• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
alright, will a 431 watt emermax psu be more than enough for a 1.33 tbird with the ability to overclock at will, two 80mm fans, 1 92mm, one 60mm fan, dvd drive, cdrw, and gf3??? and if not enough, what do i need

That most certainly will be enough for you. I run that much with plus a USB PCI card, an ATI TV Tuner card, and a Swiftech MC462 hsf with just a quality 300PSU.

You'll be fine but the 430W definitely won't hurt.

i run a 300watt antec also, seems fine to me, but i can oc very well, if you want you should get the biggest psu you can afford, seeing so you wont ever have to upgarde it till it fails..

Bigger isn't always better. If you do any sort of overclocking be very concerned about the 5v rail voltage. The enermax 431 is a good psu but has a low 5v rail unless you do some serious mods to it. I highly reccomend an Antec 350 or 400. My Antec PP-412x 400 wat has a strong 5v rail and potentiometers under the hood so you can tweak the voltage. I had to tweak the pots in order for my motherboard to work at any core voltage above 1.97v. Once I adjusted the 5v rail I was able to get the core up to 2.25.

I don't think I would do the upgrade from the KT7A-RAID to a KA266. The only thing better on the KA266 is ddr ram support. I have been gone for a while so I don't know waht the best motherboard choice would be but something like the Epox 8K78 wold be a great choice. It uses ddr ram, supports core voltage up to 2.25, vio up to 3.7 and it works great at hight FSB speeds. Some have been able to get this board to a 200mhz fsb (400 ddr), I'm running mine at 157 right now (314 ddr) wtih no problems. I can boot at a fsb of 195 but my HD doesn't like anything over 166.

Bender said:
Bigger isn't always better. If you do any sort of overclocking be very concerned about the 5v rail voltage. The enermax 431 is a good psu but has a low 5v rail unless you do some serious mods to it. I highly reccomend an Antec 350 or 400. My Antec PP-412x 400 wat has a strong 5v rail and potentiometers under the hood so you can tweak the voltage. I had to tweak the pots in order for my motherboard to work at any core voltage above 1.97v. Once I adjusted the 5v rail I was able to get the core up to 2.25.

ok
to this i went to the enermax website and the antec website, and it seems that the 431 watt enermax has better 5v rails then the antec 400 watter you can check it out if you want....
www.enermax.com.tw
www.antec-inc.com

My 550w enermax keeps the +5vdc leg above 5.10 all the time, even when the TEC isn't on the +12, which will raise the +5 some more usually. Right now I've got +5.12v and +12.25v on my digidoc display.

Back