• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Piledriver going to stay on AM3+ or use a new socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

I haven't really paid attention much, so has any word been said on whether or not PileDriver is going to be on AM3+ like BD or are they going with a new socket?

"Piledriver cores" AKA "Komodo" architecture is scheduled for socket FM2 acording to AMD marketing info from just before BD launch.

details-w.jpg
AMD-10-Core-Processor-7-27-2011-1024x767.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure I would trust anything after the 'hype' of FX release and the general feeling of letdown so many have had.

The APU series is going to FM2 is probably a sure thing when Piledriver becomes part of the APU processing series with intergrated graphics.

Most of the information seems to point to the desktop processor version of Piledriver will in fact remain AM3+. But who really does know. Maybe AMD learned something and will not release the new BD PD before it is something more than hype or perceived hype. Something really powerful may need a new socket in the end. This constant harping on what it, is just exactly what made the FX release such a feeling of disappointment for so many. Late and not fast is what BD felt like to so many.

If I were AMD I would make adjustments to ensure that was not what happens with the PileDriver release. But then I am not in big business and they get by with many things. Execs get big bonuses for ruining a company and then leaving. So who knows. I would guess AMD is not even sure yet. They feel like they will do X but in the end someone in charge may change the actual circumstances.

I was going to ask the same question myself.

I want to buy a new motherboard for my 1090T...so been thinking about Crosshair V formula..so it would be great if piledriver would work in it too since I don't plan on getting bulldozer since it's not really any better then my 1090T OCd...but will probably get piledriver if it works in the CHV and is much better.

mayb i'm retarded but isn't Intel's support for more PCIe bandwidth going to dominate AMD regardless of their upcoming CPU releases? I see nothing from AMD in regards to support for high end 2/3-way video card systems; right?

I too want to buy a new AM3+ mobo, but the temptation to join the darkside is growing. New 4core i7 at $300, 2011 chipset wth support for more video card bandwidth == WIN!

mayb i'm retarded but isn't Intel's support for more PCIe bandwidth going to dominate AMD regardless of their upcoming CPU releases? I see nothing from AMD in regards to support for high end 2/3-way video card systems; right?

I too want to buy a new AM3+ mobo, but the temptation to join the darkside is growing. New 4core i7 at $300, 2011 chipset wth support for more video card bandwidth == WIN!

GO for it if you like what you see on the Intel side.

I think it would be wise for them to do an FX refresh even if they also release gen 2 FX on its own socket. I imagine that even if there was no performance boost but they do manage to cut down power consumption by this claimed 35% people would be ALOT happier about the FX series. I will say that if they do move to a new platform regardless of the bad rep that might earn them with some current owners, good for them. Sometimes you just have to let some ideas die to move onto better ones. Intels rapid move from platform to platform has regularly shown a pretty good performance increase. AMD gen to gen is much smaller but they drag a platform until its been dead for ages.

I was going to again ask the same question see I am considering an upgrade a new AM3+ Gigabyte board with 8GB DDR3 RAM and for a while keep my HD5770 and P-II 945 until Piledriver comes out. But I dont know if one PD will be a new socket and GB will release a BIOS to use that CPU on the board or will they cash in and make new ones but only release a Bios update for the 990 chipset boards.

I am buying the 970 board and now too sure yet if it's worth the risk in fact after 12 years of AMD I thinking of going over to INTEL for an iCore5 CPU and board.

I think it would be wise for them to do an FX refresh even if they also release gen 2 FX on its own socket. I imagine that even if there was no performance boost but they do manage to cut down power consumption by this claimed 35% people would be ALOT happier about the FX series. I will say that if they do move to a new platform regardless of the bad rep that might earn them with some current owners, good for them. Sometimes you just have to let some ideas die to move onto better ones. Intels rapid move from platform to platform has regularly shown a pretty good performance increase. AMD gen to gen is much smaller but they drag a platform until its been dead for ages.

To be honest you do have a point take when AMD went from Socket A to 754/939 A64 it was the best move they ever did and made them the top CPU to own then the crappy AM2/+ move which had no gain as much at first didn't do them any favours maybe its time they did do a new socket refresh fair enough AM3 is technically a new one but maybe they should look at from INTEL's point of view and create a new one and look at breaking that performance curse.

can some1 set me straight on this pls.... According to the stats of the LGA2011 platform it would be the strongest supporting platform for a SLI/crossfire PICe 3.0 setup. However further reading suggest that the current 2011 processors dont actually have full support for dual/3way video card setups... so it sort of seems that upgrading to the lga2011 just to take full advantage of 2x/3x video cards would be a waste. Does the lga2011 processors take more advantage of the 40x channels for pcie? does the 40channels factor in to better performance of 2/3 video cards? thoughts on the best platform with dual/triple video card setups in mind?

@Angel: I was very close to where u are now. I spent the $150 to upgrade from a similar system to a am3+ with ddr3 memory, well worth it. OC'd my 925 to 3.8ghz, memory is at close to ddr1600, and i got a new video card as my 4890 wasn't cutting it. I'd suggest you buy a new MOBO, any ddr3 (1333+) ((As i'm pretty sure the denab can't take full advantage of more than 1333)), and get a secondary 6870 and run them in xfire. this system should be baddass enough to last you for a while. If you plan to OC the 945 proc u have, I'd suggest aftermarket cooling. My hyper212+ keeps my 925 plenty cool at almost a 1ghz OC.

can some1 set me straight on this pls.... According to the stats of the LGA2011 platform it would be the strongest supporting platform for a SLI/crossfire PICe 3.0 setup. However further reading suggest that the current 2011 processors dont actually have full support for dual/3way video card setups... so it sort of seems that upgrading to the lga2011 just to take full advantage of 2x/3x video cards would be a waste. Does the lga2011 processors take more advantage of the 40x channels for pcie? does the 40channels factor in to better performance of 2/3 video cards? thoughts on the best platform with dual/triple video card setups in mind?

This is perhaps best asked in the intel section.

To be honest you do have a point take when AMD went from Socket A to 754/939 A64 it was the best move they ever did and made them the top CPU to own then the crappy AM2/+ move which had no gain as much at first didn't do them any favours maybe its time they did do a new socket refresh fair enough AM3 is technically a new one but maybe they should look at from INTEL's point of view and create a new one and look at breaking that performance curse.

They had no choice. Integrating the memory controller onto the die mean they needed more pins. Same reason they brought out FM1, more pins are needed when graphics are integrated. The more you integrate onto a chip the more connections you need, pretty straightforward.

Besides, AMD being a smaller company they can't afford to annoy everyone by constantly changing sockets. They sick with a socket for a long time so people can upgrade with their existing hardware and it keeps cheapskates like me running AMD for 1x additional upgrade due to a drop in CPU replacement being cheaper than CPU + mainboard. If someone has to replace mainboard + CPU then they have the opton of going with either Intel or AMD. Right now, that would be a bad idea for AMD.

Anyway, I'm not upgrading until PD is released. My current mainboard has been a PITA for a while. Every now and again you go to power it on and the fans will begin to spin then it'll turn off again. Unplugging at the wal doesn't fix however pulling out the 12v rail on the mainboard and plugging back in allows you to turn the computer on..... I'm just getting by until PD is released, then it's upgrade time ;)

Last edited:
I am not sure how much I trust the road map considering the 28 NM issue at global.

Not tha tbig of a deal considering they said they're going Bulk process at 28nm and ditching SOI. This opens up TSMC as their (likely) manufacturing partner

Back