• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E Delidded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why, kryj, would on have to put a copper block and 7k fan on it? It's the same tdp, 125w isn't it?

Anyway, I certainly expected IB-e to have solder considering they all had that before and the tdp didn't really go down, but density increased.

I am talking more if all of the cores were unlocked and this was to be let free..

I am content with my CPU @ stock clocks :D

I feel the same way.. Personally I never noticed a performance difference (for games at least) when it comes to tweaking the cpu a little more - except for benching numbers. If you need a workstation, then that is different then a desktop (or should be imo).

I am talking more if all of the cores were unlocked and this was to be let free..

If more cores were unlocked, intel would simply decrease the stock frequency and vcore to keep cpu in same power/thermal envelope 130-140W. They do this with server cpus with higher cores.

Even the 5960X 8 core cpu is 3.3 max turbo at stock. The 3 others with fewer cores go up to 3.8/4 max turbo. More cores = lower stock frequency/lower stock vid to maintain power/thermal envelope.

All 4 may well overclock the same, then the extra power of one with most cores is the end users cooling problem, as intel only has to worry about stock and that is easily maintained by altering mhz/vcore. Which is why sometimes enthusiast cpus dont come with a cooling solution as once overclocked they require water, or at least high end air, hence the stock cooler is wasted money.

If more cores were unlocked, intel would simply decrease the stock frequency and vcore to keep cpu in same power/thermal envelope 130-140W. They do this with server cpus with higher cores.

Even the 5960X 8 core cpu is 3.3 max turbo at stock. The 3 others with fewer cores go up to 3.8/4 max turbo. More cores = lower stock frequency/lower stock vid to maintain power/thermal envelope.

All 4 may well overclock the same, then the extra power of one with most cores is the end users cooling problem, as intel only has to worry about stock and that is easily maintained by altering mhz/vcore. Which is why sometimes enthusiast cpus dont come with a cooling solution as once overclocked they require water, or at least high end air, hence the stock cooler is wasted money.

Yea, that makes sense. Obviously I would rather have the cores there and be able to OC as much as possible..

Back