• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new motherboard maybe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
I'm looking at buying the new Intel 4790k cpu and was wondering if I should upgrade my motherboard as well. I currently have the Asus z87 sabertooth. Thank you for you time and advice.

If none of the Z97 boards have features you want/need then I see no reason to change boards.

Well I don't want to lose any performance and if the Z97 is better or will last through a few upgrades then I don't mind spending the money. I've read several articles where people are saying the Z87 will not work as well as the Z97. Just trying to make sure everything is compatible.

There's no performance losses that I'm aware of.

Just update your BIOS before popping in the new CPU, there's a release to cover the new Haswell Refresh and Devil's Canyon for your motherboard.

the only other upgrade i can see in your sig would be faster memory, but only if you bench.

Not sure I understand why you would be upgrading from a 4770K

the only two reasons I can come up with is

1. you got a crappy chip and are buying another lottery ticket

2. You do not overclock and want the clock speed advantage

Every 4770K should run at 4GHz without voltage changes so I see no point in "upgrading" to 4790K. Board also won't change anything. If you decide to get 4790K then all you need is newer BIOS and it will run as good as Z97. Some boards don't even need BIOS update to run without issues.
I would invest that money in something else.

Not sure I understand why you would be upgrading from a 4770K

the only two reasons I can come up with is

1. you got a crappy chip and are buying another lottery ticket

2. You do not overclock and want the clock speed advantage

Well I don't overclock so yes I want to take advantage of the fastest clock speed I can get .

Not even a little?

Its like buying Ferrari and driving it at like 30 mph. At least drive it at the speed limit :attn:

Every 4770K should run at 4GHz without voltage changes so I see no point in "upgrading" to 4790K. Board also won't change anything. If you decide to get 4790K then all you need is newer BIOS and it will run as good as Z97. Some boards don't even need BIOS update to run without issues.

What these guys are sying is right, you have a great board and CPU already all you need to do is up the multi in bios and you're all set. Have a look through this thread for some guidance. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732646 Maybe take some of that cash that's burning a hole in your pocket and get a good CPU cooler and you'll be all set, most likely could get you close to 4.5

Not only that, but the chip will probably run that speed by undervolting the stock voltage too.

Back