• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media server wireless streaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

Ive decided to set up a server in my office and stream wirelessly to my tvs. What is the best way to set this up? Something like a Roku box? Or are these just for streaming netflix and online crap. Doesnt necessarily need to be online. More interested in just being able to access crap on my computers wirelessly.

I use whs2011 with htpcs connected to all the tvs. Haven't researched the roku but iirc it works for what you're trying to do. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

oh so youve got systems attached to everything. Im looking for something a little easier than an ACTUAL server. I guess what I meant is this: i have all of my movies, tv shows, music, etc on a laptop/external drive. Is there something like a a roku box that will let me access those files (without building seperate HTPCs)? Im not really interested in the streaming services though. Are my only 3 options to a) actually build a server and connect HTPCs to everything, b) buy a Roku and upgrade it with Plex, and c) WD TV Live Streaming Media Player?

I plan on ordering a WDTV Live box myself. After doing research, it seems to be the best device to play from network shares. Its easier than my ATV2, and cheaper than buying a second used ATV2 and jailbreaking it. Seems to play everything, and ebay has refurb ones for 60 bucks.

The WDTV Live Box looks pretty interesting for what I have setup up, would this stream wireless to a TV in another room with that little Chrome device they are selling cheap now to a remote TV from your main PC ?

I'll have to read more into this one, I'm a bit of a WD fanboy from years back and if it would work right with that I could stream things to the bedroom TV wireless that way without a phone I guess, I'm not a smart phone user, I try to avoid phones in my life actually.

This looks pretty interesting for what I have setup up would this stream wireless to a TV in another room with that little Chrome device they are selling cheap now to a remote TV from your main PC?

I'll have to read more into this one, I'm a bit of a WD fanboy from years back and if it would work right with that I could stream things to the bedroom TV wireless that way without a phone I guess, I'm not an avid smart phone user.

I love both my WDTV boxes and still recommend them for people that prefer to stream media (no matter the format) from a network share/NAS etc... The box itself is what does the streaming to the TV... I do not know if you can "link" it with the ChromeTV USB thingy...

If you have any questions, feel free to post/pm, I'll answer what I can.

Was a pretty silly question to begin with, Ill research it more but still have an old I7-920 and most parts to build a third rig I could just setup in the bedroom on wireless and do what I want it too I guess.

Thanks much.

:thup:

Back