• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know of a 120hz LED display?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChaosInMind

Looking to game at 1080p, not interested in 1920x1200 prefer 1920x1080. I found plenty of 22-24in LED displays and a few 120Hz LCD displays. Do no LED 120hz displays exist in the 22-24inch range?

As awesome as it would be to game on a 42inch LED TV I cant afford 3-6 grand ;-)

Looking to game at 1080p, not interested in 1920x1200 prefer 1920x1080. I found plenty of 22-24in LED displays and a few 120Hz LCD displays. Do no LED 120hz displays exist in the 22-24inch range?

As awesome as it would be to game on a 42inch LED TV I cant afford 3-6 grand ;-)

My guess its not cost effective... small LCD monitor draw very little, having an LED monitor, seems pointless for right now.... However non-LED 120hz Monitors do exist...

I assume you mean LCD monitor, not LED monitor. As far as 1920x1080, there are two I know of. The Acer Joeteck posted, which I believe Ratbuddy is getting when they come back in stock, and I'm sure would give a review if asked nicely, and then a more expensive Alienware one, which I assume is no more of a better display than the Acer, just overpriced like anything with Alienwares name on it.

I assume you mean LCD monitor, not LED monitor. As far as 1920x1080, there are two I know of. The Acer Joeteck posted, which I believe Ratbuddy is getting when they come back in stock, and I'm sure would give a review if asked nicely, and then a more expensive Alienware one, which I assume is no more of a better display than the Acer, just overpriced like anything with Alienwares name on it.

No, I mean LED Backlit. LED has a MUCH higher contrast ratio... Like 10,000,000:1. And its not dynamic.

The other link is a TV, I already have a 42" LCD in my living room (hooked up to my PC as well via HDMI). Just looking for something smaller for my primary monitor :-(

I can snatch a 24" LED backlit monitor for 299 and about the same for 120Hz LCD...

Oh well guess it's time to make a trade-off. I probably hit up LED for the picture quality.

Last edited:
No, I mean LED Backlit. LED has a MUCH higher contrast ratio... Like 10,000,000:1. And its not dynamic.

The other link is a TV, I already have a 42" LCD in my living room (hooked up to my PC as well via HDMI). Just looking for something smaller for my primary monitor :-(

I can snatch a 24" LED backlit monitor for 299 and about the same for 120Hz LCD...

Oh well guess it's time to make a trade-off. I probably hit up LED for the picture quality.

I'm not sold on LED technology yet.... Something about it just does not seem right....

I have two Acer 17" LCD 4:3 monitors (AL1702sm) at my work place.. Non-LED. Response time is 14ms, Contrast ratio is 350:1, however the brightness is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]350 cd/m², and is more important than contrast ratio IMO.. I have three preset brightness settings; Picture mode, text mode, and economy. The monitor is so bright, that I have it set for economy, and have the brightness control set very low.... It actually hurts my eye's...

So having a 10Million to 1 contrast ratio is not impressive to me...
[/FONT]as it will be not used....

I'm not sold on LED technology yet.... Something about it just does not seem right....

I have two Acer 17" LCD 4:3 monitors (AL1702sm) at my work place.. Non-LED. Response time is 14ms, Contrast ratio is 350:1, however the brightness is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]350 cd/m², and is more important than contrast ratio IMO.. I have three preset brightness settings; Picture mode, text mode, and economy. The monitor is so bright, that I have it set for economy, and have the brightness control set very low.... It actually hurts my eye's...

So having a 10Million to 1 contrast ratio is not impressive to me...
[/FONT]as it will be not used....

That high contrast ratio means Blacks = true black, whites = bright white. My Macbook pro has an LED backlit screen and its brilliant. If I am staring at a completely black picture with a light in the middle, the blacks stay completely black while the whites are lit. On an LCD the blacks get some mild bleed through, in other words they are lit anyway even though the color is black. Its more like a very dark gray on LCD's.

The brightness on it is very good as well, the colors are beautiful, and overall has a great look to it. I'm not having these brightness issues you seem to be having.

An LED is perfect for playing 3d games, photo editing, and digital art.

That high contrast ratio means Blacks = true black, whites = bright white. My Macbook pro has an LED backlit screen and its brilliant. If I am staring at a completely black picture with a light in the middle, the blacks stay completely black while the whites are lit. On an LCD the blacks get some mild bleed through, in other words they are lit anyway even though the color is black. Its more like a very dark gray on LCD's.

The brightness on it is very good as well, the colors are beautiful, and overall has a great look to it. I'm not having these brightness issues you seem to be having.

How did we do it before LED?? lol Funny stuff...

How did we do it before LED?? lol Funny stuff...

A liquid crystal display cannot turn off the backlight. Its always on. LED backlit has many "Light Emitting Diodes". Individual diodes can be dimmed or turned off completely.

