
BIX-XFlow - 9.5k

At 1200rpm:
ThermoChill - 4.2k
Cooltek - 5.6k
BIGT - 5.7k
BIGT-XFlow - 5.9k
BIX - 5.9k
NexXxos Pro - 6.1k
NexXxos Extreme - 6.1k
HTF3-x - 6.3k
HTSF - 6.3k
BIX-XFlow - 6.6k"

It's flow rate is a bit low.

But, take the shroud thingy off (you can) can try that house fan. Hopefully the house fan has good pressure. For the price it's huge in cooling.

And you possibly might need another pump. But a MCP35X would be the pump I would use, the new one that Gabe from Swiftech is selling.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu1.html

The pump I picked up is higher flow than the one you linked. I went with the swiftech MCP655: http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP655-12-VDC-Pump-pr-2982.html It's a little bit higher flow than the one you link with higher pressure. I was going to run my loop like this: Res>pump>rad>CPU>res

2 minutes with the calculator told me the MCP 35X has a max flowrate of 1050 LPH or 285 GPH with a maximum of 22 PSI - versus the MCP655 at 1200 LPH 317 GPH and a maximum of 50 psi (according to listed specs!)

The fan I intend to use isn't a house fan. It's one of those vortex wind machines they use in auto shops for Dyno testing. I could totally do the DIY thing, but I've reached a point in life where my time is more valuable to me than the extra cash. Working an 8 hour day and doing school every night for 4 hours is exhausting.

What I would be very interested in seeing is someone using a turbo inter-cooler as a rad.

The pump I picked up is higher flow than the one you linked. I went with the swiftech MCP655: http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP655-12-VDC-Pump-pr-2982.html It's a little bit higher flow than the one you link with higher pressure. I was going to run my loop like this: Res>pump>rad>CPU>res

2 minutes with the calculator told me the MCP 35X has a max flowrate of 1050 LPH or 285 GPH with a maximum of 22 PSI - versus the MCP655 at 1200 LPH 317 GPH and a maximum of 50 psi (according to listed specs!)

The fan I intend to use isn't a house fan. It's one of those vortex wind machines they use in auto shops for Dyno testing. I could totally do the DIY thing, but I've reached a point in life where my time is more valuable to me than the extra cash. Working an 8 hour day and doing school every night for 4 hours is exhausting.

What I would be very interested in seeing is someone using a turbo inter-cooler as a rad.

PSI is what the max is, or what the housing is rated at for over pressure. Rads will POP at 50 PSI. No worry,?k, it's a new thing you gotta figure out. WHAT MATTERS? You need to look at head pressure, that's what is needed in a restrictive loop. Your choice of rad might be restrictive if you dig through the post I linked to. Head pressure overcomes restriction, keeping the flow rate up, needed for the CPU block to work effectively.

Your going to see 1-1.5 GPH in a well designed loop. Not what the pump is rated at. The CPU block is VERY restrictive and blocks a LOT of the flow rate, it's designed for that to allow something called 'inpingment' to increase heat transfer. Thus you need head pressure to keep the flow rate reasonable.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332602&postcount=4

The new 35X pump is better for restrictive loops than the 655. Fact. The old MCP355 with a aftermarket top is one of the best pumps. Gabe made it better (35X) with a new top for the pump, no need to ruin the pumps warrenty anymore.

You 'could' spend lots of time at Skinnees, here, and at XS and read though the hundreds of threads discussing flow rates, head pressure etc etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the chart you linked. It shows the mcp655 getting a greater flow rate, but at less pressure if I'm reading that correctly. I already have the pump on the way, I will give it a shot and if it doesn't work well I will switch over to the 35x or two 35x's running in succession. I'm trying to find a waterblock for my Asus Matrix 5870, I've had no luck thus far.

Your pump should be fine. I'm just trying to clear up some specs on the pump that really don't matter.

The flow rate is varied on a test stand by a valve and a pressure guage is installed

Res/pump/flow meter/Pressure Gauge/valve
^
|_____<<<<<<<____________<<<<____|

Tried to make a loop picture above.

The valve goes from max open to max closed, changing flow rates, simulating loop restrictions.

What the chart is showing, with ZERO flow, meaning the outlet is blocked, you have 2.75 meters of vertical pressure on your pump. In a restrictive system this could let the flow rate drop below optimal.

