• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question (sry) - Which Intel???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

I'm building a new rig for COD4 which I've read requires a recommend CPU of 3.2ghz for Vista and as it's been soo long since I've built a Rig (and know nuth'n about Intel's) I need your help to ensure I'm on the right track in selecting a CPU.
Which one of these are more suited for COD4 or is there another you would suggest?

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.0 Ghz 4m CACHE 1333FSB LGA 775 = AUS$345

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.40 Ghz QUAD CORE Latest G0 stepping / SLACR S-spec
= AUS$340

Quad core. It might run at 2.40Ghz as opposed to the E6850's 3.0Ghz, but it has 4 processors and not 2. The Quad core is more future proof, as more games are going to utilize Quad core CPU's in the next year, and editing/photo software already take advantage of them now. I'm sure others might disagree with me, but I find it hard to argue with 4 cores. You can also OC the Quad to 3.3-3.6Ghz easy on $30-$40 air cooling. I'm sure the E6850 will clock higher, but again, with two cores it's still going to fall short when it comes to multithreading.

Which ever one you choose COD4 is going to run without a hitch. It all depends on what you want to use it for and how long you're going to keep the CPU. I tend to stay on the same rig for years on end, so I go for the more future proof package.

Also.. COD4 doesn't need 3.2Ghz to run under Vista, I don't know why they spec'd the game that high. If you get an 8800GTS or similar card you could probably underclock the Core 2 and still be fine.

I'm building a new rig for COD4 which I've read requires a recommend CPU of 3.2ghz for Vista and as it's been soo long since I've built a Rig (and know nuth'n about Intel's) I need your help to ensure I'm on the right track in selecting a CPU.
Which one of these are more suited for COD4 or is there another you would suggest?

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.0 Ghz 4m CACHE 1333FSB LGA 775 = AUS$345

= AUS$340

My system below runs it on max settings with easy, not at the highest res (1280 x 1024), but as high as my vdu will allow :) so i would go wit the dualcore it owns.

I'm building a new rig for COD4 which I've read
= AUS$340

hey, I think I know you from the inCrysis forums :p
Anyways, I'd say go with the one I quoted for you above, since I've heard some good OverClocking stories about them, and they're "future proof".

while the quad might be more future proof look at the benches of UT3. the difference in FPS from 2 to 4 cores is not that big of a difference. it would be better to go with a faster dual core unless you do alot of encoding A/V to really make use of the quad.

by 3.2gh they mean the P4/PD's not the new "core 2" arch...

Jumpin Jack

I'm running COD4/Crysis/Unreal3 with my little ole Pentium D(3Ghz) @4.15 GHZ:bday: I run at 1280x1024...but I am limited by my GPU my 1900xtx is showing its age with the new games. Unreal cpu usage on both cores is at 85-90% and Crysis is at 70-80%(which is interesting I would have thought Crysis would be more cpu intensve.

But yes if you are upgrading ...go with a Quad....I cant wait until January for my new rig :drool:

Thanks guys, I appreicate your help here... I'm not going to OC this rig, but would like to future proof it a little. It's main aim in life is going to be a Gaming Rig and I can't see myself doing any editing/photo software, or encoding A/V.
I like the idea of a Quad, but the speed of it worry's me a little in it's ability to handle possible more demanding gamings yet to come out. So with some of you saying "go Quad" because of the mulit-tasking and future-proof, do you still believe I will need this in Gaming Rig?

New software will be programmed to run all 4 cores in 1 program, so yes.
Going non quad core seems bad advice to me.
Its not a case of multi tasking, and I know im repeating myself, 1 program will run all 4 cores running 4 threads of data.
The Q6600 does 3ghz on default voltage on my rig, you know it makes sense.

read this...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127

IMO your not ocing and well no a/v editing... get the E6850 3ghz pwn 2.4ghz.... even if you say you get 10fps from another 2 cores per 2.4ghz. the extra 600mhz on a dual core will yeild about the same or higher gain in fps then if you had the extra 2 slower cores.

