• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Sham that is Newegg's "Iron Egg Price Guarantee"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlieCS

I shop at newegg a lot, and for the most part I like them. But if you plan to buy anything from newegg and plan to take advantage of their "Iron Egg Price Guarantee", you should know this:

Today I placed an order on an item, that I knew was cheaper on Amazon, but it had an Iron Egg Guarantee on it, so I figured I'll just match it. I went to the newegg chat, explained the lower price elsewhere and provided a link, they refused to match the price, claiming that the price was below their cost. To me, that's hard to believe, considering newegg is a very large dealer, chances are they can get it as cheap as Amazon. I explained to them, that that is a very shady way to advertise a guarantee, if they can just always claim, that the price is below their cost, without anything to back that up really.

Now, a lot of time has passed since I contacted them, and they are now fully aware of the price on Amazon for that same item, which is still valid, but they are still advertising "Iron Egg Price Guarantee" for that item (they don't advertise it for every item, and they could have removed the guarantee), it is now obvious they don't intend to honor it.

To me, it seems they are trying to get their loyal customers to buy something popular, that may be significantly cheaper elsewhere, with promise of price matching, that they don't plan to honor at all.

Its in the rules...not a scam or sham at all. Sorry.

5. A Competitor's item that is advertised below Newegg's actual cost.
http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/13-2430/

Now... no idea how anyone would know their cost, but with that said, I would ask FIRST so this does not happen. I would imagine the IE guarantee is still there since there are other companies outside of Amazon out there that may offer the product cheaper than Newegg.

I was aware of the "conditions" The point is, they can claim it every single time... In that sense it is a sham. Don't plan to take advantage of it, because you are just going to waste your time, buy whatever you were going to buy elsewhere for less, and don't bother with newegg's support.

I'm not sure, what you are sorry for. Less dramatization, please.

I'm sorry it did not work out for you is why I apologized... no drama... my bad. :)

Perhaps, with that stipulation in mind, a user should ask first before making the purchase to see if it happens to be below their pricing and where they should get it. It is an extra step, but this stipulation is common for price matching as well as not knowing the actual cost they pay for the item.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
So you expect a company to bend their policy and take a loss on an item because you're a valued customer? Granted, you have to take their word for it when they say it's below their cost, but there's no reason not to believe them. I'm not saying that all CSRs are truthful, but I'm sure most are. At the end of the day, why would they lie to you about it? If it's a matter of making a sale or not, my guess is that they'd be eager to help you out in any way they can to make the sale. If you knew it was cheaper on Amazon, you should have either attempted the price matched up front or ordered on Amazon. Knowingly paying more for something because you think you'll get a refund for the difference is pretty silly, in my opinion.

That being said, I'm sure they'll offer you some sort of concession to not cancel your order.. Newegg is generally very good about that, especially since your reason for cancel is to save money. If you can't get anywhere, try a different rep or just cancel and order from Amazon.

Newegg has pricematched for me several times, both before and after the purchase.. calling their clearly stated (and reasonable) policy a sham is a little dramatic.

I'm sorry it did not work out for you is why I apologized... sheesh. :shrug:

Perhaps, with that stipulation in mind, a user should ask first before making the purchase to see if it happens to be below their pricing and where they should get it. It is an extra step, but this stipulation is common for price matching as well as not knowing the actual cost they pay for the item.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up.

It was obvious that you were not genuinely apologetic, rather using it to make your point in a very dushi way.

Especially when you ignored the part when they are now aware of lower price, but continue to advertise a price guarantee, that they will not honor. Now being fully aware of a price they cannot match, you'd think they would remove the guarantee, but they did not. Thus Sham.

So you expect a company to bend their policy and take a loss on an item because you're a valued customer? Granted, you have to take their word for it when they say it's below their cost, but there's no reason not to believe them. I'm not saying that all CSRs are truthful, but I'm sure most are. At the end of the day, why would they lie to you about it? If it's a matter of making a sale or not, my guess is that they'd be eager to help you out in any way they can to make the sale. If you knew it was cheaper on Amazon, you should have either attempted the price matched up front or ordered on Amazon. Knowingly paying more for something because you think you'll get a refund for the difference is pretty silly, in my opinion.

That being said, I'm sure they'll offer you some sort of concession to not cancel your order.. Newegg is generally very good about that, especially since your reason for cancel is to save money. If you can't get anywhere, try a different rep or just cancel and order from Amazon.

