• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FluidXP got response

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
johan851 said:
Yeah, it's called direct-die cooling. Already been done, but it has quite a few negative effects. Quick CPU death being one of them...the die tends to soak up water, for some reason.

I think that's quite expensive for an additive myself. Also, as Diggr said, where's the fun if there's no risk? :D

That could be solved with coating the die in silver...

If anyone would like a copy of the test results and the first two pages of the MSDS for FluidXP from SF Analytical write me at [email protected] and I will reply copies of the results to you.
mklt

Fluid XP

Fluid XP is for the individual who wants to put the coolinig fluid in and forget it for a year or so. It's not for the guy who keeps changing out his/her fluid trying new water blocks and the like.

quicksilverXP said:
Wow. Thanks alot for the info mklt. I live in Irvine and the product is in Riverside CA so I can just pick it up. However, it seems the best value is the gallon for 100 dollars, although quite expensive. I think I'll just go ahead and purchase the gallon, and the help some people out in classifieds at other forums by not having to spend such a big amount. (since I can't post here cuz I don't have a hundred posts).

in case anyone didn't know, Dtek have dropped their price to $24.99 for 32floz ... and are still doing 10% off orders of $100+...
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139

satanskin

SatanSkin said:
How much does the electrical conductivity increase by adding the 2 cups or 30% of distilled water?

Electrical conductivity will not increase that much at all depending on the quality of the distilled water. What will happen is the other benefits of the other ingredients will be diluted. For instance, the 1-dodeconol is added to produce a pseudo-plastic layer on top of the fluid in the reservoir and other fluid/air interfaces to minimize evaporation and minimizing the Deionized water in the fluid from gaining ions thus increasing ionization, thus increasing electrical conductivity. There might be enough excess 1-dodeconol to still allow this covering but I'm not sure about that.

That's your call.

regards,
mklt

how does the layer prevent ionization unless it coats every surface in the loop? The blocks themselves will produce ionization - it's been shown that loops that use deionized water for a long time end up with pitted blocks, because the block is releasing ions into the water.

1-Dodeconol

BlueMan said:
how does the layer prevent ionization unless it coats every surface in the loop? The blocks themselves will produce ionization - it's been shown that loops that use deionized water for a long time end up with pitted blocks, because the block is releasing ions into the water.

The operative words are "Long Time". Annealed copper takes over two years to show any substantial pitting. Just using deionized water for that long will allow for growth of some pretty nasty stuff not to mention ionization from the air, evaporation and growth of fungus etc. The 1-dodeconol will coat all aspects of the loop. I have removed water blocks and found a white film consistant with 1-dodeconol so some is in the fluid and coating parts as it moves thru the system. How much and if it will keep parts from pitting I couldn't say. If it is being circulated thou most likely it is settling into pits and scratches.

Regards,
Mike

I can see how it would form a layer at a fluid-air interface, but the metal.... Does the non polar end of the 1-dodeconol wet metal parts better than water?

Back