• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My mobo's mojo's KO'd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, I'll eventually do one just for kicks, but I don't see how that's likely to help this problem. It runs very stably at 910 mhz on a 1.6 vcore, but won't even post at 950 and 1.85 vcore. I don't see that this is a problem with the core getting enough voltage. I'm more inclined to think that I have some sort of problem in the way the mobo supplies power to the AGP and PCI.

I've got the cpu out and have looked over the socket as closely as i can. No way to see well into those tiny holes, but it looks clean as far as I can tell.

So, let's take an inventory.
New PSU doesn't help
Different AGP video doesn't help
Switching to PCI video doesnt' help
Disconnecting everything but the mobo, the hsf, and the vid card doesn't help.
Switching monitors doesn't help

As I see it, the only other variables are the motherboard and the ram. What do y'all think? This doesn't smell like ram to me. Is it time to RMA the board?

nihili

Well, ram is cheap, but then again, all CPU's are not created equal. I could very well be that you hit the wall on that one?

I've got the same mobo, and it kicks a**. Since it seems to run great otherwise, I would doubt it's the mobo.

Just my .02

Doctor

Yeah I've wondered about the chip too. But isn't it odd to go from running great at 9x100 to not POSTing at 9.5x100? Also if it were the chip running inot a wall then I never should have been able to coax 1006 mhz out of it by jiggling the video card.

On the other hand if the motherboard's voltage chip is awry so that at boot it's not able to supply enough voltage to both the AGP/PCI and the CPU, that would be some explanation for what's going on. Curiously what voltage rail does the AGP/PCI run on? Is it the 5v like the CPU? WHat's the 3.3v used for?

I've thought about just getting a stick of Crucial ram. But I don't really need more ram, and the stuff I've got is just rebranded micron. So unless there's a specific reason to think ram is the problem, it seems like a long shot.

Here's where it would be helpful to have a good multi-meter and a better knowledge of the details of the boot sequence and some mobo circuitry....

nihili

could be your chip is at the wall.my 750 athalon only runs @866 with stability,it will boot sometimes at other speeds like 910 and 932 and run sandra's benches or prime 95 but folding@home will eventually cause errors including data corruption.a 20 percent oc ain't bad for air cooling.

i did read an article here somewhere that eluded to the board having problems supplying enough power (as well as the k266 board)but my oc is at default voltage with all four fan headers used three hd's and two system fans and of coarse floppy and two cd's.anyway my next step is a bigger chip,meybe a 1.4.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one last idea!

When I installed the "new" 20e bios, I lost the ability to overclock as high as I could with the S907. It would barely run 1700mhz with the 20e, and runs 1764 -Stable- with the S907. No matter how much I played with it, no-go. After re-flashing, all back to S907, go go GO!

Just another idea.............

Doctor

sorry about my last post,in checking back while reading other posts i didn't realize we werent talking about a kt7so ignore the reference to the voltage article but someone who pays attention to details like you do i am sure you will resolve yourproblem.

Ok, I'll give the 907 a shot. Am also debating getting a stick of crucial ram just to eliminate one more thing. Which I had another cpu laying around to check it with.

Well.

+3.3v is for your RAM and AGP card... +5V is for the yellow wire off of the molex connectors on your power supply. I believe your floppy runs off of +5v. Your vcore is run off of +5v too, I believe.

Hmmm, that's what i thought. WOnder if there's a problem there. I'll keep track of it more.

nihili

Is PCI 3.3V too?

Ok, I'll give the 907 a shot. Am also debating getting a stick of crucial ram just to eliminate one more thing. Which I had another cpu laying around to check it with.

Back