• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your old / "vintage" OC gears here !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bing.. If you still have this heatsink, me wants it! hehe

attachment.php

I had that one when it first came out.. Modified it many times to fit other stuff in the past so i cant use it for Slot 1 CPUs anymore.. still have the original fans for it though :).

Bing.. If you still have this heatsink, me wants it! hehe

I had that one when it first came out.. Modified it many times to fit other stuff in the past so i cant use it for Slot 1 CPUs anymore.. still have the original fans for it though :).

That thing is now in my OC-ing gears collector items, even if I let it go, it will cost you pretty pennies, nah .. forget bout it ! :D

Why don't you take a shot and post it here if you still have it.

ergh.. not enough pics in this thread...

spherek6iii_131.jpg

K6-III+ @ 616mhz. Does that count? And yes it does run... if I put a power supply back into it :chair:

And reconnect the CD burner...

added: Is it bad form to necropost after a site founder?:sn:

Looks like an AT board in that if I'm not mistaken, from where the CPU is...

I like this thread!

For once I can contribute back to this forum lol. Heres a couple of Slot 1/2 boards I once O/Ced with. Back then, I'd have killed for the Slot sinks you guys have been posting. At one point, I had a custom made sink on a 933, but alas, no pictures.. Heres what I still have(still working condition :) )

ALR 80386 setup. First computer, last time I store bought(1992):

Whopping 4MB of RAM
alrram.jpg

Bid dady 25MHz Intel CPU
alrcpu.jpg

Two Slot boards that I loved.. First is a Gigabyte GA-6BXC w/ 128MB RAM and a S3 AGP card. The 350/100MHz cpu ran at 500MHz for atleast 3 years on the stock cooling. The second is another great board. ASUS P2B. I didn't get to play much with it, as I had procured a Socket A setup that took my attention..

GA-6BXC
350.jpg

ASUS
asus.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoy this as much as I do. I've been looking into telnetting a BBS, but its got me lost..

My very first OC was with a Pentium Pro in a Compaq DeskPro 6000e or something like that.

it was a 200mhz with 1mb L2 Cache... which I paid $7 for at geeks.com.

Got hot like a stove and the heatsink that I had for it DID NOT have a fan. but I had it run while playing Diablo 2, which barely ran because PPro did not come with MMX, which what D2 required lol. that PC also had 128mb of RAM, and a 32mb TNT2 PCI card and the old Sound Blaster 16 ISA card that was nearly 12 inches long lol.

This was before I got a job and bought an Athlon 2500+ w/ nForce2 chipset board, etc... the rest is history.

I was digging around and found the first system I overclocked. AMD Athlon 1.4 @ 1.6 (This was a massive overclock at the time)

Notice the additional HS on the GF2 ! lol

sideoff1.jpg

wincpuid.jpg

I did have boxes of really old stuff but I binned the lot (Pentium Pro, P75)

For CPU I ever pushed was in may of 2000, it was a celly 400 on a Tyan Trinity 400. My greatest oc was my 1.1t-bird pushed to 1620 with air. Later got a Swiftech MCW462-UT 226w Pelt and a meanwell s-320. Well lets just say the cooler wasn't fully touching the cpu and it went poof.

Here's a small collection from the box under my desk from previous overclock experiments.
CPU's ranging from an AMD 286/10, 486DX2 66, Pentium 60-233mhz, AMD K6 200-500mhz, Cyrix 686 120+, S.478 P4 1.6-2.66ghz, Athlon 64/Phenom II, s775 p4 630 + e6320, Sun UltraSPARC IIi 550mhz.

RAM: Everything from 72 pin SIMMS EDO/Fast Page/ECC, SD-RAM DIMMS, DDR-DIMMS, SGI proprietary DIMMS.

There's piles of motherboards in the back room for all the chips, and a few Athlon T-bird/XP combos still working, with some Slot/Socket P3 setups still working if installed in cases. Not going to picture the other boxes of heatsinks and video cards.

The best heatsink mounting setup I remember working was the Digital Alpha's with the heatsink bolted to the cpu alongside the clip for the socket. Those never overclocked all that well though without changing the clock crystal on the mb.

Attachments

• overclocked.jpg
    overclocked.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 763
I NEED Slot A stuff!

