• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[GUIDE] Forcing backup BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mario1

Grammer, its my favoriate thing
Ran into some problems today so I've decided to make a guide on how to kick-start the backup BIOS.

Method #1:
1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Method #3:
Had to use this one in order to get my 990FXA-D3 working again. Backup BIOS kicked in using method #2, but I was back to the good ol' no signal state once the procedure finished..
1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
2. Tell a friend (or a relative) of yours to press the power on button
3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
4. Backup BIOS should kick in again and everything will (hopefully) be fine.

Uhm yeah, that's about it, I guess.
P.S Please bare in mind that the 3rd method should only be used if you have the following options:
Option #1 Follow my dumb advices.
Option #2 RMA the board.

Ran into some problems today so I've decided to make a guide on how to kick-start the backup BIOS.

Method #1:
1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down

Method #3:
Had to use this one in order to get my 990FXA-D3 working again. Backup BIOS kicked in using method #2, but I was back to the good ol' no signal state once the procedure finished..
1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.

P.S Please bare in mind that the 3rd method should only be used if you have the following options:
Option #2 RMA the board.
Thank you, worked like magic.

Wow, my MoBo just corrupted BIOS by itself, and really I give it for dead, BUT after 2 days of searching and trying different methods, came to this place and read your post and believe it or not IT WORKED like a charm. I have no words for you mate and this solution!

Thank you! Thank you so much!!! I luv ya!

Method #1:

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down

Method #3:

Option #2 RMA the board.

my only question is: should i stay on Backup_BIOS switch ? and do all that ?? or switch to corrupted bios and do that ?? im currently in backup bios coz my main bios wont post

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down

#2 was the magic for my Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2. I was locked out and it would only go to a password request on a system upon which I had never set a password!
I was so relieved to see the Backup BIOS restoring to the Main BIOS.
Thanks for posting the secret.

my only question is: should i stay on Backup_BIOS switch ? and do all that ?? or switch to corrupted bios and do that ?? im currently in backup bios coz my main bios wont post
Wen you boot to backup bios it clears your main bios and resets it, so your on your main Bios now.

could some one anwser my question rather than posting things randomly ?

i hope youre not referring to me, my post was to help offer help for people with this problem in their board, if you read it your answer is in there, although i see wingman has answered it !!!

Jumping in late, but ageil, boot to backup bios, then flip the switch to the other bios. It should flash the main one. If you don't have a switch, sorry. Perhaps it's best to start your own thread for better help? Mario hasn't been around for quite some time.

Jumping in late, but ageil, boot to backup bios, then flip the switch to the other bios. It should flash the main one. If you don't have a switch, sorry. Perhaps it's best to start your own thread for better help? Mario hasn't been around for quite some time.

ok, i start up, in backup bios, while the pc is on, i flip it to main bios while the pc is on ? and what it restarts and start flashing my main ? or i screw it up by doing it ? cos if i **** up the only bios i have then im dead

Boot off working bios. While in bios, flip switch to second bios, then flash. This will flash your other bios. Then try to boot on newly flashed and formerly booked bios.

Boot off working bios. While in bios, flip switch to second bios, then flash. This will flash your other bios. Then try to boot on newly flashed and formerly booked bios.

by while in bios u mean entering BIOS (pressing del)? right then i use Qflash option while in Backup bios having the board bios in a flash drive ?

Back