• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA1366 viability as an upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I am currently looking into upgrading my PC to something a bit newer since I've noticed my PC getting slower and it occasionally crashes when I'm gaming. I've currently got a C2Q Q6600 SLACR running at 3.1GHz (board limited) with 8GB's of memory and a GTX 460 for graphics. I've been running this PC for almost four years now (and it was used for two or three years by the previous owner before me), but at this point I've upgraded it to it's limits with this hardware. Sure, I could get another year or two out of the old girl if I swap the motherboard for something better, but it wouldn't really give me much more performance (aside from what I can gain with a higher overclock).

The platform I am currently looking at is LGA1366, mainly because some of the Core i7 processors can be had for a fairly low amount of money ($40-80 on ebay usually). Luckily, with prices of pretty much everything tech-related going down over the last year or two these have now become an affordable option for me. One other reason I'm looking at LGA1366 is because I already have a working board and a 6GB Tri-channel memory kit. I can probably upgrade to a better board if necessary. Board is an Asus P6T SE.

LGA1150 is well outside of my budget since it's so new, as is LGA2011, which is why I'm not looking at them. Unless I just get an absolutely stellar deal on a board and CPU, it's just not going to happen with those sockets for at least another two or three years.

I looked into LGA1155 as well, but while some of the boards were affordable the processors were well outside of my budget. I was looking at getting something like an i5 2500K ($130-200+) or i7 2600K ($140-300+), but they're still going for much more than I'm willing (or able) to shell out money for.

I was hoping to find something like an i7 920 D0 (SLBEJ), 930, 950, or 960 on the used market so that I could get one step closer to upgrading to something newer.

So, my question I guess is what is everyone's opinion on LGA1366 remaining viable as a computing platform for say the next 3-4 years for a 24/7 daily use system? I say 3-4 years because I estimate it might be at least another 1-2 years, maybe three, before I can afford to build a modern system in whatever is the current socket type at that time (or maybe one generation behind).

Alternatively, I could build an AM3 system with a Phenom II X4 965 BE, but from what I've seen in benchmarks the performance would be lower than an i7 920.

My i7 920 is still tearing it up at 4.2ghz. If I had a deathwish I could push it to 4.4-4.5 ghz but I don't think it is worth it.

Gaming and hardcore computation aside, the 1366 platform should work for 3-4 more years I would think. I have mine paired with a 7970 at the moment and it powers my 27" just fine.

But if I were to spend money all over again I would hang on to what I have and pinch pennies/look for steals on some newer tech. Mainly for native USB 3.0, SATA III, and other chipset specific features.

EDIT: Wow close to home. I work in Springfield...

If your motherboard supposrts xeons there was a thread floating around a couple months ago with hex core 1366 xeons for around the 80 dollar mark. That would be a very viable computer, even today. The proc was an L5639 but it looks like demand has pushed them back up to $125. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

1366 boards are hard to come by. If you have one, it's like gold. 920's can be found for $50.

I have no need to upgrade from 1366 just yet :salute:

Find a Gulftown or Westmere chip for a good price and you're laughing.

I was thinking about upgrading myself and selling my i7 950 and Rampage III Formula.
Just have no idea what I should ask for the combo.

Any ideas?

Can also think about 1156 i5 750 or any i7. Should be easier to OC and cheaper.

The L5639 are still available for $80 on ebay.

I'm tempted to drop one in place of my 920 but I'll lose 200-400mhz so single threaded performance will suffer.

Dollar for dollar you can't get better than that.

If your motherboard supposrts xeons there was a thread floating around a couple months ago with hex core 1366 xeons for around the 80 dollar mark. That would be a very viable computer, even today. The proc was an L5639 but it looks like demand has pushed them back up to $125. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

By a strange coincidence I actually ran across that thread the day before you made your post here.

This one?

I've been slowly reading it and I'm to page 22 now.

For 1366 I wouldn't even consider running a quad, unless I had to.. There are some good deals on Gulftown's and Westmere's if you dig a bit

The L5639 are still available for $80 on ebay.

I'm tempted to drop one in place of my 920 but I'll lose 200-400mhz so single threaded performance will suffer.

Dollar for dollar you can't get better than that.
They are pretty nice if you have a board that can run one ATM.

But most have went up to about 120 less they've dropped again.

Takes a bit of playing with and mines not that old, had it up to 3.91 the last nite but wasn't really too stable.

Of course all the things I have loaded on the side here at ATM was impressed it could even boot that.

My Ole 920 D0 over here gathering dust atm, but considering whats laying around with him he'll find a new home real soon.

I have future plans for him.

I'd personally like two L5639's on a EVGA Classified SR-2, but doubt Ill get that ambitious these days, have upgraded things enough lately :)

Now if only it could make moon shine in the process :p

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

Last edited:
Back