• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

photoshop test for your computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MSI dually
two tbred 1700's clocking at 1960 mhz each
140 fsb :edit:
512 meg unregistered
XP Pro
Just under 4.5 seconds...roughly 4.3 to 4.4.

Last edited:
MSI dually
two tbred 1700's clocking at 1960 mhz each
138 fsb
512 meg unregistered
XP Pro
Just under 4.5 seconds...roughly 4.3 to 4.4.

sweet! that's what i want to see....cuz i'm building a dual AMD right now and it will be clocked at 1950-2050...

nice system....

I should mention I quit F@H apps and other major apps. I left norton antivirus, MBM 5 and pop up stopper idling in the background when I ran the test though.
With two instances of F@H running the test came up 5 seconds flat. I imagine it's the heavy memory usage and the fact the OS has to shift resources over to photoshop that adds a half second.

Just ran another test...This software is not utilizing both cpu's....It's only running my machine to 50% during the render...I'm running photoshop 7

photoshoptest.jpg

huh, i thought photoshop was SMP enabled...i guess it is for some things...maybe 3d rendering isn't one of them?

anyway i will test my dual p3 tualatin tonight in about an hour or so...and check for dual cpu usage...

i have used photoshop and noticed my cpu usage over 80% on my dual p3...when load a lot of images for instance...

ok 6.5 seconds with

dual xp1600's (1400mhz) @ 1470mhz.
photoshop ver 7.0
512megs of ram

while running 2 instances of folding, norton, zone alram, opera, and a few other misc things.

ok 6.5 seconds with

dual xp1600's (1400mhz) @ 1470mhz.
photoshop ver 7.0
512megs of ram

while running 2 instances of folding, norton, zone alram, opera, and a few other misc things.

wow, that's impressive...but why don't you turn all that other cr@p off? :p and then see what it can do...

either way it's faster than a p3, p4, and dual g4 mac...

Well, I just tried this on my dual AMD machine (1667 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 133 FSB) and I got two different results.

In Photoshop 6.0, it took about 12 seconds. In Photoshop 7.0, it took about 5 seconds.

Is there some log or something, that I can look in to get exact numbers? I'm just counting out loud, while it is rendering.

Well, I just tried this on my dual AMD machine (1667 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 133 FSB) and I got two different results.

In Photoshop 6.0, it took about 12 seconds. In Photoshop 7.0, it took about 5 seconds.

Is there some log or something, that I can look in to get exact numbers? I'm just counting out loud, while it is rendering.

:D :D :D counting out load :D :D :D (i was just using a stopwatch)

anyway all the tests i did were on version 7 or 5...never seen 6...

your version 7 results are consistent with everyone elses...

1667mhz AMD is 0.1 sec slower than p4 [email protected]....

It took 15 seconds to render this on my dual PIII-1GHz workstation. :D Not a speed demon by today's standards but this still serves me well.

Adobe Photoshop 6
Windows 2K Pro
Dual PIII-1GHz
512MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM CAS3

My system also only went up to 50% on the usage meter but the graphs for both cpu's usage history reflected that so I think it is using both processors.

It took 15 seconds to render this on my dual PIII-1GHz workstation. :D Not a speed demon by today's standards but this still serves me well.

Adobe Photoshop 6
Windows 2K Pro
Dual PIII-1GHz
512MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM CAS3

My system also only went up to 50% on the usage meter but the graphs for both cpu's usage history reflected that so I think it is using both processors.

15 sec sounds about right (just slightly faster than a 1.5ghz p4)...

i did the test on my dual p3 tualatin 1.62 ghz and first it took the same amount of time as my single cpu 1.62 ghz tualatin celeron (7.5 secs) even with less cache and only one processor...

but you're right when i did the 3d rendering with the dual...only 50% of the processor power was used...

so i ran many more tests on photoshop trying to get more than 50% of the processor use....(since it's supposed to be SMP enabled)....and i found a few that would use 80% of the processor power (but not many things)....one of the things was resizing a 1mb file to 110mb....that used 80% of the dual processor power...

still...i was dissappointed in the number of SMP enabled and fully utilized photoshop functions...

but i was pleased to notice that i could 3d render that 110mb file (using only 50% of the processing power) for several minutes, which is how long it took, and still do many other things at the same time without crashing or slow downs...

thanks you guys for participating...it seems the dual AMD is the way to go (or at least an AMD) for photoshop stuff...must be the "linear type" math processing in photoshop, like SETI, that makes the AMD superior...

i know that INTEL at 3+ghz beats many AMD's in gaming and other benchmarks but the most important tough test my machine does is photoshop....

so a dual AMD is the way to go....

my dual p3 at 1.62 ghz took 7.5 sec....almost twice as long as a dual 2ghz AMD

If you want to do Image editing on a Dual Cpu system use Corel Photopaint. It has most of the commonly used filters smp enabled gaussian blur, unsharp mask etc.
Photopaint is nearly twice as fast as photoshop doing a gaussian blur and it uses 100% of both cpu's.
Try a smp test on a real smp app if you want to really see how fast a smp box is.
How about timing a gaussian blur and a unsharp mask on photoshop and then on Corel Photopaint on a large scan.
My Bp6 still is acceptable to use with Photopaint, I think the linux version also supports SMP.

Back