Compare your pump to the 35X. It's pressure is much higher, and stays much higher.

Basically, you need xx flow, and a strong head pressure to overcome restrictions in the loop. Lots of tubing, many angled fittings, etc etc. The diagram shows the charecteristics of the different pumps.

You can only try out what you have and go from there.

Can you link the card? EK has a few different waterblocks for different PCB versions of cards.

The OEM PCB versions always work with FC waterblocks. Non-OEM (changed PCB layout) boards have issues. The block manufacturers can't aford to prototype each and every board out there. So sometimes peeps get left out in the cold for FC blocks. Life in the WC world I guess.

You could always use a GPU chip only block and air cool the VRMs and ram chips.

Swiftech makes a very popular GPU chip block. And maybe even a air cooled HS for the rest. Check out the Swiftech home page.

Can you link the card? EK has a few different waterblocks for different PCB versions of cards.

The OEM PCB versions always work with FC waterblocks. Non-OEM (changed PCB layout) boards have issues. The block manufacturers can't aford to prototype each and every board out there. So sometimes peeps get left out in the cold for FC blocks. Life in the WC world I guess.

You could always use a GPU chip only block and air cool the VRMs and ram chips.

Swiftech makes a very popular GPU chip block. And maybe even a air cooled HS for the rest. Check out the Swiftech home page.

The card is: ASUS ROG MATRIX 5870 P/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5870 Platinum 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

You can find it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4121382&cm_re=asus_rog-_-14-121-382-_-Product

I'm wondering if the cooling block from Koolance would fit: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1022

I emailed them and they didn't give me a straight answer heh.

Edit: did some more looking the v2 does NOT fit the ASUS Matrix, currently I am not finding anything that does.

Last edited:
afaik, for the 5870 there are only reference blocks...probably gonna have to go universal.

I'm not sure I understand the chart you linked. It shows the mcp655 getting a greater flow rate, but at less pressure if I'm reading that correctly. I already have the pump on the way, I will give it a shot and if it doesn't work well I will switch over to the 35x or two 35x's running in succession. I'm trying to find a waterblock for my Asus Matrix 5870, I've had no luck thus far.

Already bought and shipped, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If it doesn't work the way I want I'll just move to the 35X's. I've been going back and reading all the WC stickies on all the OC sites, my head hurts.

I got it and it's installed!

So I received all of my toys this last weekend and with the help of a cay off got it all assembled. I'm not at home So I can't post the screens to this thread but they are located near the bottom of this page: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648612&page=2

I went from running at around 57-59c at max load with about 20-22c idle @ 4.1 ghz

to roughly 29-31c at max load 16-18cc idle @ 4.3 ghz

I tested passive cooling as well as high and low fan speeds with the radiator.

With just passive cooling the radiator cannot handle the temps and will quickly reach about 47c+ (my system started to have stability issues when temps broke about 47c so I didn't get to see how high it might go, safe to say though that you need a fan.

My fan is a shop fan, it was used in an automotive shop and is rated at 4,000 cfm peak output (most common numbers I could find on product specs) It has a 3 stage control on the back for a high med low setting. I have no idea how strong med and low are but it's a significant decrease with low probably putting out no more than 300-400 cfm (on high I actually have to secure the case or it tries to blow over.)

On low my max temps are roughly 31c all of my posted temps are with this fan on LOW. On medium I only see a slight 1-1.5c decrease, but on high it is upwards of 3-5c drop. Pushing my max temps under 26c while benching. I haven't had a chance to do sustained testing (3+ hrs each) but these results were derived from an hour on each setting while benching.

I am very happy with this radiator thus far, using the mcp655 b (no pump controller) and an HK supreme LT my flowrate is about 1.6-7 gpm ( it will empty a 5 gallon bucket in 3mins 12 seconds (I'm having a brain lock if someone wants to check my math)

I removed the 9 120mm fan mount plate and noticed a 2c drop, the plate was restricting airflow from the larger fan. Currently I'm not sure I would mount fans to it, it only came with one plate, so another would have to be bought or made to set up fans in a push/pull configuration.

I think the higher cfm shop fan cools much much better than smaller fans would, but it comes at a price (NOISE!) So far I really like it, It's def not for everybody being about the size of an 18 wheeler :p but it seems to work well.

Back