Contrast ratio

A television's contrast ratio represents its ability to show detail in high contrast areas of the screen, in the form of minute gradations of colour and blacks or whites. For example, a panel with a low contrast ratio will struggle to show the higher or lower extremes of an image. In layman's terms, this means detail will be lost in bright areas as well as in dark scenes. In a Blu-ray movie, for example Batman Begins, the loss of detail in dark scenes will quickly become apparent.

The latest LED backlight technology allows the television to individually control backlight segments. This technology allows for contrast ratios similar to those produced by plasma television panels.

To sum it up, black = black, white = white. Off/On

LCD is On/On with dimming technology for "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" which isnt real... LCD's have a real contrast ration of about 2k-3k... Sometimes less. LED's have a REAL contrast ratio in the hundred of thousands+.

If you could watch a true-hd blu-ray with contrast scenes, you could tell the difference. The colors on an LED are much more brilliant and brighter and darker all at the same time. The same goes for video games... Lets say the original Bioshock when the plane crashes in the water and your surrounded by fire. This is a pitch black scene with bright lights. On an LCD the black look fairly gray. On LED its pitch black except the fire and the emitted light from it.

Your right though for general use, no big difference between LED/LCD. For me, its a big difference due to my use of Photoshop and gaming.

Last edited:
Well there is quite a bit of monitors on newegg

Yeah I know. Plenty of LED displays everywhere, just none at 120hz which was my problem. 120Hz displays are too expensive anyway. I'm sure the two technologies will merge somewhere down the line 1/3 years for 19-24inch displays.

A liquid crystal display cannot turn off the backlight. Its always on. LED backlit has many "Light Emitting Diodes". Individual diodes can be dimmed or turned off completely.

To sum it up, black = black, white = white. Off/On

LCD is On/On with dimming technology for "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" which isnt real... LCD's have a real contrast ration of about 2k-3k... Sometimes less. LED's have a REAL contrast ratio in the hundred of thousands+.

If you could watch a true-hd blu-ray with contrast scenes, you could tell the difference. The colors on an LED are much more brilliant and brighter and darker all at the same time. The same goes for video games... Lets say the original Bioshock when the plane crashes in the water and your surrounded by fire. This is a pitch black scene with bright lights. On an LCD the black look fairly gray. On LED its pitch black except the fire and the emitted light from it.

Your right though for general use, no big difference between LED/LCD. For me, its a big difference due to my use of Photoshop and gaming.

Yes.. I'm aware how the technology works.... My question was how we did it before LED technology... I guess thats where old CRT monitors really shine...

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of LED monitors, I just thought you were confusing acronyms :)

No problem, it happens a lot. Its always best to make sure because a lot of people do confuse them.

Take a trip to your local BestBuy and compare some LCD tv's to the new LED's. Aside from being 3k more expensive they are great displays ;-)

A 120hz 24" (well, 23.6") LED backlit monitor based on the same panel as the GD245HQ/GD235HZ is due out later this year. The model is tentatively V3D241wm-LED from Viewsonic.

A 120hz 24" (well, 23.6") LED backlit monitor based on the same panel as the GD245HQ/GD235HZ is due out later this year. The model is tentatively V3D241wm-LED from Viewsonic.

Sweet... Second thought, 1 20Hz display is like $400. I can only assume a 120Mh LED will be $500+... Maybe I'll just stick with LED.

Correct me if I am wrong, but current LED displays are still backlit LCDs. They replace the fluorescant light and the LED is only used for illumination. It is not the same as plasma or OLED, where each pixel is the actual light source.

Yes.. I'm aware how the technology works.... My question was how we did it before LED technology... I guess thats where old CRT monitors really shine...

I am a graphic designer, and work a ton in pre-press. The LED monitors are far more color accurate than any LCD I have seen. And yes, if you walk into a good pre-press department, you will see that CRTs are still used. Unfortunately, LCD displays are terrible for representing color, Apple made the only LCD that I have ever used that came close to being acceptable. LCD displays have huge gamut issues, and with most of them it is difficult to calibrate at all because they are inherently over saturated. The other major issue, is viewing angle. There are these monitors that say they have a 120 degree viewing angle, but if you open up Illustrator, and make a big red square the size of the screen, you will notice huge variances in color over the whole monitor. eg the top will be magenta, middle will be red, bottom will be burgundy. It just plain sucks, and when you are doing something that is actually color critical like design and soft proofing/photo editing... most LCD monitors fail miserably.

Unfortunately it is very easy to get into the design industry, just grab a copy of PhotoShop, and misuse it as a page layout program. Than when your print work comes back completely wrong, and all of your photos look like crap, blame the printer. "It didn't look like that on my monitor" :bang head:bang head

Back