As I'm still trying to gather all this information together... I've heard there's a new version of the Quad's with a 45nm version soon to be released... wouldn't it be a disadvantage to buy a Quad now over the new model?

^^^
It would, unless you consider that the new peryn quads are going to be fairly expensive at the outset while you can run a C2Q at 3-3.2ghz and get pretty awesome performance for quite awhile (for under 300bux). That is, assuming you're set on going quad sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, if you can get the 6850 for a decent price now then you should probably wait a bit for the new quads to come out as the C2Q's will likely drop in price (IE: the reduced price of Pentium-D's after C2D chips went to retailers) at that time.

At any rate, going by newegg's pricing (you're in Australia so not sure how the prices are there), the e6850 and Q6600 are currently the same price - $280 USD, whereas the e6750 is cheaper. If you're not going to go quad yet, just grab one of those and shoot for a 3ghz or higher overclock. It'd be cheaper than getting a quad now if you're planning to wait, and it doesn't make much sense to spend the extra ~$70 USD for the e6850 when the 6750 will give you great performance in current games, especially if you overclock.

Locally the prices are like this;
E6750, 2.66 Ghz is= AUS$242
E6850, 3.00 Ghz is= AUS$345
Q6600, 2.40 Ghz is= AUS$340

I didn't want to O/C anything in this rig as I have had bad stability and reliability issues when I tried it on my present rig (3y's ago). As this will be a Gaming Rig and trying to configure the system around the COD4 Spec's (recommend CPU of 3.2ghz for Vista), I thought the E6750 and Q6600 would be slightly under done.

But the feeling I'm getting from all of you is that OC'ing these Intel's is a breeze now... true? If so.. the cheaper option might be the wiser move and Quad later as I can't see the current/new Quad's drop to more reasonably prices for sometime yet (eg: QX6850, 3.0Ghz = AUS$1289).

Locally the prices are like this;
E6750, 2.66 Ghz is= AUS$242
E6850, 3.00 Ghz is= AUS$345
Q6600, 2.40 Ghz is= AUS$340

I didn't want to O/C anything in this rig as I have had bad stability and reliability issues when I tried it on my present rig (3y's ago). As this will be a Gaming Rig and trying to configure the system around the COD4 Spec's (recommend CPU of 3.2ghz for Vista), I thought the E6750 and Q6600 would be slightly under done.

But the feeling I'm getting from all of you is that OC'ing these Intel's is a breeze now... true? If so.. the cheaper option might be the wiser move and Quad later as I can't see the current/new Quad's drop to more reasonably prices for sometime yet (eg: QX6850, 3.0Ghz = AUS$1289).
with the right choice in parts you wont have any trouble ocing the new rig. what brand of motherboards can you get there?

With a high quality mobo, a decent air cooler (almost anything besides stock, really), and one of the G0 quads Intel overclocking is truly "point and click".

I'd personally go with the Asus P5K and the 6850, but I haven't the need for a quad in the least bit. Go with the quad though if it will make you feel better.

In the BIOS you'll have to do a few things to hit 3.2ghz. Set FSB to 400, change CPU multi to 8, set vcore so you get 1.35v under load (could be something like 1.4) and boot into Windows.

People will recommend you turn of C1E and Speedstep and you might need a notch of NB voltage for the FSB increase. Other than that make sure your PCI frequency is locked and you should be set.

Be sure to stability test using the newest Prime95 at least overnight to ensure stability.

The current generations (p965,p35, and I'd guess X38) make Intel overclocking almost too easy. No need to be hesitant anymore. :beer:

I think it's going to take a while for games to stress a Q6600. Go quad.

OK.. for this Gaming Rig, I'm going for the E6850's 3.0Ghz, that way I don't have to worry about any Clocking and later down the track I can Quad to my hearts content. It'll be slotted to a Asus P5KC.

What do you think (right or wrong move)?

What heatsink is best for the E6850's ?

I've bought the Q6600 (peer-pressure :eek:)

Thank-you for all your help and advice, it was much appreciated. :beer:

Back