Newegg has pricematched for me several times, both before and after the purchase.. calling their clearly stated (and reasonable) policy a sham is a little dramatic.

Yes, I expect them to honor an advertisement, I'm not sure why that seems unreasonable to you. I did cancel my order.

It was obvious that you were not genuinely apologetic, rather using it to make your point in a very dushi way.

Especially when you ignored the part when they are now aware of lower price, but continue to advertise a price guarantee, that they will not honor. Now being fully aware of a price they cannot match, you'd think they would remove the guarantee, but they did not. Thus Sham.
It really wasn't... but I understand fully why you read it that way. So again, my apologies as it really was not meant that way. But if you want to call me a douche (that is the right way to spell it) after I extend the olive branch, that is all you... :rain:

I did not ignore that part and even replied with my reasoning (though it wasn't a direct response). In my post, I actually mentioned that it is left there because there are other companies that may have a lower price than NEgg and still be more than NEgg's cost. With that in mind and the 'conditions' being listed, they are right in leaving it up there (to me). Sorry for being vague there too... I can't win today, LOL!

Last edited:
I don't see it that way, they specifically list Amazon.com as their competitor. In fact it is their main competitor, the guarantee is a waste of time if they can't match Amazon.

P.S. No offense, but you not great at extending olive branches, but if that what it was, all is forgotten.

If it is in their rules, I see no reason they were in the wrong here.

Ask before buying.

It's spelled "Douchey" not "dushi"

To be perfectly honest you just sound butthurt, snapping at other users on this forum because you didn't get to circumnavigate a system that you could have avoided by ordering from Amazon in the first place.

And to say that Newegg is blatantly lying about their cost on every single product because you didn't get ONE item at Amazon price is ludicrous.

I have spent thousands of dollars at Newegg, and they have earned my business. Even when something costs $10 more than Tiger Direct or Micro Center I still buy from Newegg because they have earned my lifelong business with excellent customer service, good prices, and hassle-free RMA service when it has been necessary. I will gladly spend a few dollars here or there for return shipping, slightly more expensive items, shipping, etc. if it keeps their overall business model viable.

CharlieCS;7587933 Now being fully aware of a price they cannot match said:
I'm highly doubt that whoever you spoke with in chat has the ability to get the Iron Egg removed from the company website...You were probably the 156th person that hour to complain to him via chat. If you honestly think complaining in chat about a price problem was such a concern to him that he would contact the main company to remove something from the website and emails, then I don't know what to tell you. :bang head

So many arguments and grouchiness. He has a point. I think we can all agree with that. Yes, he should have checked first but haven't we all made mistakes like that? He is right in saying it's misleading to have the iron egg on that page.

Some retailers are better than others for that - NCIX is an example. I have never had them not approve a price match and they have to approve the price match before the order is put through. I've even matched to some pretty sketchy sites without issue.

He is right in saying it's misleading to have the iron egg on that page. I think we can all agree with that.
We do? We reading the same thread, LOL?!! I think we disagree with the 'point' is the problem. It is clearly listed in the 'conditions' (to which the OP acknowledged knowing about before making the purchase). The OP made the purchase anyway without asking first and they denied it within the 'conditions' he was already aware of and is upset about it? I would be too, but would come to the realization that it was just plum bad luck that the item I bought was below their cost (and not automatically think it was a conspiracy and then post at a forum about it).

I guess I disagree that the IEgg sign should be removed. So they can't match their main competitor on this ONE item (maybe more, but we are talking about this ONE item here in this thread), so what! There are 10's of other sites out there that they will likely match the price. So, with it being listed in the rules and I would imagine most other pricing to be accepted, why would they take it down when it holds true for a ton of other places they will match? The assertion that they "don't plan to honor this [program] at all" from the first post is sensationalism in the first place.

Perhaps if it was worded different the underlying point may be accepted with open arms instead of a generally cold shoulder? Something like, 'hey guys, just be careful when you use the IEgg guar. because on this item they did not price match as it was below their cost. They will not price match anything if it is below their cost so ask first to make sure'.

...And to say that Newegg is blatantly lying about their cost on every single product because you didn't get ONE item at Amazon price is ludicrous.
+1

Last edited:
There really was never a problem here... just a misunderstanding. Its been over, for a while now, in fact...

