• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your Thermal Grease??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
Curious, not up for a debate or anything, but would just like to know what users use what Thermal Interface Compound.

Me? Antec Formula 6 or 7 - Some years ago, was using AS5 <-- still good stuff!

Thanks for your responses!!

:comp:

My thermal grease is gray :) But really MX4, Zalman STG2 or Gelid Supreme. Whatever is available on stock as all of them give similar results and graphics cards like them. Also price is reasonable. Except that I have some MX2 as store sent it by mistake and I just didn't want to send it back.
In general I try to stick to Gelid Supreme as it's in bigger tubes than MX4/MX2 or Zalman so price is much lower and I'm using a lot of it. When it's not available then I pick some others.
There is also Phobya version of LCP which was cheaper and inside is the same ... for delidding only ;)
Sometimes I'm trying new TIMs but not always with success. Last fail was BeQuiet grease which was terrible to apply and was giving worse results than MX4 in similar price.

I like the Phobya He grease extreme the best so far but I have a few different ones, AS ceramique II is pretty good. I like the ones that are easy to put on and take off myself. Also have a big tube of AS5 still that gets used when I run out of others.

I've been using the TIM that comes with Noctua coolers. Based on personal experience as well as numerous forum comments over the years, I've come to the conclusion that their TIM is one of the best. I also successfully used it when I delidded my 3770K and 4770K.

I've been using the TIM that comes with Noctua coolers. Based on personal experience as well as numerous forum comments over the years, I've come to the conclusion that their TIM is one of the best. I also successfully used it when I delidded my 3770K and 4770K.

+1 to this.

Not only is it one of the better TIMs out there (we're splitting down to 1-2°C difference here, but still), but it also is very easy to apply and clean up and has no curing time.

I've always used AS5. I used the Zalman brush on grease before too. Once I get my board back from RMA I'm planning on giving the Noctua a run that came with my NH-D14. By all acounts it should be better.

Mx-2... got great deals on it cheap and its around 1C or so of the 'best' while costing much less... I'm not after 1C more than I six pack of beer with the money I saved. :p

Mx-2... got great deals on it cheap and its around 1C or so of the 'best' while costing much less... I'm not after 1C more than I six pack of beer with the money I saved. :p

Completely agree. I bought a handful or syringes of it when it was on sale for a couple bucks a piece.

I've used Ceramique for ages, until the giant syringe hardened :-/. Saw a deal for MX4 and snapped that up. So far I'm really liking the MX4 and the difference between the 2 is like 1-2c :D

I used AS Ceramique for several years, replaced that tube with an AS5 & have been using it for about 5 years. I don't bench these days so it isn't really that big of a deal now.

Dunno, depends on what I am applying it to. While I don't use my Arctic Ceramique often, I primarily use AS5, since it's available even at Radio Shack. I do have a big toothpaste tube of plain jane white paste (like you see on power supply mosfet heatsinks) that my dad used to use at HP when it worked there. That stuff goes on my Pentium 1 and 2 chips, things that are not as critical for cooling.

Back