• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why you can't trust all reviews online

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

Digging through reviews while evaluating which board to purchase I come across this gem.
This guy criticizes MSI because supposedly their products are inferior, when in actuality he was attempting to install a 3570k into this haswell board, and was putting his RAM in backwards. It just goes to show that you can't buy too much into the negative reviews on a product (even if they're a tech level 4!) at any vendor. Kudos to MSI for not posting their generic "Please contact us" response and for calling this guy out. :clap::clap:

Tech Level 4 guy! said:
Never trusting MSI again
Pros: very nice looking, and high quality

Cons: The RAM slots where bent on arrival, and when I called MSI's tech support, they told me to send them pics, so I did, and was imidiatly told that the RAM slots only use DDR3, and therefore must have bent because I was putting the wrong kind of RAM in, so i guess 32 GB of G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 is not considered DDR3 RAM cards.

Other Thoughts: I am done with MSI and will be returning tomorrow, never buying another motherboard that is not ASUS or GIGABYTE

Manufacturer Response: said:
Dear Valued Customer,

You wrote us an email stating the issues that you had with this motherboard.
"as the picture shows, my Intel Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz) Processor does not fit, as the second picture shows, my DDR3 Ram card does not fit either. this is not my first MSI motherboard, and I know the quality is usually rather good, and this is a high surprise to me"

You tried to install an i5-3570K processor into the Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard.
i5-3570K is LGA1155 and motherboard is LGA1150 therefore they are not compatible.

You've also tried to install memory the wrong way, here are the pictures that you've provided to us.

If you have any questions, please kindly get in touch with our tech support team directly at 626.271.1004 for assistance during regular business hours from M to F, 6am to 6pm Pacific Time, or you can email us at [email protected].
When contacting us, please kindly include your product info, thank you.

Best Regards,
MSI Review Team | [email protected]

Lol no kidding. It's funny how the pros are listed as high quality; Yet he goes on to say that the RAM slots were bent. Always go to the professional review sites when researching your products.

I love the comeback from MSI. I'm glad to see they aren't just taking it on the chin. I have been researching some parts on Newegg lately and have come across a bunch of these type. Usually taking off eggs for something stupid like they ordered the wrong color or something like this guy. At least they are good for a nice laugh.

I find motherboard reviews to be particularly bad, where users end up blaming the board for a problem caused by something like bad installation, another part being defective, or part incompatibility. Then they just assume the board is a dud. More than once I've thought I've gotten a bad board, only to realize it was something as simple as the connector for the power button wasn't pressed down all the way. I can see someone doing that, get too pissed to think, rip it out, RMA it, and start slamming it on any review site they can.

Last edited:
We have a gigantic thread about the lol that are newegg reviews... This fits there perfect! Newegg now sends hardware out to anyone and their mother to review products as well... Not qualified people, just anyone (thread here on that as well, also funny to see people reviewing hardware that have no clue how to review it. I don't blame them for taking it and doing so, just lol at Newegg that they do that.

poor *******...kinda feel sorry for him but he's rather dumb for making that review in the first place before taking the time to realize that he's a noob.

We have a gigantic thread about the lol that are newegg reviews... This fits there perfect! Newegg now sends hardware out to anyone and their mother to review products as well... Not qualified people, just anyone (thread here on that as well, also funny to see people reviewing hardware that have no clue how to review it. I don't blame them for taking it and doing so, just lol at Newegg that they do that.

link to thread.

The best ones are the reviews that come out prior to a release.

Thats freaking awesome haha. I always hate when companies "Eat" crap like this, good to see msi actually gives a crap about their reputation and products.

I have purchased more than one motherboards that had "low ratings" meaning 2-3 eggs. In each instance I never had any issues with any of the boards. Last one was an AMD board that I bought to run a Phenom II CPU, The board was advertised that it would support FX line of CPU's. However everyone missed that it would need a bios flash and everyone gave it crappy reviews as it wasn't FX ready and they did not have a spare CPU to flash the board so it got bad reviews. Worked great for me as it was down to 75 dollars and I just needed a quick board for a simple build :thup:

Newegg ratings mean nothing outside of DOAs...most people that rate things there have NO CLUE. None.

I agree. Ratings are worthless. Except to get a feel for quality control. (Many times products are given postive reviews and there will be comments. Missing XXXXXX or this feature did not function but I don't use it anyway.)

I really love this.

"Just upgraded to a 4770K and Z88OMFG edition motherboard GTX 640 with 64GB of 2688 mhz RAM and 128GB SSD. IT is SO much faster than my Athlon64 4400 set, Intel rocks!"

Or conversely insert high end AMD parts and claim it is faster than their old P4 or c2d.

Well duh...

Back