• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is RAM so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrustyButt

123 West Awesome Ave. Blueberry, Pancakes
It seems everywhere I go online RAM is expensive. I remember I bought my 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance sticks for $50. Now they are $90 on Amazon! It's almost double in price. I suppose I could be out of the loop but does somebody know why it is so expensive. It's going to be awhile till I can upgrade to 16GB. :(

I remember when RAM was just a nickle!

Regular supply & demand explanations don't work because when demand for RAM was increasing at a furious rate, its price was dropping even faster.

remember when RAM was a$1 a mega bite, back in the 90s

when I worked for Circuit City

it all depends on supply and demand, back then the Japanese had an earth quake and it destroyed the plant so Samsung chips went way,way up

Once upon a time I could buy RAM for 10 Cents a GB at the local saloon but I had to walk uphill there and back using old Pentium P3's for snowshoes.

OK sorry bit lame, but I had to.

:)

Also we will start seeing DDR4 introduced this year as well, or at least that's what Samsung told the world.

You can actually check out the DRAMechange, it is amusing, as it is like stocks but with ram chips ;)

We can expect DDR4, as we are already in the DDR4 terroitories in speeds, I think it is >2133/2400mhz = DDR4. Just advertised as ddr3 as there is no offically made things yet to take ddr4. Check out this.

I am just hoping DDR4 will be "cheap" as supply demand spikes, when they come.

I do not see why we don't surface mount the already have'd DDR5 chips from graphics cards and put them on some ram modules :p

I'd honestly wondered why there is DDR5 RAM out there on GPU's and have always figured it was always tailored for them and wondered why there is no DDR5 RAM, guess I'm a bit ignorant along those lines.

DDR4 is likely to come with a huge price premium. Plus there are other options that people claim blow it out of the water.

Back