• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Wifi Adapters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

So yesterday I went to best buy to get a pci wifi adapter to replace my current usb one and the guy in best buy said that they don't make them anymore. I was pretty shocked and thought maybe he meant to say they don't carry them anymore. I'm not sure though because he said it more then once like if he wqas positive. I tried looking it up online I didn't get anywhere, but I did realize most companies are promoting there usb adapters a lot more then the pci cards. So was that guy correct?

I assume PCI components will be eventually phased out as it becomes older, my board doesn't even have a PCI slot! PCI-e x1 adapters are beginning to replace the PCI ones - although I still see several PCI ones available on a UK online store.

I believe my board has both. Are they dying out though?

I believe my board has both. Are they dying out though?

What motherboard? I know its AM3+, but you don't have it listed in your sig.

Yes, PCI is very much being phased out. PCIe has been the new standard for quite a while.

You do have the old PCI slot, but you have plenty of PCIe slots to use.
The PCIe gear will be faster typically, as well as being compatible for longer.

I did put my GPU in there I remember it took 2 slots. Was it PCi-E or PCI?

I did put my GPU in there I remember it took 2 slots. Was it PCi-E or PCI?

The 7970 is most definitely PCIe

The Wifi adapter would take a PCIe x1 slot, which are the little slots.
It could go directly above the GPU.

Oh ok I understand I forgot the small ones. The big ones are the x16 correct?

Oh ok thank you, last question. Do you know where i can get one like a store that might have them instead of buying online?

Try to get one with a Qualcomm (Atheros) or Intel chipset. Broadcom chipsets are often buggy.

You can also consider getting another wireless router that can run DD-WRT/OpenWRT, set it to client mode, and plug it into the LAN port.

I linked that one to you because you could go buy it in-store, per post #12

If you're buying online there's better cards.

Back