• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E Delidded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I didn't see this posted yet. So, here is a link via Kitguru to their story:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...ll-e-de-lidded-interesting-discoveries-found/

intel_haswell_e_delidded.jpg

Basically they damaged the chip but it shows two things: The heatspreader is soldered on, which is good news for us overclockers, and it damaged the CPU but that revealed 12 cores with 8 active.

Is this a cut-down Xeon? The soldering bit is definitely good news for overclocking. :D

Why would you have the cores if you can not activate them, unless they are selling old stock as a new generation :rolleyes:

Edit: Anyone know a date for release?

I doubt there will be a way to unlock it. Intel takes care of things like that. Overclockers have really limited options lately and it will be probably even worse in the next years. Intel is telling you what you can or can't overclock, unlock etc. Overclocking in general is losing any point and all become too easy like your OC was planned before you got the hardware. In the past overclockers were thinking how to make things faster. Now most are using auto options etc.

On the other hand I doubt this CPU will be popular as all CPUs from X series. $1k is too much even for most enthusiasts who buy expensive graphics cards. Graphics cards are at least giving some difference in games etc. More CPU cores will show advantage in servers and in some multithreaded benchmarks.
If new series will overclock similar to IB-E then I would think more about 10 core+ Xeons and overclock it using bclk.
Maybe haswell-e will bring something new as 1150 haswells are nothing really special ( including DC ).

Its disturbing to see this kind of damage to a chip. I easily remove soldered ihs plates for a continuing working processor....

Whatta shame :(

A bit off topic, but some general browsing shows you can't really oc the "new" devils canyon cpu, like Woomack says, your oc is planned for you already. Stock clocks are 4-4.4 with turbo, yet you really have to pile on voltage for any hopes of 5ghz? That's only 600mhz away. It's like the 939 toledo and sandieago chips that would only put out a 4-600mhz oc :/ it's all so disappointing. Overclocking was a lot more fun when it wasn't so mainstream, especially now that they've dumbed it down as much as they have.

That would be extremely generous of intel to let you get those cores back. It would almost make up for their boring CPU and chipsets. Maybe they were duds, maybe they weren't..

A bit off topic, but some general browsing shows you can't really oc the "new" devils canyon cpu, like Woomack says, your oc is planned for you already. Stock clocks are 4-4.4 with turbo, yet you really have to pile on voltage for any hopes of 5ghz? That's only 600mhz away. It's like the 939 toledo and sandieago chips that would only put out a 4-600mhz oc :/ it's all so disappointing. Overclocking was a lot more fun when it wasn't so mainstream, especially now that they've dumbed it down as much as they have.

That would be extremely generous of intel to let you get those cores back. It would almost make up for their boring CPU and chipsets. Maybe they were duds, maybe they weren't..

The 4790K is just a 4770K that's been OC'd... Of course you don't have much headroom.
Chips haven't consistently made 5GHz from Intel for daily usage since the Sandy Bridge days either...

That's because they are lazy :thup:

4-4.5 ghz is boring.. Been seeing those numbers consistently since wolfedale :D

Maybe I'm just asking for too much :shrug:

That's because they are lazy :thup:

4-4.5 ghz is boring.. Been seeing those numbers consistently since wolfedale :D

Maybe I'm just asking for too much :shrug:

Then put a 4770K/4790K on custom water and go for big numbers :thup:

I'd take a 4770K at stock vs a Wolf OCed to 4ghz any day.

And then get the water loop after laughing at the wolfdale chip and clobber it some more. :attn:

Well of course it is :D

I would drop big dollars on a new setup, but I would be bored of it in a day :rolleyes:

And with my new family, big dollars aren't as easy to come by :beer:

Why would you have the cores if you can not activate them, unless they are selling old stock as a new generation :rolleyes:

Perhaps for cost reasons. It is common practice to sell higher physical core count processors as lower models. The deactivated cores could be ones that are "bad", i.e. failed testing, while the active ones are "good". Instead of discarding the entire chip, why not sell them as a lower end processor?

Looks like this may just be Intel's response to the FX 9590. (9590 seems to not get much more than 5.1 if at all)

That's exactly what the FX-9590 is also, an overclocked FX-8350.
There's not as much headroom for OCing, but with great cooling you can push that cherry picked sample.

Is it so bad that overclocking is not that great these days? Obviously yes, but in my opinion it means they have found newer methods to produce a more reliable product at a specific voltage/freq. And many processors are plug/play in settings now, but maybe because they are closer to being the same.. It is not that they do not want these to be better, but maybe the hill is already close to the max - and they don't want everyone to step right off as most OC'ers will.. And even though we all assume we are "taking risks" with OC'ing / unlocking devices, we really are not as afraid these days, as usually there is a way to reverse paperweights (except for a fried chip).

If this is the same die as from the server CPU's, that means the stock fan would be a 7k fan ontop of a 1kg copper block, no way around it.. not many would really want all the cores after that noise.

Tbh if you pick Intel CPU then you don't really need overclocking. Overclocking was popular in the days when hardware was slow and every higher clock was giving some visible improvements. Right now you can buy any average CPU and everything will work without bigger problems. Even 3 year old computers are still fast enough for almost everything. It's one of reasons why computer sales are dropping.

When you decide on AMD CPU then in some cases you have to overclock it as performance won't be as high as expected. This is other story as they have only some % of home pc market. In business barely anyone is using AMD and server sales are really low for them too.

Maybe 90% computers are designed to work in home/office environment without overclocking and most users are not even thinking about overclocking. Average lifetime of desktop PC is about 3 years. In this time most users are replacing their computers as they see it as the only way to improve performance.

Overclocking and enthusiasts hardware is maybe 5% market. Most manufacturers are using it as a good way to promote their cheaper series. Like Intel makes records on high end enthusiast grade hardware and later all are buying Pentiums/i3. They don't care if something is overclocking 100MHz higher or lower as they have low profit on that hardware.

On the other hand office hardware is boring and hard to promote new series using Celerons or Pentiums ( excluding that 20th anniv. edition ).
Many brands care more about design and additional stuff. Look at apple. They have nothing to offer except design and their retina displays but somehow people are buying their overpriced hardware ... without chances on any OC or exceptional performance.

It's hard to blame Intel as they have no competition on the market so why they should even spend additional money when it's not giving them any profit.
The same are doing graphics cards manufacturers. We have 2 nearly equal manufacturers but each year they are selling 90% of old refreshed GPUs and 1-2 new. These new series are only to show they have the fastest GPU on the market ... for next 5-6 months when other brand is releasing slightly faster chip.

Why, kryj, would on have to put a copper block and 7k fan on it? It's the same tdp, 125w isn't it?

Anyway, I certainly expected IB-e to have solder considering they all had that before and the tdp didn't really go down, but density increased.

Back