Hi all - I have a lot of older gear, but I am missing/needing at least two GFDs (Golden Finger Devices) for slot A AMD cpus. I have been wanting to do this for years, but now there is no source for them that I can find! It seems like 2 years (hell, maybe it was 8 years!) ago when I searched they were everywhere, but not now.

I know this is way old stuff, but I've still got a perfect Compaq PC, and a perfect big-name motherboard, and all the needed parts that I can use for backup units and such.

So can you guys help me out? I am willing to pay for shipping, plus a little if you want. This is obviously a budget operation.

PS - Hope this isn't in the wrong forum - I didn't know where else to put it.

Thanks.

arby55
South Bend, IN

There's a local computer and electronics thrift store here that has a bunch of those round made in india heatsinks, they're heavy!

There's a local computer and electronics thrift store here that has a bunch of those round made in india heatsinks, they're heavy!

Cause that Agilent Articooler heatsink was milled from a big solid aluminium rod. Quite impressive piece of work I'd say.

Was searching for some tools in my closet, found some old OC gears in the shoe box here that is long forgotten.

Really, suddenly I feel very old now ! :(

Share your old OC gears snapshot here too ! I believe many of you still have more exotic stuffs there ! So please ! :D

Guess some of you might recognize some of this stuff don't you ? :)
View attachment 56883

Proof that this aint old pic shot, latest LGA775 Intel Stock HSF at upper left corner.
View attachment 56884

My favorite from it's golden era !
View attachment 56885

Details from above PAL6035, just love those tight hexagonal fins ! Was state of the art at it's time !
View attachment 56886

Another favorites from slot era ! Copper seamless join with the aluminium ! I believe some of the youngster never seen slot cpu before ! :D
View attachment 56887

I bet that slot one is for an PII i got a chance to see one for the first a few weeks back I said whats this? as i held up a huge heavy giant ink cartridge looking black thing my friend replied thats an pentium II i said REALLY its huge! the ones we have today are hardly bigger than a silver dollar lol

I bet that slot one is for an PII i got a chance to see one for the first a few weeks back I said whats this? as i held up a huge heavy giant ink cartridge looking black thing my friend replied thats an pentium II i said REALLY its huge! the ones we have today are hardly bigger than a silver dollar lol

The built is really high quality and made from huge chunk of solid aluminium block for the base, and the fins are actually inserted into it using ultrasonic welding technique if I'm not mistaken. The best part is the base copper & alu join, a truly awesome piece of work.

It was made in Japan, when it comes to the metal finishing, the current Taiwan or China made top high end heatsinks simple can't beat it.

Last edited:
My very first OC was with a Pentium Pro in a Compaq DeskPro 6000e or something like that.

it was a 200mhz with 1mb L2 Cache... which I paid $7 for at geeks.com.

Got hot like a stove and the heatsink that I had for it DID NOT have a fan. but I had it run while playing Diablo 2, which barely ran because PPro did not come with MMX, which what D2 required lol. that PC also had 128mb of RAM, and a 32mb TNT2 PCI card and the old Sound Blaster 16 ISA card that was nearly 12 inches long lol.

This was before I got a job and bought an Athlon 2500+ w/ nForce2 chipset board, etc... the rest is history.

The 200 PRO was one of the baddest boys on the block around 1995 or so. I had one and it cost around 5000 bucks for the whole system from Gateway.

I've got some good stuff at home. I think I may have gotten rid of my T-bird 1ghz that oc'd to 1.5. That was an awesome chip back in the day. I still have my asus a7n8x- deluxe and 1700+. Still works. I also have a celly a something and my cusl2 socket 370 with my alpha cooler. I'll grab some pics when I get home.

Ahhh the memories. This forum made them all possible.

This thread brings back some memories. :)

Although not as old as some of the other parts posted, this was my first overclocked CPU. I wish I could remember how fast I got it up to.

DSC_3348.jpg

2423079t.jpg

Used my scanner to make that image, I don't have a camera.
Markings on the CPU:
95171776AD
MALAY
GH 525
Intel (R) (C) 89 93
i66

Interesting to see some of this old stuff, how many of you still use it today/still in use?

My old rig still in use today(as a server) is a:

AMD Athlon XP2400 w/ a Thermalright SLK900A HS w/ Vantec Tornado fan **LOUD**
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
512mb RAM updated to 1.5gb
XFX GeForce Ti4200
120GB Seagate
160GB WD
60gb Maxtor
40GB Hitachi
430w Thermaltake PSU(new) old one finally took a ****

Back