• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got any limited budget recommendations for a first time photographer? Was looking at a Nikon D3300, but that is way beyond my price range. Something closer to $200?

I am looking for a new hobby that doesn't have much in the way of upkeep costs, and my phone takes horribly grainy pictures, preventing me from getting a clear shot.

If someone could PM me so the thread doesn't get off topic too much, that would be very appreciated.

Got any limited budget recommendations for a first time photographer? Was looking at a Nikon D3300, but that is way beyond my price range. Something closer to $200?

I am looking for a new hobby that doesn't have much in the way of upkeep costs, and my phone takes horribly grainy pictures, preventing me from getting a clear shot.

If someone could PM me so the thread doesn't get off topic too much, that would be very appreciated.
Look for used digital cameras. eBay, Craig's list, etc.

Canon Powershot and Nikon Coolpix are a less expensive option to a full blown DSLR. The quality has improved with those models compared to several years ago. I have the first generation of this Coolpix L840 and was pretty happy with its performance.

If you can get your hands on a used Canon G15 (or any of the Canon Powershot G series really), it will serve you very well. This is what I used to shoot with prior to moving to a full blown DSLR setup, and it produced excellent images. It also allows RAW image format to be recorded in case you want to get in to Post Processing of your images.

I haven't posted here in a while, so here's one from last year.
Morant's Curve on the Bow Valley Parkway (Hwy1A) between Banff and Lake Louise, AB.
The sun was blasting me right in the face but I wanted a timed exposure, so I threw on the LEE Big Stopper and dropped the aperture down to f22.
The cloud and water movement came out about how I expected, but what really pleased me was the lighting on the big tree in the foreground.
28599608400_403c4d69c0_h.jpg Morant's Curve by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

Aaaannnd I just realized that I already posted the photo above in August of last year. Sorry about that.
Here's one I haven't posted yet, that is pretty cool. It's of my wife doing some black powder shooting out on Vancouver Island in Summer of 2015.
Click on the picture to view in full size HD, there's some pretty awesome detail in the explosion! :)
26308914472_e83c5a3f8c_h.jpg Not just a flash in the pan! by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

You're right, super cool detail in the flinch-lock explosion!

BTW O_W, I didn't see the glow sticks on my notebook. Very nice little detail add to the pic. I always like the way you play with light. :)

Someone's been spending too much at tax time. That someone is me.

Bought the first of the planned big money lenses about 2 weeks back - this is it. Nikkor 20mm f1.8 G. This shot was at f1.8, 25 seconds, ISO 3200. Worth every penny. Almost lost out to the Tamron 15-30 f2.8, but I decided it was better to go light and get that f1.8 with easy filter mounting than go for the zoom. Happy with my choice, though I think I'll be stopping down to f2.8 for most things.

Even so, f1.8 performs real nice I gotta say.

DSC_2007.jpg

That's a really nice composition. Lot's going on!
Someone's been spending too much at tax time. That someone is me.

Bought the first of the planned big money lenses about 2 weeks back - this is it. Nikkor 20mm f1.8 G. This shot was at f1.8, 25 seconds, ISO 3200. Worth every penny. Almost lost out to the Tamron 15-30 f2.8, but I decided it was better to go light and get that f1.8 with easy filter mounting than go for the zoom. Happy with my choice, though I think I'll be stopping down to f2.8 for most things.

Even so, f1.8 performs real nice I gotta say.

That Tamron 15-30 is an extremely nice lens, but due to the convex objective lens it was going to be difficult to use any type of filter. I'd say you probably made the right decision for a number of reasons.
I opted for the Sigma 24mm Art f1.4 and that is one fine lens let me tell you.
Here's a sample(with polarizer and gradient ND):
26276636644_db1736cd54_h.jpg The Lookout on Hwy 532 - Redux by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

That Tamron 15-30 is an extremely nice lens, but due to the convex objective lens it was going to be difficult to use any type of filter. I'd say you probably made the right decision for a number of reasons.

Yeah, I couldn't be more pleased. The Sigma 14mm f1.8 may tempt me yet, but this lens is wide enough for me right now.

This is the one that made my website, processed with luminosity masks. Upped ISO to 5000 for it. I cannot believe I ever thought a D800 wasn't going to be good enough for low light. It's just fine.

DSC_2009.jpg

Yeah, I couldn't be more pleased. The Sigma 14mm f1.8 may tempt me yet, but this lens is wide enough for me right now.

This is the one that made my website, processed with luminosity masks. Upped ISO to 5000 for it. I cannot believe I ever thought a D800 wasn't going to be good enough for low light. It's just fine.

Sure, if by "just fine" you mean "freaking amazing in OW's hands"!

View attachment 189789
Wow...just wow OW!

Here's one taken from my balcony during the Calgary Stampede in 2015. At the bottom of the frame you can see the Saddledome, where the Flames play.
I got a lot of good shots with that old 400mm f5.6L, kinda wish I still had it.
Anyhow, this shot is actually a composite of 3 or 4 detonations, separated by holding a black card over the lens between each event.
19436290419_97c1c2eca8_h.jpg IMG_2716 by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

Last edited:
Storm season has kicked off here, and though these storms are still way too weak to maintain lightning after dark I did a test run anyway yesterday so I can get used to the D800 on storm chases.

Gained new appreciation for that dirt cheap 28-70 f3.5-4.5 while I was at it. The sun was at the very top of the frame... not one bit of lens flare. The sunrays were cropped out otherwise you could see them. No hood, just my variable ND filter on the front. That lens really is a flare killer. I was going to use my 50mm prime for lightning this year, but honestly I think I need to give this lens a serious shot at it first. The 50mm is nice, but not really needed at the apertures I shoot lightning at.

DSC_2108.jpg

Back