• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x Crossfire and SLI setups: never twice the performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I had been considering just getting a second 6970 and crossfiring them, but someone told me that you can never double your FPS by crossfiring, he said it was basically impossible to do so in any game. I don't know if he meant across the board, or just minimum FPS.

What he meant by doubling the performance is that two crossfired 6970's would never give me twice the performance of one.

Acrossed the board it is very unlikely you will get 100% scaling with dual cards. Sli has better scaling than crossfire. Depends on games and drivers. This is why most people reccomend sticking with one card.

Acrossed the board it is very unlikely you will get 100% scaling with dual cards. Sli has better scaling than crossfire. Depends on games and drivers. This is why most people reccomend sticking with one card.

It used to be the other way around: better scaling in xFire (usually beyond 90%) than with SLi IIRC.

AMD used to have more micro stuttering issues than nVidia in multi GPUs configs.

But I believe it's fixed since early 2014.

I agree with Anthony on avoiding multi gpu solution if you can: multi gpu often causes some sort of issue, like drivers not ready yet, extra heat...

Better sell the 6970, and grab a 280x or 770 if your budget allows.

I had been considering just getting a second 6970 and crossfiring them, but someone told me that you can never double your FPS by crossfiring, he said it was basically impossible to do so in any game. I don't know if he meant across the board, or just minimum FPS.

What he meant by doubling the performance is that two crossfired 6970's would never give me twice the performance of one.
Its in the drivers and overhead of the act in general that causes you to essentially 'never' reach 2x performance.

As far as CFx your 6970, I wouldn't unless that is your only way out ($).

Scaling between the two camps is really about even honestly. It depends so much on the title and settings though that it is really hard to make such a comparison.

Back