• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System will not boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

busterbvi

Registered
Greetings. Looking for some help with a suspect MOBO thats doing my head in.
Replaced a suspect PSU with a brand new Corsair HX 750 and the system powers up OK but no happy beep or video. The MOBO will not get past "FF" on the diagnostic display so does not boot into the OS. RAM is new and currently running on 2 x 2 GB for dual channel. Swapped out the GPU for a good spare, got rid of the sound card and only the SSD boot drive is connected. Problem persists. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Buster.

Have you tried the board out of the case. FF is quite commonly a short or bad PSU.
It might help to have a bit more detail on your parts. The only thing I know you have at this point is a corsair HX 750, other than that it's just parts??

What was the issue that made you replace the PSU in the first place and if you still have the old one have you tried using that?

OK, The PSU was replaced because of this problem. I bought a PSU tester from Amazon, plugged it in and the -5v LED did not light up. According to the useless instructions, a healthy PSU should show all LED'S lit up. That was a CM Silent Pro 1250W which has now been replaced. BUT !!! the new PSU showed the same thing when tested !? Suspicious of the tester, I soldiered on and reassembled everything but it will not boot to the OS.

Last edited:
When you say powers up OK does it go through it's post and then the ff code comes up? Or is it registering FF right from the get go. I found some info on that particular board which says that if it finishes post then FF means fully functional and it's an add in if it comes up right away then the board is most likely shot.

Let me try it again tonight to see if it goes through POST or if FF is there from the start, will update thread tomorrow.

Johan45, can you point me to that MOBO info you found ?

Thanks guys.

FF I thought was "fully functional"..... but only when it goes through the complete post as you said Johan. Its been so long since I had that chipset (I had 780i.. the only difference was 790i is ddr3 iirc).

Had another fiddle last night and I can now confirm that it goes straight to FF at switch on, no POST cycle, no happy beep, no video signal. Looks like the next step is to give the MOBO the ole heave ho and check it out. All add ons were disconnected.

Will go with Asus for a replacement, looking at the Sabertooth Z87 and the Maximus IV Extreme with a new 4770k, reviews look very good indeed on these boards, any recommendations ?

PS. Anyone wanna buy a perfectly good CM Silent Pro 1250 W PSU !!?

Though the Sabertooth (overpriced for what it is) and MIVE (made for extreme overclocking - paying for features you will not use) are good boards, its not something you really need on this platform.

MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming for $190 or its little brother, GD45 for $160. Plenty of other brands in that $150 price range as well. With modern Intel CPUs you do not need such robust and expensive motherboards.

MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming for $190 or its little brother, GD45 for $160. Plenty of other brands in that $150 price range as well. With modern Intel CPUs you do not need such robust and expensive motherboards.
Agreed! Unless you're looking to overclock the wee out of the chip, ie going DICE/LN2, you really don't need a really expensive board.

I did more MOBO research today and I tend to agree, I don't intend to OC the CPU at all so I think the Asus Maximus Hero or the Formula will be just fine. The Asus Z87 Expert looks nice too !

If you are not overclocking, I wouldn't get any of those boards either...

An MSI Z87 G43 Gaming is plenty and saved you almost $70... you can also overclock this if you ever want to...(same with below board and most all Z87 based boards).

or

Giga Z87 HD3...

Thanks for the tips. Going with an Asus board this time, had loads of Asus products over the years that have all been solid and reliable, never tried their boards. I may change my mind on overclocking so its nice to have that option, my budget is around $200 for a new board so the Hero is looking favorite but I will read the reviews on those MSI and Giga Z87 boards. I've also enjoyed great service and good products from EVGA so the Z87 FTW is another option.

What I really need right now is a good used 790i Ultra to keep me going until I can afford a full upgrade to the Z87 platform. Nothing at Amazon or Ebay, any ideas ?

Back