• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The results of Tweaking Windows XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

Have windows XP Pro? want to save up all of the memory you are losing over using windows 2000? Then tweak the hell out of your system by configuring the services!

i know this site has been posted before:
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

however i would just like to post the results of modding my services.

NOTE: this is WITH having system restore and themes ENABLED. disabling them (ie making it nearly exactly like win2k) will free up another 30megs of ram. i enable them only cause i like em :)

BEFORE optimizations:

Attachments

• before optimization.jpg
    before optimization.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 131
AFTER OPTIMIZATIONS:

btw both of these were taken right after the computer loaded up.

Attachments

• after optimizations.jpg
    after optimizations.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 126
yes you see it right it saved 100megs of ram! (well 99megs actually :) ) This was done by using the group policy editor as well as the services configuration. (get group policy editor by doing start/run/gpedit.msc)

in the group policy editor i disabled everything that was a obvious resource hog (remote desktop, windows messenger, etc).

remember. i could have saved 130megs if i turned off themes and system restore.....

so in closing i recommend everyone with windows xp pro (will NOT work in Home so i am told) to do this.

Yea, Win XP needs to be tweaked. It's bloatware :/

If you have 256mb of ram and tweak it you'll notice a good difference.

Thats why you shouldn't use XP.;) Win 2k owns, on my 2k machine right after it starts only 48 MB of ram is used. Thats with no services tweaked.

yeah but i like all of the additional features of Win XP.... essentially if you tweak all of the services to the max you get 430megs of ram free whereas in win 2k you will get 450. Not too bad.

Emericana said:
yeah but i like all of the additional features of Win XP.... essentially if you tweak all of the services to the max you get 430megs of ram free whereas in win 2k you will get 450. Not too bad.

Yeah, but it's a pain in the arse to tweak everything, and shut off all the "wizards". I prefer to just install, update drivers, and let the system run. But to each his/her own.

now im to bord outta my skull person!! and i setup Win XP Pro on my Server Rig! for Fun!

Server Rig:
Pentium MMX 133Mhz @ 188Mhz!
128mb Ram PC100
Heavy Damaged 3Gig hard drive!
2mb Logical Graphics card!

Only crashed ever 2.2 secs! lol no it ran but MAN IT WAS SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW

the main reason i like win2k is because i like how it deals with images and videos seeing how i have a ton of both on my computer.

i also like all of the additional tools like chkdsk , the more options in gpedit.msc, and driver rollback. system restore is a cool feature too.

Back