I am just talking about the thread contents and trying not to be a 'douche'. :)

ED I doubt anybody here (well maybe OP who really appears to be one in this thread) thinks ur a douche for all the help ya give here. I was just chiming in my 2cents lol

There really was never a problem here... just a misunderstanding. Its been over, for a while now, in fact...

I am just talking about the thread contents and trying not to be a 'douche'. :)

You are SUCH a dush...

It's called truth in advertizing and it is a law most every place in the US. When you see a blatant guarantee (in this case a blatant lie) without conditions to that guarantee, you can choose to believe what is being said, or not believe it. This is the reason for truth in advertising laws. There shouldn't be any excuse to not believe what is being told to you, to sell something. When it is advertized, that laws demand truthfulness.

Everyone sees the billion words disclaimers you can't read on the bottom of most TV commercials, this is there because it becomes part to the ad and the ad guarantees expressed in the spoken word during the ad. The legality of advertizing forces advertisers to state in no uncertain terms, with ISN'T a part to what is being offered. The gray area comes in how easy it is to find out what ISN'T part to what is being offered.

In NewEgg.com's case, you only have to click on the "Iron Egg Price Guarantee" to see what the conditions are. It is spelled out for you. Now everyone would most likely see this and say "Wow, I'm protected". Because NewEgg chose to give this second guarantee to how they protect you, you have actually done what most people would deem "due diligence" in establishing what NewEgg is selling, along with the actual product. Since the written conditions are evident at that point to most people, in a legal since, this IS NewEgg's binding contract with it's customers.

This will no doubt be challenged in court at some point, maybe already is. But it is and unfair trade practice without any doubt.

Best to file a complaint with the FTC stating false advertizing. If enough folks do this, NewEgg may actually be prosecuted, convicted and fined by the FTC and our courts.

I have used NewEgg since they first started. My computer company use to use them all the time as a secondary source. No longer in the computer business, in the past 10-12 years or so, I have used them as my most primary source. I like NewEgg and feel they are some of the most fair sources for products I use ALOT. But, they have their share of goobers in the decision making process, as evidenced by the bogas "New Egg Iron Guarantee".

-Rodger

Click, and it spells it out for you. Simple. This is not a violation of anything. If what I think you are saying is true, than Best Buy does the same thing as their policy is to price match as well, but they didn't price match a sales price from their competitor. That is a condition/stipulation found in their TOS right? Why are we not seeing this be huge problem since nearly every single promotion like this has stipulations/rules with them? Why am I not angry... because I called and asked before I made the purchase. I wouldn't have made the call if I read their exclusions though as it is listed there.

If you buy an item on www.newegg.com advertised with the Iron Egg℠ Guarantee badge from November 1, 2013 through December 24, 2013 (Guarantee Period), and find a lower advertised price on the same item (of identical brand and model number) within 14 days of the purchase date, Newegg will match that price subject to verification and the terms below.

....5. A Competitor's item that is advertised below Newegg's actual cost.

Do not misunderstand me, I do see what you are trying to get at, but there are blatently obvious rules and conditions to all offers like this BECAUSE of the Truth in Lending Act. Newegg is absolved IMO as it stipulates 'anything below cost' and I bet with newegg's buying power that this situation is likely quite rare.

Like I said before, I fully believe this is simply bad luck.

Last edited:
What your are saying is exactly the point. A statement made in broad strokes for all to see, should in fact take precedence over conditions that are often no place to be seen, and sometimes just as hard to find. When NewEgg choses to provide a drop-down further intensifying their ability and promise to match prices, they expressly did so to forgo any further "caveat emptor" on the part of the buyer. Trickery for sure, and not something that speaks well for any business or business practice.

These are the reasons people sue. They are led to believe there isn't any reason for concern, only to find they were taken in by tricksters. It upsets people when this happens.

I have owned a number of business over the years. I have made millions. I have spent most, saved some. What I have not done however is cheat, trick, or otherwise not deliver what I have promised -- Ever. I do not feel I am alone in this way of thinking and I certainly do not feel I am wrong in it either. Those who do, those who support others who feel it's OK, it's just business as usual, are the ones who are wrong here. Life will end for each of us at some point, and I for one want to go out with a clear conscience about how I lived it. I would think most will feel that way at some point along the way. Just hope it's not a false hope or one acted upon to late to make good.

Enough said far as I am concerned.

-Rodger

Back