• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's a lot posted now at most of the major sites. I thank you for posting a link but I just have to bash their methods: wtf is the point of testing a lower midrange card in new DX11 titles with settings like 8x AA? I know it's so they can easily publish a full chart including prior faster cards tested but it's just a stupid way to test a lower midrange card. It gives me no idea whether the card might be suitable with some lowered settings and it makes me appreciate [H]ardocp's methods a little more even though they don't test very many games.

Disappointing results for nvidia. ATI comes along with a small price drop on their cards and eats nvidia's lunch. I wonder how well it folds though?

If the GTS450 scales anything like the GTX460 in SLi that might make things up for Nvidia.

When these are ~$100 I may seriously consider one. Sure, it's only a slightly faster G92 replacement but the performance is ok for my needs and the power draw is good. Not sure why but I've always felt NV cards were less 'quirky' than ATI, I did avoid the whole pre-SP1 Vista driver debacle though :D

*THere is also one passive GTS 450 already :D from Sparkle though :-/ great PSUs especially back in the day, not so sure about their cards although I doubt it would be bad. Although the fan noise on them is already very low passive would be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
From what I have read so far, they scale as the 460's do.
The thing that dissapoints me, is that they hardly outperform the GTS250... and its a 3 year old design. This should be a sub $100 card in my mind.

Not outperforming the previous gen cards at a given price point is the whole story of the 40nm GPUs aside from the top-end chips. It was the same thing with the 5700s, 5830, NVs G/GT series, GTX 465. The only standout is the GTX 460 especially in 1GB but it's so late versus AMDs cards. I think at $100 this would make a good card too if you need one at that price point, then at least you're getting somewhat of an improvement over G92 cards, DX11 isn't that big a deal yet. Right now the GTX 460 768MB is a much better buy for $30-40 more.

I was just about to purchase this card as I am after an upgrade from my 9600GT I am looking for a card that uses low power but can give me good performance, but I think the HD5770 is the card for me. Thing is now nvidia have relased this I hope AMD lower the HD5770 price,

They did. There's at least two 5770's for $125 AMIR on newegg right now, making the 450 pretty much DOA.

Nvidia really needs to pull it's head out into the sunshine if they wanna live. ATI is just whollopping them at the moment

In terms of replacement, GTS 450 is the same joke to GTS 250 as 8600GT was to 7600GT..
I can not believe they shrinked to 128 bits - this means that GTS 450 is cheaper for NVIDIA to manufacture than GTS 250, but for us - the GTS 450 is more expensive than GTS 250.
This was really cheap from nvidia..
GTS 450 costs almost as GTX 460, but lags behind HD5770? This must be a joke.

From what I have read so far, they scale as the 460's do.
The thing that dissapoints me, is that they hardly outperform the GTS250... and its a 3 year old design. This should be a sub $100 card in my mind.

MMM what? 3 years ago the newest cards were HD2900 PRO and 8800GT.... You meant 1 year old design...

The design was derived from the 8800gtx/ultra on a different bus and smaller process (128 cores?) that turned into the 8800gts 512 into the 9800gtx into the GTS250 with minimal benefits/differences.

I love Nvidia but at the moment ATI are better unless you are buying a card in the GTX460's class.

Disappointing results for nvidia. ATI comes along with a small price drop on their cards and eats nvidia's lunch. I wonder how well it folds though?

The card is geared at a more casual/HTPC crowd. Not the hardcore gamers.

I agree with you in a way though, nvidia needs to step their game up and release a decent card, like a 495

they don't need to release a 495, they need midrange / low end cards to compete i wth ATI

this card sucks for HTPC cause the ATI side has better offerings.

Considering it may suck, some people will buy a part just because they hear about it.

So far if nVidia has it's highest end card, that can barely compete with two mid range cards in SLi(GTX 460) can't compete with one of ATi's "lower spectum of high range" gfx card, then they are either going to get absolutely pounded by ATi or they are planning the release of an absolute monster.

Considering it may suck, some people will buy a part just because they hear about it.

So far if nVidia has it's highest end card, that can barely compete with two mid range cards in SLi(GTX 460) can't compete with one of ATi's "lower spectum of high range" gfx card, then they are either going to get absolutely pounded by ATi or they are planning the release of an absolute monster.

The GTX 4xx is their monster, huge transistor count, die size. It's all Nvidia has for about a year. They really needed to have pulled off a spectacular product to pull their bacon out of the fire after laptop fiasco and various other gaffs. Now I'm concerned they may go under.

The GTX 4xx is their monster, huge transistor count, die size. It's all Nvidia has for about a year. They really needed to have pulled off a spectacular product to pull their bacon out of the fire after laptop fiasco and various other gaffs. Now I'm concerned they may go under.

Nvidia's net assets are over 6 times AMD's. They'll be just fine, for a while anyway.

Back